The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

View Poll Results: What would you prefer to use in a fight?
CAR-15 6 100.00%
Katana 0 0%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old September 30, 2009, 08:54 PM   #1
AMBlue80

CAR-15 vs Katana

I'm not sure this is the best place to make this thread so I apologize ahead of time if it isn't. I am curious to find out what you guys think about what is the better weapon between the two. I think at first it makes sense to choose the carbine but consider that it is notorious for jamming and low stopping power because of it's short 10 inch barrel and 5.56 mm ammunition. This is compared to the katana which is reliable and extremely powerful. Obvously it has the disadvantage of a short range though. Please keep it civil, I am hoping to get some good discussions out of this.
Old September 30, 2009, 08:58 PM   #2
BobbyT

Clearly anyone who's serious about home protection has the katana mounted beneath the AR barrel (10" SBR for maneuverability, obviously) to cover all bases.
Old September 30, 2009, 08:58 PM   #3
KLRANGL

Something about not bringing a knife to a gunfight... or sword.... or something...

Quote:
but consider that it is notorious for jamming and low stopping power because of it's short 10 inch barrel and 5.56 mm ammunition.
Please do not perpetuate internet myths as fact... Much reading up on the AR15, you must do...

Oh, and for the record...
Old September 30, 2009, 09:08 PM   #4
Willie Lowman

Quote:
Please keep it civil, I am hoping to get some good discussions out of this.
That is not going to happen. This question is quite unrealistic and has nothing to do with Tactics or Training.

This is what we scientists call a stupid question.

When you ask a stupid question you get stupid answers.

My answer to you is neither. I cast fireball.
Old September 30, 2009, 09:08 PM   #5
Beentown71

Sniff, sniff. Um does someone smell NINJA. J/K AR everytime.

Beentown

Time for the Mall Ninja list:
Beretta 92fs, Springer XD9, High Standard Model HB, RRA bull bbl...aw heck with it time to go plink
Old September 30, 2009, 09:40 PM   #6
AMBlue80

I think we should also consider the Tueller drill which states that someone with an edged weapon would be able get to a target 21 feet away before the target was able engage them with a firearm. Even if you're able to strike them in time with the CAR-15, the 5.56 mm rounds isn't necessarily going stop them especially if they're wearing thick clothing or body armor. I think the central nervous system is a difficult target to consistantly hit on a target moving quickly towards you. Also, there's a possibility the weapon could jam.
Old September 30, 2009, 09:47 PM   #7
Mr. Davis

I think you've already made your decision. I'm sure (barring a brain stem shot from the BG), that you could get to the BG and injure him pretty badly before succumbing to your GSWs, but that isn't really the point, is it?

To directly answer your question, the gun every time.

If you have experience with a specific AR that jams so badly that you can't trust it in a home defense situation, get it fixed or buy a new one.

If you are expecting men wearing body armor to attack you in your home, you should probably stop what you're doing to get that kind of attention.

If you're anticipating the 5.56 to have insufficient stopping power, there are hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of dead folk who would take issue with that. And the great thing about an AR is that if the first few shots don't do the job, and the attack is continuing, just keep pulling the trigger. An assailant isn't going to soak up 30 rounds before ceasing their attack.
Old September 30, 2009, 09:53 PM   #8
danweasel

Mall samurai!
Old September 30, 2009, 09:55 PM   #9
danweasel

Hey after I posted I checked, Katana is winning 3-4!!!!

Made you look!
Old September 30, 2009, 10:01 PM   #10
KLRANGL

Lets just sort of pick this apart, shall we?

Quote:
I think we should also consider the Tueller drill which states that someone with an edged weapon would be able get to a target 21 feet away before the target was able engage them with a firearm.
21ft in the time it takes to draw and fire a weapon. The BG already has his out. Its a matter of point and click for him...

Quote:
Even if you're able to strike them in time with the CAR-15, the 5.56 mm rounds isn't necessarily going stop them
While I'm not a big fan of the 5.56 round, it certainly serves its purpose, and is much much better than any pistol round will do. Its problem is in its inconsistency to fragment. Looking at some of the HD and LEO rounds out for it, they certainly have the stopping power.

Quote:
especially if they're wearing thick clothing or body armor.
And a sword will do any better?

Quote:
I think the central nervous system is a difficult target to consistantly hit on a target moving quickly towards you.
So instead, you'd give up your chance of hitting them at range, and let them get right up next to you? At sword distance, you certainly cant miss with an AR...

Quote:
Also, there's a possibility the weapon could jam.
That's a possibility in any self-loading firearm, not just the AR15. And certainly not a reason to discount a firearm altogether. And saying (if you are) that the AR15 is an unreliable platform, especially in a controlled, non-hostile environment such as your house, is a bit ridiculous...

Its really a loosing battle to argue a sword over any firearm. The firearm is simply the better tool for the job.
Old September 30, 2009, 10:11 PM   #11
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Please keep it civil, I am hoping to get some good discussions out of this.
And..

Quote:
That is not going to happen. This question is quite unrealistic and has nothing to do with Tactics or Training.
And that pretty much says it all.

Closed.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Closed Thread