The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 13, 2008, 07:45 PM   #1
Leif

BT-99 Grinding Issue, or, Please Tell Me I Didn't Just Wreck My New Shotgun

So, the past few weeks have not been great. First, a Kimber 82 with a cracked stock that had to be returned; then, a problematic Winchester 94 that wasn't supposed to be so.

Now, I went shooting a few rounds of trap with a BT-99 that I bought new in May of this year. The action is stiff, as apparently it supposed to be when new. However, when I took the gun down at the end of that day's shooting, I noticed that the surfaces where the action mates to the forearm are completely scratched and "torn up" for lack of a better description on their left side (there is no damage on the opposite side). It looks a bit like someone took a very rough grinding tool to that side. I'll try to post pictures later, but in the interim, what happened? Did the metal bind here? Did I destroy or irrevocably damage my shotgun?

Please help. Thanks!
Old October 13, 2008, 08:20 PM   #2
Harry Bonar

rough

Sir;
Are you sure that where you are buying these guns are selling you NEW guns. Seems like too much trouble for new guns!
Harry B.
Old October 13, 2008, 08:35 PM   #3
Leif

Three different sellers for the three guns. The BT-99 was new in box, and the damage was subsequent to use, i.e., attributable to me.
Old October 23, 2008, 01:44 PM   #4
ndking1126

If shooting a gun voids it's warranty, I don't see what good a warranty is.. If all you did was load it, shoot and break it apart per the manufacturer's instructions, I don't see how they could NOT fix it for you.

But to answer your question, I don't know anything about it!
Old October 23, 2008, 02:50 PM   #5
10-96

I just can't get a good mental picture of exactly where he is talking about. But I wonders if the problem wouldn't have been prevented if the parts were cleaned and de-burred (if needed) prior to shooting, after purchase or whatever.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old October 23, 2008, 08:40 PM   #6
Ruger4570

I don't know the extent of your guns damage, but you should be using SOME kind of grease on the mating surfaces. I use STOS for no particular reason other than it is clear and won't stain my shirt with an over the shoulder carry. I bought a used BT-99 several years ago and it had some galling of these surfaces, I have religiously greased it every outing and I have not had any problems with it. When done shooting wipe the old grease off and apply new grease. I hope you fare as well.
Old October 24, 2008, 11:18 AM   #7
Scorch

I have seen the damage you are describing numerous times, and even my Citori shotgun has the same marks on it after use. The culprit is metal to metal contact. The receivers are very closely fitted at the factory, and in use they will begin to wear one side or the other as dirt or unburnt powder land in the action and deflect the uniblock slightly. While unsightly, it is entirely normal.

If you are so inclined, you can either stone the galled area down, sand the area with fine wet/dry paper on a metal block, take the gun to a gunsmith and have it jeweled, or just shoot it as it is. Use a good gun grease to reduce future galling. I like SuperLube or Tetra products, but there are many fine lubricants available.
Old October 24, 2008, 06:02 PM   #8
JWT

If you're concerned about the damage, give Browning a call and talk to them.

They repaired a 9 month old BT99 for me when the forearm cracked. I had to send them the entire gun and it took them almost 9 months to return it, but it was done under warranty.

The only 'word' I could get on them on their warranty was that they needed to see the gun and would then determine if warranty covered it. (Apparently they want to see if the gun was 'abused'.)
Old October 24, 2008, 09:40 PM   #9
Leif

My apologies, work has kept me busy and I forget to get the photos posted. Here they are:

Not the best pictures, but the rough area should be visible. It was lubricated. I've only had the chance to put about 700-800 shells through this since I bought it in May (busy summer).

Thanks for all the help so far.
Old October 24, 2008, 11:34 PM   #10
PDXGS

Scorch is correct.
It's galling....likely due to poor tolerance matching or damage to the faces from impact or debris.
If your going to do the work yourself then remember these words-WORK SLOWLY! Otherwise take it to a smithy.
Here's what I'd do:
Get some superfine wet dry sandpaper (get a variety pack of mixed grit), some jewelers rouge of varying grits a Dremel tool with felt polishing pads and some polishing compound.
I'd first clean the area and mask it off. You can smoke-coat both surfaces and look for the interference marks when you close the action (or use sight black)
Sand down the interference zones for a few seconds then check it again. Move from coarse to fine. Then continue with the rouge on the Dremel and then the polishing compound all ar modersate to low Dremel speed. Clean all of the polishing debris and funk you've created and lube the joint with a graphite or moly grease and wipe the excess off.
Good luck!
Old October 25, 2008, 07:28 AM   #11
auto45

If it was lubricated and clean, and it did that, then it's certainly galling.

Note "clean", no "debris", brass filing, etc. Sometimes hard to see if it's not wiped clean.

I'd go to a gunsmith on that one since the problem on a "tight fit" may be the forearm latch on the barrel lug fit. He can dress up the metal also so it doesn't cause further galling.

That's a gunsmith that's familiar with O/U shotguns, and Brownings would be a plus.

You can still put 300,000 rounds through it by the way, so "no worries".
Old March 4, 2009, 01:06 PM   #12
Leif

Wound up sending this back to Browning, we'll see what happens.
Old March 4, 2009, 01:42 PM   #13
1911 Shooter

stos is good stuff. if it still does it you have a fitting problem. browning service sucks, I would let a good gunsmith look at it, most major trapshoots have gunsmith vendors.
Old March 4, 2009, 03:36 PM   #14
Leif

No gunsmiths in the area that the local stores could refer me to (even the major local shotgun seller said their person was unreliable), and it's already with Browning, so we'll see what happens now.