The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 12, 2010, 10:00 AM   #1
mtnman

.300 Savage

I am thinking of buying a deer rifle for my daughter and want it to be something special. I am trying to get a savage model 99 my plan was to get one in .250-3000 but I am having trouble finding one in that caliber that I can afford. My question is, is it possible to use a 125 or 110 gn bullet and work a load that will take a deer at 100 yards but not be too rough on the shoulder of a 110lb girl. She is also a little recoil shy, she shoots a .223 right now but that is a little on the light side.
Old January 12, 2010, 10:23 AM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

125s would be better. I've heard of issues getting the 110s to stabilize through the rifling of most .30 calibers. Those short bullets do better with slower rifling twists, whereas the longer, heavier bullets do best with faster twists.

Also, I've heard of serious issues getting the 110s to hold together to penetrate.

The .300 Savage is one of the great cartridges and is my personal favorite.

That said, its design can make it a bit of a pain in the butt to reload. It has a sharp, short shoulder and a short neck. That, and the fact that it's a lever gun chambering, can make die adjustment crucial to getting smooth chambering.

Some people have had to resort to smallbase dies to get the proper resizing. Fortunately, I never have had to do that.

As for the rifle itself...

Expand your search a little bit. The 99 was also made in .243, 7mm-08 (uncommon) and .308 Winchester.

Any of those would be right in the sweetspot for hunting deer and would be a good choice for someone who is recoil shy.

If you don't mind traveling a little bit, head up to Pennsylvania and scout the gunshops and gunshows up there. Because PA doesn't allow semi-autos for deer season, the 99 was (and still is) VERY popular up there. Any time I go to one of the gunshows at the York Fair Grounds or in Harrsiburg I generally see a LOT (as in dozens) of 99s.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old January 12, 2010, 01:09 PM   #3
thekyrifleman

A friend of mine uses 125's in his Savage 99. They haven't failed him yet. Seems to work quite well.
Old January 12, 2010, 01:24 PM   #4
TATER

The 99 was chambered in 284 win. I Don’t remember 7mm-08 though.
I think my next build is going to be 284 Win.
Old January 12, 2010, 01:28 PM   #5
wncchester

"My question is, is it possible to use a 125 or 110 gn bullet and work a load that will take a deer at 100 yards but not be too rough on the shoulder of a 110lb girl."

A Barne's 130 gr. loaded to about 2000 fps would be ideal, and in a great classic game cartridge and rifle.
Old January 12, 2010, 01:45 PM   #6
Mike Irwin
Staff

"The 99 was chambered in 284 win. I Don’t remember 7mm-08 though."

Was chambered for a number of years in, IIRC, the 1980s, and only in the detachable magazine version.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old January 12, 2010, 11:34 PM   #7
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Assuming she is wearing hunting clothes so her shoulder is padded and assuming the stock fits her she shouldn't have any problems with the recoil for a 300 Savage with standard hunting loads. If it to much for her the suggestion of a .243 was a good one but I doubt if you have a problem. Bigger problem is stock not fitting, their hold is awkward and it slaps them hard because they don't have a good stance or a good grip.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old January 13, 2010, 10:46 AM   #8
mtnman

Thanks for the info guys. I was looking for the rifle for myself and was going to let her use it till she decided if she was going to hunt long term. She went bow hunting this year and took her first deer. After that she has had some interest in hunting so I let her use the mini 14. If she wants to continue to hunt with the model 99 then I will let her keep it. If she hunting but not crazy about the rifle. Then I'll get her another, just don't have the money for both now. I found a reloading manual and it looks like from that and the info I have learned from all of you that it is possible to load a lower recoiling round for the 300 Savage that is still capable of taking a deer at 100 yards.
Old February 7, 2010, 04:45 PM   #9
Jack O'Conner

Hey Mountain Man!

300 savage ammo is getting more expensive as time rolls by yet 308 ammo is still often discounted just before deer season. Recoil can be reduced by purchasing Managed Recoil Ammo by Remington or LITE ammo by FEDERAL.

Another option is sending the rifle to Magna-Port in Michigan. They cut four trapazoid shaped holes near the muzzle which eliminates muzzle jump, reduces recoil to 22-250 level, and does not harm the blueing. Maga-ported rifles do not wreck your eardrums like a muzzle break. Cost is approx $150. plus shipping.

Jack
Old February 8, 2010, 01:13 AM   #10
bigwrench

About 20 years ago a budy and myself both hunted with 99's in .308. At the time I only had dabbled in reloading but he was realy into it. He reloaded some 110 grain amo for he and myself that actualy shot from my 99 better than anything I had put threw it before or since. And, because of that the 110 grain load was all I used on muleys for years. I dont know what the recipe was, not do I remember what bullets he used but I do remember that the where round nose soft points. Oh, and by the way they shot realy well out of his 99 also.
Old February 8, 2010, 07:43 AM   #11
shafter

The 99's are great rifles and they don't seem to kick too bad. That being said my shoulders are a lot bigger than a 110lb girl.

If she's really recoil shy or you don't want to make her recoil shy then why not get a 357mag levergun? I've never shot one myself but I hear that they can be loaded pretty hot without punishing recoil. The same for 45 colt. Maybe you can save the 99 for her sweet sixteen. Just a thought
Old February 8, 2010, 08:50 AM   #12
270winforlife

unless you are fixed on that caliber, I would think that starting her off with a 30-30 or the new 6.8 spc, would definately take a deer cleanly. I don't know the numbers offhand, but I would think that the 250-3000 has a bit more speed than the 30-30 but the same energy upto a certain distance. So if you're hunting upto 150 yards, I've seen 30-30 rounds make devestating exit holes on large blackbears. Don't always go by the numbers on paper, but see what the bullets do to animals and you'll treat 2000fps like alot of people are treating 3000 fps.
Old February 8, 2010, 09:18 AM   #13
res45

Sav. 99 in 250-3000 was the first Centerfire cartridge to hit 3000 fps. I have a Sav.99 in 300 Sav. love the rifle,the short case neck limits you to bullets in the 150 to 165 gr. range to keep the bullets base from going down into the shoulder area which can often lead to poorer accuracy.

Flat base bullet work best up to 300 yds. reloadable brass is readily available or you can form you own for 308 brass it's the same case with a sharper shoulder angle hence the short neck. Cast bullet loads from 150 to 170 grs. shoot as accurately as any jacketed load,have lower recoil and MV than a 30-30 and will killed deer up to 200 lbs. just as dead.