The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 2, 2011, 09:40 AM   #1
DeeDubya

Wildey Survivor

Greetings from San Marcos, TX.
I recently picked up a used Wildey in 45 win mag, a caliber that I have considerable reloading experience with for the Contender. This gun is in pristine condition and my guess would be a box or two of ammo; however, there seems to be a slight problem with the transfer bar or possibly the transfer bar spring as it sometimes fails to fully cock in the DA mode and strips over occasionally when firing SA. I'm guessing it's the spring but maybe someone here can me out. Has anyone else had this problem?

Whidh brings about another question... where can I get parts for the Wildey? The website number still goes to voice mail but who knows if anyone checks it or would actually return the call. My emails have not been replied.

I find this to be a very informative (no-nonsense) forum. I hope to have an opportunity to contribute.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wildey 020.jpg (227.3 KB, 101 views)

NRA Life Member
Old November 2, 2011, 08:43 PM   #2
wmbanse

first off, no idea about parts. damn shame too.

as for the da trigger i found the same issue with mine to be caused by my grip. i was partially engaging the safety. i also (different time) found a small spring that had been dislodged, it was near the top of the trigger (memory is faded) and appeared to be a double wound with a stop that entered just below the slide rails on the frame. once the "tail" or the spring was inserted the trigger pulls got better.

sorry for the non technical names but i dont have my referances here to look at.

v/r
bb
Old November 2, 2011, 10:29 PM   #3
reticle

Do you have the manual? I looked up the PDF manual on Wildeyguns.com and the trouble shooting section describes a condition like you have. The remedy appears to be that it needs to be adjusted for more gas. You likely know this, but Wildeys have a gas adjuster to accomdate different loads.

here's the link.

Last edited by reticle; November 2, 2011 at 10:42 PM.
Old November 2, 2011, 10:33 PM   #4
shootniron

Great looking collector you have there.

Last edited by shootniron; November 3, 2011 at 08:50 AM.
Old November 3, 2011, 07:25 AM   #5
DeeDubya

"Do you have the manual? I looked up the PDF manual on Wildeyguns.com and the trouble shooting section describes a condition like you have. The remedy appears to be that it needs to be adjusted for more gas. You likely know this, but Wildeys have a gas adjuster to accomdate different loads."

It's totally a trigger problem. Sometimes when I cock it for SA and pull the trigger it just clicks and the hammer doesn't fall. Then in DA the hammer pulls about halfway back and drops before it should. I'm having a gunsmith look at it today. I'm fairly sure it's a minor thing. But even a small part might be hard to get these days.

NRA Life Member
Old November 3, 2011, 08:09 AM   #6
Skans

I thought I was going to read about how someone was shot with a Wildey in 45 win mag...and survived!
Old November 3, 2011, 08:40 AM   #7
DeeDubya

Good one Skans. I should have juiced up the subject line a little (Wildey Survivor Incapacitated)

NRA Life Member
Old November 3, 2011, 08:49 AM   #8
reticle

Well it's a nice gun. Let us know what you find out...