The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old February 14, 2008, 01:19 PM   #1
Super-Dave

Hunting wild hog with an AR-15

I am planning on Hog hunting this November here in Florida.

I am thinking about using an ar15 with a 5 round magazine.

Will the 5.56 be sufficient for hog hunting?

Will it penetrate the skull if I go for head shots?

Would I be better off going for vitals instead of head shots?
Old February 14, 2008, 01:29 PM   #2
Scorch

There are a couple of folks here on TFL that have used AR15s successfully on pigs. Unless you are using 60 gr Nosler ammo, I would limit my shots to head shots or broadside chest shots since most 223 bullets are lightly built.
Old February 14, 2008, 01:32 PM   #3
Super-Dave

Suppose I met up with Hogzillas bigger brother.

Could I still whack him good with a head shot with a 5.56?

Old February 14, 2008, 01:44 PM   #4
Scorch

Right bullet, right spot on the head, when they come together it's magic.
Old February 14, 2008, 02:06 PM   #5
Buzzcook

Super Dave that is one big piggie. I'd heard about hogzilla but this is the first pic I've seen.
Old February 14, 2008, 02:16 PM   #6
Lawyer Daggit

over the last thirty years I have taken a considerable number of pig, mainly with the .222 or .223. despite the fact that I own guns more suitable for the task.

The reason for this is that they are targets of convenience in the country I hunt and the property owner would be very upset with me if I did not shoot one when I had the opportunity.

Hogs have poor eye sight- use this to get close. Avoid shots on running game. Place the little bullet where it will do most harm- on big pigs this may mean going for the brain near his ear.

Remember muddy hoggs may have a lot of mud to protect them.

Remember the heart on feral pigs is situated a bit lower than on most animals.

Be aware of the rounds limitations and focus on smaller hogs- don't try taking a trophy- you may wind up being the hunted!

I recently read about 'big game' bullets now made for .22 centrefires- I have yet to see them down under, but I would try them.
Old February 14, 2008, 05:27 PM   #7
banditt007

if you want to talk hog hunting check out www.texasboars.com i think their general concensous would be .223 would work but it limits you in a variety of ways. plus you owe it to the animal to make a humane kill. a bit off with a .308 is a lot different than a bit off w/ a .223.
Old February 14, 2008, 07:47 PM   #8
bswiv

In the right situation it's OK but a bigger bullet that will punch through is better....................Not necessary to have some sort of magnum, a .35 Rem or 45-70 works good, but more than a 60 grain .22 would be more ethical unless you plan on doing as was suggested. No running shots, VERY careful placement, and stick with the moderate sized hogs.

Remember it's not just about killing them, it's about doing it humainly and ending up with a great meal when it's all over.......
Old February 14, 2008, 08:28 PM   #9
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Lemme say it this way... I got a buddy that is a hunting MO-FO but paralyzed from above waist down... we are friends i honor Brian and his shooting skills! HE IS A SHOOTER! If he said i wanna try this little bitty ammo on a hog i would be pretty quick to say "From the jeep or the chair?" if he said chair... I would say "I WILL WATCH YOU FROM THE JEEP BIG BOY! Now if he steps out (steps is not a cut down, Brian is more mobile than alot of obese americans... With the .308 and luepold scope with 50 mm objective... I am ready to kneel and spot with him on a pissed off rutting moose with 2 elk on the moose does... and son he will pile up a ton of meat faster than we can slash and tote!
he takes hunerts of RUNNING shots on hogs in moonlight in florida and when he tells #1 or #2 savage helper "the sow is OVER THERE shot in the ass" he will be right within a couple yards of laying dead and inches from POI and I mean 1/2 moon in the middle of the night with NO additional light!
Brent
Old February 15, 2008, 12:43 AM   #10
Yithian

I'm surprised ATTT hasn't posted here yet.

He uses his AR-15 regularly on hogs here in TX.
He uses hand-loads topped with Hornady 55gr V-Max.

He has hit a sow in the lower jaw.
Those MACH3-grenades left her with two teeth in her head and shattered her skull.
Anything other than head and spine shots will leave large holes, and knock them over. They will get back up tho.
"KISS"... hit them in the head.
Old February 15, 2008, 10:37 PM   #11
stinger

Is ATTT from around Lubbock? Does he shoot CAS?
Old February 17, 2008, 02:49 AM   #12
chow chow

62 gr Winchester Power Point to the head will put them down .
Old February 18, 2008, 12:06 AM   #13
Yithian

ArmedToTheTeeth and I are in Central Texas. We hunt on his family's place, near Coleman.
Old February 21, 2008, 06:09 PM   #14
millercreek

If you had an AR-15 that was chambered in .308, that would be a sweet hog gun.
Old February 22, 2008, 12:49 AM   #15
Yithian

LOL
I just bought a Saiga in 308.
Old February 22, 2008, 01:19 AM   #16
stephen426

Where do you plan on going? I've been wanting to get into hunting and I figured wild hogs would be a good start... especially since they are supposed to be plentiful in Florida. I have an AR-15 but I also bought a Sako 70 in .30-06 for the purpose of hunting. I also have a Ruger GP-100 for hunting back up. I was told that most hog hunts are basically finishing off a hog that has been chased down and mauled by dogs. Please let me know where you go and how your experience was. Thanks!
Old February 22, 2008, 05:41 PM   #17
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Stephen426, Don't take this wrong... But dogs do not "maul" a hog. If there will be a gunshot the hog will be "bayed" by dogs. They only bite to stop a hog... butt, nuts or other private part. this is to "set down" the hog. It is to stop them from running. Once bayed the "shooter" gets close enough to kill the bayed hog.
The way i use dogs is to use the same "bay dogs" to find and stop the hog and than I turn loose ONE bulldog (2 if it is a sure nuff dog wrecker and we planned in a second) the bull dog does not maul the pig, this is a peta lie, my bulldog would be dead if it trys to fight the pig. They simply run in bite down on ear or jowl (depends on the dog and/or the situation) and hunkers down "caught" until we get it tipped over at which time the dogs are tethered and tied to a tree,....
A pig will get overly "caught" if it is too small... You get to know what a baydog will catch on it's own or by the barking if a catch dog is needed.
Brent
Old February 22, 2008, 05:44 PM   #18
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

It is not real common to find a hog dogger willing to let a "client" shoot a gun around his dogs... I know I will not allow it... I got enuff grey hairs already than to worry about a dog jumping in front of a bullet...
Brent
Old February 24, 2008, 09:47 PM   #19
stephen426

hogdogs,

Thanks for the information. I've heard that wild boar are viscious and can tear up a dog pretty good. I sure as heck would not risk my dog even though she is pretty tough. I can understand your not wanting to risk someone shooting your dog by accident. Thanks again for clearing up some misconceptions.
Old February 24, 2008, 10:42 PM   #20
rickomatic

Quote:
If you had an AR-15 that was chambered in .308, that would be a sweet hog gun
And you could name it AR10!
Old February 25, 2008, 03:46 AM   #21
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I am ever willing to share in the fun... I decided to take off a year or so to get issues in order but this time next year will hopefully find me hammerin' the hogs again...
Brent