The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 6, 2010, 12:41 PM   #1
crimsondave

RCBS Gold Medal Neck Sizer

I don't know how many of you use this die, but I'd just like to give my opinion on it. I HATE it! :barf: I just got one in and you have to take the friggin thing apart to install the proper bushing! Oh, and they don't tell you which bushing to use, and the die doesn't come with one. They tell you which one they think you might need, but then say you may need one size different.

I'm going back to my Lee Collet die. Screw it in, size, screw it out. You may have to honk down on it, but we're men, right?
Old February 6, 2010, 04:52 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

Those bushing dies, regardless of the brand, can require a different bushing for each lot of brass you have, just because the neck thickness vary. To figure out the bushing for a lot, measure a loaded round OD over the bullet. Subtract about 0.001"-0.002" and get a bushing in that size range, but be sure your measurement is accurate. Use an OD thimble micrometer that resolves 0.0001" and not a caliper that only reads half thousandths. It is not uncommon for caliper readings to be off as much as 0.002" and you're trying to see an absolute difference that small to order the bushing.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old February 6, 2010, 08:44 PM   #3
crimsondave

Quote:
Those bushing dies, regardless of the brand, can require a different bushing for each lot of brass you have, just because the neck thickness vary. To figure out the bushing for a lot, measure a loaded round OD over the bullet. Subtract about 0.001"-0.002" and get a bushing in that size range, but be sure your measurement is accurate. Use an OD thimble micrometer that resolves 0.0001" and not a caliper that only reads half thousandths. It is not uncommon for caliper readings to be off as much as 0.002" and you're trying to see an absolute difference that small to order the bushing.
What advantage do you get from this type die over a Collet die?
Old February 7, 2010, 12:46 PM   #4
mrawesome22

You have to turn the neck on all your brass for these bushing dies to work because they size from the outside. One advantage I can think of is that there is no need to lube the inside of the case mouth with a bushing die. Another advantage is that it is not a Lee product.:barf:
Old February 8, 2010, 10:14 AM   #5
F. Guffey

First I order a catalog and additional catalogs, RCBS offers a special order catalog that list dies not listed in the product catalog that include dies for forming cases and the parent case to be used.

The Product Catalog list two different sets of dies that, the competition rifle dies starts out "These dies aren't for everybody" (skip) then it concludes with:

NOTE: Competition dies do not require neck bushings.

The product catalog list the Gold Medal match series dies without the bushing, it gives the rational and the method used for determining the correct bushing, the bushing used by RCBS is the same bushing used by Redding.

I use the seater die, Gold Medal and Competition dies only, I do not have the sizer dies, I use the versatile full length sizer dies, it full length sizes, neck sizes, partial neck sizes and with the companion to the press tool 'the feeler gage' the full length sizer can be used to control the length of the case from the head of the case to it's shoulder.

The Competition seater die for the 30/06 body can be used to seat bullets for the 308 Winchester and 8MM with the addition of two parts, an extended shell holder and an 8 mm bullet guide.

Product knowledge,

"I don't know how many of you use this die, but I'd just like to give my opinion on it. I HATE it! I just got one in and you have to take the friggin thing apart to install the proper bushing! Oh, and they don't tell you which bushing to use, and the die doesn't come with one. They tell you which one they think you might need, but then say you may need one size different.

I'm going back to my Lee Collet die. Screw it in, size, screw it out. You may have to honk down on it, but we're men, right?"

I believe RCBS would welcome the die back, I would not suggest you tell them you were blind sided by something you were not informed of, I would suggest you tell them the the Gold Medal Match Series Dies are not for everyone.

F. Guffey
Old February 8, 2010, 02:23 PM   #6
crimsondave

Quote:
I believe RCBS would welcome the die back, I would not suggest you tell them you were blind sided by something you were not informed of, I would suggest you tell them the the Gold Medal Match Series Dies are not for everyone.
I bought it from Midway. They would take it back no questions asked. I may return it for a different neck sizer.
Old February 8, 2010, 02:50 PM   #7
bigautomatic

The die that you have isn't going to do much more than a standard neck sizer if you don't turn the necks. The purpose is to have consistent neck tension with whatever bullet you are using, and to fit custom chambers, as they will all fly differently with different neck tension. If your necks vary in thickness, you are just as well off with a standard die in my opinion.
Old February 8, 2010, 03:14 PM   #8
F. Guffey

The Gold Medal sizer die from RCBS is $61.95, the Competition Rifle die sizer die cost $46.95 from RCBS, less from Midway, The bushing cost $14.95 for the steel bushing and $24.95 each for coated neck bushing.

In my opinion that is some serious reloading equipment, for me bushing are not a problem , as a last resort I have adjustable reamers and no less than 50 pounds of straight reamers, back when I had a honing machine it was from difficult to impossible (expensive) to get below a certain diameter, that left reaming as the only option.

I made a few seater bushings that do not require a die, the bushing in no way replaces the Competition Rifle seater die or the Gold Medal seater die, but for $114.95 for the Gold medal seater and $77.95 for the competition seater die from RCBS I had to try. Not a problem but the ride up inside the die before it is seated has always been iffy because of the chance it will tilt, cant, on lean and get misaligned with the mouth of the case, causing the neck to bulge below the mouth or bulge the case at the shoulder.

F. Guffey
Old February 8, 2010, 03:23 PM   #9
ForneyRider

I use Lee collet and Redding Bushing-S dies.

You can experiment with several bushings for different neck tension.

I bought 2 bushings for my first set in .223 Rem.

It's easier, for me, to partial neck size with a bushing die than the Lee and be consistent. I tend to be inconsistent with the Lee because it is a feel thing, whereas the bushing die, it is range of motion.

Bushing dies can leave a donut at the neck-shoulder junction.

Post in a forum, use the manufacturer's suggestion or call the manufacturer to get the right size button. I think the buttons are universal across RCBS, Redding and Forster brand dies.
Old February 8, 2010, 04:56 PM   #10
F. Guffey

Forney Rider, yes brass flows, stretches and (the part no one talks about) compresses, if brass is not allowed to stretch or flow, it wads up, goes to cause and effect.

F. Guffey