The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 20, 2004, 12:36 PM   #1
Devildog_1911

Should have posted this here first.

Installed a new Wolff 18.5# recoil spring and a recoil buffer in my SA custom loaded 1911. Let me preface by saying, she shot beautifully right out of the box. The recoil spring just seemed a little "wimpy" so I installed the two above items. She now has a crisp, solid feeling/sounding recoil action and she still shoots POA. My question is this, have I done anything that is going to alter the wear of my 1911's slide or frame? I ask because I recently read NOT to use recoil buffers for two reasons: 1) because they can break down, come apart and actually jam the gun and make it inoperable during shooting and 2) the buffer will slow down the slide's action during shooting, possibly enough to start causing stove pipes, etc...hence my logic behind buying a heavier pound recoil spring. I think SA puts in a 16#. Will the tougher recoil spring in conjunction with the recoil buffer do anything to my gun's durability? Thanks in advance....it still is "the bee's knees" shooting, and it just has a definite solid feel to it now during the recoil action...it's audibly different too. If I'm not harming anything, I'd be curious for everyone to give it a try to see if it helps or hinders...sorry for my rambling on...but the gun seemed to benefit a lot from the swap.

Last edited by Devildog_1911; May 20, 2004 at 12:40 PM.
Old May 20, 2004, 03:21 PM   #2
DAVID NANCARROW

Devildog,
From my own experience, I have never had a problem with a recoil buffer, but I changed them out every 1K or so. I stopped using buffers because I didn't see where they were helping function at all. I also run 18.5 pound springs-the Wolf variable type, and it seems to give me good function with a wide variety of loads, soft to heavy.

From what I have heard, if the buffer starts falling apart, it can tie your pistol up.
Other folks have reported that after they installed a buffer, the slide did not travel its full length anymore and they had issues with ejecting loaded rounds from the chamber.
I have not experienced this myself, but I suppose it could happen depending on the thickness of the spring guide flange.
Hey-if it works for you and shows improvement, run it!
Old May 22, 2004, 05:49 PM   #3
Joe Gulish

You can be hurting the gun with both the shok buffer and the 18 lb spring.
You could have caused what is called spring bind. The gun is bottoming out
on the spring in stead of the slide where it should. JMB designed the gun to
work with a 16 lb spring. Granted the new guns might come with a "wimpy"
spring. But it is more likley a 14lb spring then a 16lb. Get a new 16 and put
that in and try.

And ditch the shock buff. A cure looking for a problem. :barf:

There is a member- 1911TUNER that can explain this better then i can. A
member at THR just had a DW commander come back from the factory with
the wrong barrel, barrel bushing and mabye the spring. It is now junk from
the slide hitting in the wrong place.
Old May 31, 2004, 07:29 PM   #4
Handy

Springs and buffers aren't going to make your gun work differently, but the spring may change the slide speed and travel a bit.

There's nothing wrong with a shock buff. The 1911 slide is designed to rebound off the spring guide, which is a metal on metal strike. A shock buff just dampens that impact. By all means, remove it for carry purposes, but using it at the range absolutely cannot hurt your gun and may extend the life greatly.

The spring thing is often debated. Higher weight recoil springs do increase the force on the slide going into battery, but the rounds going up the feed ramp buffer that. The main effect is going to be possible short stroking - but if the gun still feeds well, it probably is not an issue.