The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 16, 2009, 04:45 PM   #26
sdkidaho

I have tried to change to the philosophy of "Buy what you want the first time and be happy, rather than buy what you think you can afford, and upgrade later anyway."

I definitely looked at the Dillon stuff and it does look awesome, and I hadn't really thought that the cheaper it was to produce ammo the more likely I was to shoot more, which now that that's been said, it makes perfect sense.

Quote:
dlb435 said: We're going to talk this guy into a Dillon 650 w/ case feeder in no time at all.
So now I'm thinking maybe I'll reconsider and maybe spend a little more to begin with, so now I'm thinking it's between the Lyman and maybe the Dillon. So now my question is, is something like the Dillon Square Deal B similar in what I would need if I bought the Lyman kit? Meaning, does it have everything I need (minus dies) to get going right out of the box?

Thanks for the input, guys, I really appreciate it.
Old April 16, 2009, 07:27 PM   #27
rwilson452

I would stay away from the Square Deal press. the dies are proprietary and not cheap.
Old April 16, 2009, 10:57 PM   #28
Stealff

I've got a Hornady Lock and Load setup, it works great for what I am doing.
although it is almost to short of a press to reload my 300 ultra mag. the kit comes with everything you need to start minus shellholders. for dies I would recomend RCBS.
Old April 17, 2009, 12:22 AM   #29
vsgonzo

Dillon 650 is the one you want. Square deal is just pistol. The 650 is like the 550. But is auto progressive and it has 5 die slots. 1 size/deprime 2 powder 3 powder check 4 seat 5 crimp. Or what ever you want. Dillon powder measureis very accurate with fine grain powder
Old April 17, 2009, 08:39 AM   #30
ilbob

I think it is best to learn reloading on a single stage press. You are probably going to need one anyway, even if you get a progressive press down the road.

Load a few thousand rounds on a single stage press first.

A lot of people exaggerate the production rate of their progressive presses. Not on purpose, but they forget time spent reloading primer tubes and such.

If you are well organized, you can do a couple hundred rounds an hour on a single stage press.

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.
Old April 17, 2009, 11:22 AM   #31
Tucker 2

Newby observations on this. I had never been around any reloading. I knew one person who loaded, he lived 2000 mi. away. I knew so little I didn't know the right questions to ask. I bought a Dillon Square Deal B used, at a gun show on a whim. It was set up for .38 sp and I have a S&W 15 and a Marlin rifle that shoot that round and would be easy to load. I went slow, I read a lot, I asked questions, it wasn't hard. I can not imagine loading pistol rounds on a single stage press. I'll get another press later if I decide to reload for the one center fire rifle I own.

The Sq Deal b will only reload pistol. The dies are a little expensive, and will only work on this press. The physical size of this press is a little small, if you have really big hands (like me) getting your fingers in to set the bullet or insert a case can be an issue (this is my only real complaint, but my big hands shake a bit too, that doesn't help).

The Sq. Deal b will crank out the rounds (400+ / hour) when you have the rhythm going. It is not more complicated than a single stage, just different. Dillon as well as most other makers have no bull warranties so that's a great thing. They hold their value. If the machine is not working well, there is a very good chance that the problem is the operator.

The 550b is the way to go if you have a little more money to spend.

More info on prices (though I would urge you to go used)... http://www.brianenos.com/pages/dillon.html

Check out the Dillon Sq. Deal b and the Dillon 550b along with the other machines that have been mentioned on U-TUBE.

Here's one to get you started. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRZrb...eature=related

Get this:

"The Bullet Puller is Your Friend". Plato 427 BC

Disclaimer: I'm a newby I know nothing. I used to think that ... Sierra 115 gr, meant that Sierra made a a nice bullet # 115 and it had Good Reviews. Most importantly , I have never loaded on another machine.

Last edited by Tucker 2; April 17, 2009 at 11:30 AM.
Old April 17, 2009, 03:07 PM   #32
E.J.W.

sdkidaho,
I started out like many on a single stage RCBS RS3 over 20 years ago.
I still have my RS3 bolted to my bench next to my Rockchucker. For my metallic ammo needs I never have gone to a progressive. My reloading time comes in small blocks. One night I deprime/size previously tumbled brass, a few days later I expand and re-prime then lastly when I get the rare 45 min plus block, I'll powder charge and seat bullets.
I do load my 12ga shotshell an a MEC 9000 progressive. Only because I got hooked on trap shooting and a progressive was the only thing that can keep my hungry Beretta 687 EEL fed.
Thanks and good shootin'
E.