The Firing Line Forums
Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > S.W.A.T. Magazine

Old July 15, 2002, 05:58 PM   #1
Bartholomew Roberts

Leupold CQT

I noticed this article by Steve Malloy in your magazine and was anxious to read it as I had a chance to evaluate the CQT myself and found it not to my tastes.

I was somewhat surprised to see almost no negatives at all mentioned in the article though. I think a desire for non-battery illumination was all the author found troubling with it.

I can certainly understand that people with more experience than me might have a vastly different opinion on any particular piece of gear; but I was curious that none of the complaints I had read about or experienced first hand turned up in this article.

A few things that bothered me about the CQT were:

1) Small objective is like looking through a straw
2) Eye relief rather short to use as an Aimpoint style unmagnified sight. its possible; but not as easy.
3) Illuminated reticle difficult to acquire against a brightly lit tan/brown background (which is basically anywhere outdoors in parts of Texas)
5) Weight compared to other options in the same niche
6) Price relative to other options in the same niche
7) Limited battery life

Obviously, I don't expect reviewers to mirror my likes and dislikes 100% but I had come to expect a tough but fair review of products from SWAT and it surprises me that with such a laundry list of things I personally found unsatisfactory with the CQT that the SWAT review was such a contrast with my own experience. It was even more surprising given lukewarm comments on the CQT made by several other SWAT authors in forums in the past.

On the other hand, great article by Jeff Gonzales. I enjoyed his last one as well and while I haven't made it past the Leupold in the magazine yet, I look forward to the other articles with my usual anticipation of SWATs excellent coverage.
Bartholomew Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2002, 10:33 AM   #2
Denny Hansen
Staff Emeritus

Pat Rogers communicated to me that he was not overly impressed with the CQ/T either. The differing opinions may be a matter of personal taste.

S.W.A.T. has a long-standing policy that our writers either buy a product or return it after testing. This is to decrease the possiibility of a writer feeling he "owes" a manufacturer a good review. Therefore, it's also possible that working with a product on a short term basis may not reflect all of its deficiencies.

Thanks for the feedback.

Denny
Denny Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2002, 09:28 PM   #3
rkc

mr roberts--
send me a private e mail or
mail
po 698
Una SC 29378

Your thoughts on a surperior system for personal AR 15

R K Campbell
Old July 16, 2002, 11:36 PM   #4
Jamie Young

Whomever did the marketing for this scope sure did a good job. I know a heck of a lot of people that have run out to gun shows, and gun shops, anxiously awaiting a chance to see what it was all about. People looked at the price and said
Jamie Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2002, 10:02 AM   #5
Correia

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...&highlight=cqt

We had some discussion about this sight earlier.
Correia is offline   Reply With Quote