The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 8, 2012, 02:38 PM   #1
Dingo Steelwell

Polishing LC9 barrel

I saw a video that claimed to be step by step instructions on how to polish the barrel of a ruger LC9, it said to soak the barrel in vinegar for a few hours, then take off the dark coat with polish (they used "Mother's") and a green scrub pad, then to polish with the same polish and microfiber detail cloths...
it there any way that this might hurt the barrel, or is it outright untrue, I would like to do this, but I certainly dont want to hurt my LC9...
Old December 8, 2012, 02:49 PM   #2
Bill DeShivs

Is the barrel blued?
Removing bluing leaves the barrel susceptible to rust.
There is no need to use vinegar-just use wet/dry 600 grit sandpaper on the breech area. Then, 1000 grit, then higher grits. You can finish it with metal polish.
Old December 9, 2012, 12:59 AM   #3
cheezhed

Why would you want to polish the barrel of the pistol? It is blued to help keep it from rusting. I carry a lc9 and I would want to protect the function of the pistol and as I carry concealed no one would see the shiny barrel anyway. It is your gun and do with it as you will but be aware of possible problems.
Old December 9, 2012, 01:11 AM   #4
JohnKSa
Staff

It won't exactly damage the barrel itself, but it will remove the finish and that will, as pointed out, make it more likely to rust.

You could always get it refinished later if you didn't like the effect and you'd be back to square one but out the time it took to polish the finish off and the money it cost to refinish it.

If you like the metallic look, you could send the barrel off to be plated with either chrome, electroless nickel, NP3, or something similar. That would give your barrel a stainless/bare steel look without sacrificing corrosion resistance.
Old December 9, 2012, 10:04 AM   #5
Grant D

You mean like this? I did it to my LCP and LC9.
A little 400 wet sand paper and then polish.I think they look much better.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LCP AND LC9 BARRELS.JPG (156.8 KB, 159 views)
File Type: jpg LCP AND LC9.JPG (216.4 KB, 141 views)
Old December 9, 2012, 01:06 PM   #6
Dingo Steelwell

Just like that Grant, except in the video I saw, it was the entire barrel not just the chamber area...
I was also looking into a SS guide rod to replace the plastic one, I think the polished barrel and SS guide rod will look good together...
While it is true that this is my carry gun and nobody will ever really see it, I will see it all the time...
Old December 9, 2012, 10:19 PM   #7
Yung.gunr

If it's your carry gun, I wouldn't think you would see it much. Wouldn't it be in your holster almost all the time?

If it functions good don't mess with it. If you are looking to spend some time and a little $$ on it go buy a box and visit the range.

The only mods I make are for functionality. I.E. Stippling grips, polishing feed ramps, polishing bolts on bolt rifles to make them function smoother.

Just me......

If you do decide to take the bluing off, a 50/50 mixture of vinegar and hydrogen peroxide took the finish off a rifle barrel of mine like nobody's business (long story).
Old December 10, 2012, 08:29 AM   #8
Skans

If the LC9 stays in production a few more years, someone would probably make an aftermarket stainless barrel for it.
Old December 10, 2012, 09:30 AM   #9
Fishbed77

This just sounds like a bad idea all-around to me. If this is a carry gun that is functioning reliably, I can think of no rational reason to strip the barrel of its protection against corrosion (which can happen very quickly on a carry gun due to sweat and temperature changes). You are just asking for trouble down the road.
Old December 10, 2012, 10:16 AM   #10
Uncle Billy

I CC an LC9, just as it came when I bought it. Making it more visible by shining up the barrel seems to me to be at cross purposes with my intent to have it go unnoticed as much as possible by remaining dark and dull. It's a tool after all, not jewellery, and making it more visible seems to me to diminish its efficacy as a stealthy tool.

Also, since it's going to be out and about and handled frequently and not left in my gun safe for most of its tenure with me, taking off its rust protection makes for more maintenance, to no benefit, as I see it. YMMV of course.
Old December 10, 2012, 10:42 AM   #11
Skans

Folks have been decorating their guns as long as there have been guns. They can be as much "jewelry" as a watch or luxury car. Lots of barrels have been polished and even engine turned - this isn't anything new. Heck, weren't some of the Kimber pistols made with regular carbon-steel untreated barrels at one time (which rusted)?
Old December 10, 2012, 11:59 AM   #12
Fishbed77

Quote:
Heck, weren't some of the Kimber pistols made with regular carbon-steel untreated barrels at one time (which rusted)?
I'm pretty sure than many of them still are made that way. And they have a reputation for rusting quickly (have read posts of folks noting that they were already showing rust while new in the gun store).
Old December 10, 2012, 01:39 PM   #13
Grant D

I dont have a problem with rust.I keep ALL my weapons cleaned and oiled,especialy my carry weapons.

I guess every blued pistol with holster wear on barrels and cylinders should be reblued so they wont rust?

As far as stealthy...I carry nickel plated snubbies,and highly polished stainless steel snubbies,and 1911's also, that are a lot shinyer than the chambers on my Rugers.

But to each his own I guess.
I for one, like the look of the polished chambers.
Old December 10, 2012, 04:13 PM   #14
Coltman 77

Fishbed77 nailed it IMO.

Quote:
This just sounds like a bad idea all-around to me. If this is a carry gun that is functioning reliably, I can think of no rational reason to strip the barrel of its protection against corrosion (which can happen very quickly on a carry gun due to sweat and temperature changes). You are just asking for trouble down the road.
Bad idea.

Protect our 2nd Amendment Rights -- Join the NRA
Old December 10, 2012, 04:27 PM   #15
Bill DeShivs

It's not necessarily a "bad" idea. It just comes with caveats. Most automatics that were made without stainless barrels had steel exposed.
Using vinegar is a bad idea because, while it removes bluing, it does nothing to polish the steel. Polishing in itself will remove the bluing anyway- and the OP wants his bbl shiny. There is a right way to do things and far too many people spout out WRONG ways on the Internet.
Old December 10, 2012, 05:04 PM   #16
Skans

The biggest problem with polishing an LC9 barrel is that there isn't an easy source to get a replacement - Ruger factory part. That's also my biggest beef with anything Ruger - lack of aftermarket parts, and they eventually stop supporting their older guns. That said, I own an LC9 anyway because it's a great little carry gun.

Although Ruger makes good products, I'm not a big fan of not being able to get parts.
Old December 10, 2012, 05:08 PM   #17
Yung.gunr

Agreed that the vinegar by itself would not polish the barrel. He would need to polish after removing the bluing. The whole idea of the vinegar is to get it down to the bare metal will very little effort.
Old December 10, 2012, 06:31 PM   #18
Bill DeShivs

The first time the barrel is touched with sandpaper the bluing will be removed. There is no need for vinegar. Vinegar in the bore will actually promote rusting, and can actually etch the bore.
Old December 13, 2012, 07:19 AM   #19
Uncle Billy

Polishing chambers leads me to a question: Isn't some of the recoil transferred to the chamber walls by the cartridge case expanding against them, and so if the walls provide less friction more recoil is transferred to the bolt face, or the frame in the case of revolvers? Or is this an unimportant consideration?
Old December 13, 2012, 11:52 AM   #20
Samuel2011

Horrible idea! You would loose your tactical advantage by polishing your barrel!
Why would you want any reflective surfaces on your carry gun?
The moment you go to draw your weapon the light would glint off of it and you'd be giving the aggressor the advantage!
Just a bad idea all the way around.
Old December 13, 2012, 01:20 PM   #21
Skans

Quote:
The moment you go to draw your weapon the light would glint off of it and you'd be giving the aggressor the advantage!
How is light "glinting" off of my little LC9 going to give an aggressor any advantage? If I'm pulling out my little LC9, the guy is probably within 7 feet of me and can see the black gun (without glint), unless he's blind. Remember, the LC9 is strictly for self-defense, not covert assassinations.
Old December 13, 2012, 01:35 PM   #22
Downeast

Count me in the camp with those that think it's a bad idea. Having said that, if I was going to do it, I would not use the vinegar, I would just polish it. Blueing has little to no abrasion resistance and is easily removed mechanically with even mild abrasives. The problem with using vinegar is essentially it is acetic acid, this will make the steel surface more active and prone to rusting even quicker than bare steel might otherwise (which is already pretty quick to begin with). If I wanted a shiny surface, I would polish and then plate with electroless nickel or similar.
Old December 14, 2012, 10:44 PM   #23
claydoctor

Vinegar? If you want to see the bluing disappear instantly, rub Naval Jelly on it. After that, I would polish with Flitz. In the old days, we would use Naval Jelly just on the muzzle of the barrel of a. 32 or. 380 to make it look more menacing.
Old December 15, 2012, 09:10 AM   #24
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
I agree. If you to pretty up a BBQ gun, by all means go for it. I would not do it with a gun that I carry daily however. I think rust will really be a problem if you do so. I would guess being in Florida might even compound the problem for you.