The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old November 21, 2013, 08:05 AM   #1
wllfthn

Trade Opinions

Hey guys -- I haven't been here in awhile. Wasn't sure where to post this thread, so if this is the wrong spot, my apologies..

Anyways, I have the chance to make a trade that I wanted some thoughts on.

I would be trading:
-Springfield XDs .45 3.3" and all XDGear
-400 rounds of range ammo, 25 self defense rounds
-$300.00 Cash

I would be getting
-Ruger Mini 14 Tactical which includes
Factory ATI furniture, sling, Socom barrel support, flash suppressor,
bi-pod, NcStar 4X30 scope with low light covers, Ruger scope mounts,
2-10 round mags, 20 round mag and a 30 round mag.

Here is a link to a picture of it..

https://scontent-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/...71532816_n.jpg

Let me know what you think..
Old November 21, 2013, 08:43 AM   #2
salvadore

I have owned two mini 14s, the 200th year anniversary model, 1976, and a recent tactical model with the flash suppressor and supposedly more accurate redesigned barrel. I sold both because the accuracy sucked.
Old November 21, 2013, 03:48 PM   #3
Tactical Jackalope

Don't do that.
Old November 21, 2013, 03:56 PM   #4
SteelChickenShooter

I would not trade an XD with gear for a mini-14.
Old November 21, 2013, 04:11 PM   #5
Joe_Pike

I would rather have an AR if I wanted something 'tactical'.
Old November 21, 2013, 04:45 PM   #6
kilimanjaro

That Mini-14 setup would go for about $800 here.

I would not make the trade, myself, and certainly not with $300 in cash added to it.

Your cash sweetener is about half the price of a used Mini-14. You can add $400 in accessories to a $650 rifle and it won't be worth $1000.
Old November 21, 2013, 09:58 PM   #7
lee n. field

Quote:
Anyways, I have the chance to make a trade that I wanted some thoughts on.

I would be trading:
-Springfield XDs .45 3.3" and all XDGear
-400 rounds of range ammo, 25 self defense rounds
-$300.00 Cash

I would be getting
-Ruger Mini 14 Tactical which includes
Factory ATI furniture, sling, Socom barrel support, flash suppressor,
bi-pod, NcStar 4X30 scope with low light covers, Ruger scope mounts,
2-10 round mags, 20 round mag and a 30 round mag.

Here is a link to a picture of it..

https://scontent-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/...71532816_n.jpg

No. In fact, no with a bunch of extra adjectives and explitaves that would get filtered out.

An XD45, plus cash, plus ammo worth (guessing) a couple hundred, for a tarted up Mini-14?

if you're wanting a tacticool rifle, try and find someone with a low end AR or not quite so low end AK.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old November 21, 2013, 11:28 PM   #8
Damon555

Keep your Springfield....That Mini 14 is a gussied up dog. That scope isn't worth anything either.
Old November 21, 2013, 11:36 PM   #9
Cheapshooter

NO! Not even if you keep the ammo and three hundred bucks.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old November 22, 2013, 02:40 AM   #10
Ryu825

Keep that 300, save a bit more and buy a used mini14. IMO the XD 45 (at least the compact one I shot once) is a great gun. I shot it next to 2 gov sized 1911s and while the 1911's trigger is obviously better, the little xd's felt recoil wasn't far off from the full sized all steel guns. I can only imagine how soft it is on a full size model. Not the prettiest gun ever but I'll probably be getting one for a ccw once I'm licensed. The mini14 otoh is, well, just a rifle that shoots ar ammo and not as accurately at that, unlike how an sks is usually more accurate than an ak. My .02
Old November 22, 2013, 09:28 AM   #11
BigD_in_FL

I'm seeing a consensus here....................
Old November 22, 2013, 11:09 AM   #12
Tactical Jackalope

Cheapshooter already scares me, when he starts yelling it makes me nervous.

Again OP, just don't do it.
Old November 22, 2013, 03:31 PM   #13
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Cheapshooter already scares me, when he starts yelling it makes me nervous.
LOL

Sorry, just when I see somebody about to do something they are apt to sorely regret I can't help but scream!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old November 22, 2013, 03:34 PM   #14
stormyone

I would not make that trade.

If you really don't feel like you want to keep the XDs .45, sell it privately, and save up for a nice AR15. Prices on AR15's have really come back down to normal here lately.
Old November 22, 2013, 04:16 PM   #15
mk70ss

My Mini 14 had fairly poor accuracy with all ammo types. I would not make that trade either. AR-15 is a better rifle in my opinion if you want a "tactical .223"

Plus I love my XDs. Great little pistols.
Old November 22, 2013, 07:14 PM   #16
Andrewh

right now with some of the sales going on you can build an ar15 for under 600 bucks.

if you are really picky about the barrel and stuff, you can go up to 1400, but that would be some match grade 2 stage trigger stuff.

palmetto state armory for some lower and upper sales.
Old November 22, 2013, 07:21 PM   #17
Colt46

Did they ever solve the mini-14 accuracy issues?

Don't think I've ever seen or heard of one that was any kind of accurate.
Old November 22, 2013, 07:38 PM   #18
Pahoo

Don't like stepping on toes but ......

Quote:
I'm seeing a consensus here....................
Rather surprised but have to agree. Hard to believe but Ruger has made some mistakes and the Mini-14 is at the top of the list. JMHO. .....

Be Safe !!!
Old November 23, 2013, 07:26 AM   #19
skoro

Quote:
I won both an XDs 45 and a Mini-14 Ranch Rifle. And I like both quite a bit.

As for the trade, don't do it. Hang on to that XDs and save your pennies for a Min-14 if it's what you want. The newer series (mine's a 580) have pretty much taken care of the accuracy issues the earlier models suffered from.
Old November 23, 2013, 08:04 AM   #20
leadcounsel

Do not trade.

The mini14 has a poor reputation as far as I'm concerned, and it's not that valuable as far as a personal defense rifle goes. Probably around $600, and I wouldn't even pay that. Among the issues are 1) Accuracy and 2) non-compatible mags. It really urks me that the Mini14 doesn't use AR mags. Two big reasons I have no interest in the Mini14.

The XDs has had a recent recall. Make sure you fix yours.
The pistol and ammo are valued around $700 alone, and adding $300 makes yours worth way more than the Mini14.

For that you could buy an AR15 for around $800 or an AK47 for around $600. Both are worlds better than the Mini14.
Old November 23, 2013, 08:16 AM   #21
Ozzieman

I think you guys are being a little hard on the mini 14, granted it’s not the most accurate semi 223 but it is a good gun out side of that and of the two I have owned were very reliable.
But after saying that,,.,
DON’T step over to the dark side, get a cheap AR and keep the XD

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old November 24, 2013, 11:49 AM   #22
Sevens

Obviously, it's not a decent trade, it's simply not fair.

The Mini-14 is definitely a good rifle, it just simply isn't as accurate as a rifle can or should be. The real problem with the Mini-14 is that it finds itself in a modern world but wasn't developed when self-loading short, handy rifles were all the rage. It was a fine tool in it's day but (even despite it's supposed recent re-work), it can't come close to the accuracy or adaptability of today's AR platform rifles.

Back in the late 70s or early 1980s, it was a handy, available, durable and enjoyable rifle when almost nobody was buying a Colt AR-15 and nobody else made AR rifles.
Old November 24, 2013, 05:33 PM   #23
stu925

I love my Mini-14 but that trade is not even, you'll lose on that one. Newer Mini-14 rifles do not suffer from the accuracy issues of the older rifles. These rifles are easily identified by serial number. That said, you can buy a brand new Mini-14 Tactical for around $850 street price so a roughly $500 handgun + $300 + $200 (roughly) in ammo is no deal on a used rifle. The rifle comes from the factory with the flash suppressor and ATI stock. The "Socom barrel support" is probably actually a barrel strut which helps dissipate heat and control barrel whip and really isn't necessary on a newer Mini-14 due to the heavier barrel profile The NCstar scope is worth nothing in the deal and if it were me it would actually decrease the value of the rifle because I would need to re-scope the rifle.

Stu
Old November 25, 2013, 10:36 AM   #24
wllfthn

Thanks!

I sincerely appreciate all the feedback! I usually come to this forum before making any trade because 1) I'm not a firearms expert. and 2) I value the opinion of seasoned shooters like you all.

Before I even had a chance to check back here to see what replies my question got, I turned down the offer. And boy, am I glad I did.

My XDs does fall into the recall. I need to send it out to get fixed up. I actually printed my shipping label yesterday and plan to send it out this week sometime. Upon return from Springfield, I'm not sure what I want to do with it.. I bought this with all intentions of using it as a primary carry weapon. I loved the size and ease of concealment. When I bought it, the 9mm version was not available. I wish I had waited, I prefer carrying 9mm for many different reasons. I shot about 600 rounds through my XDs without issue and trusted my life with for about 6 months until I received notice about the recall. Had the recall been a small upgrade to the weapon, I wouldn't be so concerned. However, the message "IMMEDIATELY UNLOAD YOUR WEAPON AND DO NOT LOAD AGAIN" kind of turned me off. Not sure I could ever fully trust this weapon again (even having never had a real issue with it myself).

That being said, I will be sending it out to Springfield and hanging on to it for the time being. Currently carrying my Kahr T9, my most trusted pistol, but not my most concealable. Thoughts on the XDs situation? (I'm sure there are threads all throughout here covering this topic, just wondering what you all think here)
Old November 25, 2013, 11:57 AM   #25
Tactical Jackalope

Here's a sticky on it OP.