The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old September 27, 2013, 12:06 PM   #1
Ozzieman

Do you have a VISA card? You might want to get rid of it.

This is strange since I have purchased more than 25 guns over the past 20 years with a Visa card.

Credit card firm cuts off nation's No. 1 gun store --- for selling guns

By PAUL BEDARD | SEPTEMBER 26, 2013 AT 5:38 PM

Quote:
A subsidiary of Visa, a key Obama campaign donor, that specializes in credit card transactions has abruptly stopped servicing the nation’s largest gun store after four years because the store sells guns, a fact the owners never hid.
Hyatt Gun Shop of Charlotte, N.C., told Secrets that the subsidiary, Authorize.net/CyberSource, simply sent an email to owner Larry Hyatt to announce that it was suddenly breaking off the business relationship. The reason: “The sale of firearms or any similar product.”
Source: http://washingtonexaminer.com/article/2536417

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.

Last edited by Spats McGee; September 27, 2013 at 01:24 PM.
Old September 27, 2013, 12:23 PM   #2
Tinner666

Mine worked at Green Top this week. Interesting.
Old September 27, 2013, 12:33 PM   #3
motorhead0922

Quote:
Mine worked at Green Top this week. Interesting.
Your Visa will continue to work as before. It is the Merchant's credit card payment processor that has the issue. Hyatt will have to choose another of the thousands of CC processors.

That said, I'm confused about the relationship between Visa and authorize.net.
2020: It's pronounced twenty twenty.
Old September 27, 2013, 12:43 PM   #4
BarryLee

While it does sound like this is limited to a specific payment processing company it does concern me a little that it’s a sort of covert gun control. As the relationship between big business and big government becomes more and more intertwined we may see more of this. Oh dang I sound like some kind of conspiracy nut.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman

Last edited by BarryLee; September 27, 2013 at 01:26 PM.
Old September 27, 2013, 12:43 PM   #5
NoSecondBest

I have a Cabela's Visa card and it works fine. It's not Visa that's a problem, it's the bank that processes the transactions.
Old September 27, 2013, 03:39 PM   #6
Double Naught Spy

Right, Ozzieman didn't read his own quote. The culprit isn't Visa...

Quote:
Hyatt Gun Shop of Charlotte, N.C., told Secrets that the subsidiary, Authorize.net/CyberSource, simply sent an email to owner Larry Hyatt to announce that it was suddenly breaking off the business relationship. The reason: “The sale of firearms or any similar product.”
If Hyatt goes back and rereads their contract with the company, I believe they will find that they have completely agreed to said conditions. So if they decided to complain about being cutoff, they also need to complain about the fact that they agreed to such terms and chances are, they did so for $$ reasons. So they likely with with both less cost and more risk and the risk caught up with them.
Old September 27, 2013, 06:52 PM   #7
BigD_in_FL

I'll keep my Cabela's Visa, thank you very much
Old September 27, 2013, 07:02 PM   #8
Ozzieman

What I was trying to get across was the it was subsidiary of Visa which is a large Obama campaign donor.

Keep your card just think about where some % of what you pay VISA goes to. If you want to support Obamma

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old September 27, 2013, 07:39 PM   #9
BigD_in_FL

And if you buy from half the companies in this company, you are doing the same..........you cannot escape that fact but you can fight it by voting and not thinking someone else's vote will do the job
Old September 27, 2013, 08:09 PM   #10
Grizz12

cash is king
Old September 27, 2013, 09:10 PM   #11
Tom Servo
Staff

This isn't the first time a payment-processing company has dumped gun comanies, and it won't be the last.

A shop I know got denied on renewal a few months back. The owner got pretty far up the chain when investigating. In that case, it turns out that guns weren't so much the problem as gun retailers were.

Remember that big panic we had earlier this year? Prices skyrocketed in some quarters, and more than a few folks borrowed more than they should have to get that rifle before it get banned. Buyer's remorse set in, and the result was a huge jump in very expensive chargebacks.

This makes more work for the processing company, and if it's coming from one category of business, they may choose to cut it off.
Old September 28, 2013, 02:14 AM   #12
DaleA

Tom Servo - your explanation makes some sense. These companies are set up to make money and refusing to do business with a particular industry doesn't make much sense.

Still, it's a lot more fun to envision the board meeting where the Visa head shouts "I was shocked, SHOCKED to find out the Hyatt Gun Shop was selling GUNS!"
Old September 28, 2013, 10:38 AM   #13
rdmallory

Swith to Shift 4

They have no issues processing firearm sales.

Doug
Old September 28, 2013, 12:07 PM   #14
ronz

Quote:
A shop I know got denied on renewal a few months back. The owner got pretty far up the chain when investigating. In that case, it turns out that guns weren't so much the problem as gun retailers were.

Remember that big panic we had earlier this year? Prices skyrocketed in some quarters, and more than a few folks borrowed more than they should have to get that rifle before it get banned. Buyer's remorse set in, and the result was a huge jump in very expensive chargebacks.
I think that was just an excuse to distance the company from politics
they didn't want to say the truth were pressured by the Obama administration and anti gun left
At least that's who most the processors that accept payments for business that deal with firearms blame because a lot of processors are dropping anyone that has anything to do with firearms
and as far as I know you cant just return guns or ammo
Old September 28, 2013, 12:14 PM   #15
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
as far as I know you cant just return guns or ammo
That's generally correct, hence the chargebacks.

Quote:
they didn't want to say the truth were pressured by the Obama administration and anti gun left
Can you provide some proof that the administration (or any anti gun organization) is pressuring credit card processing companies? If they were, it would be a novel approach, but I've not heard of that.
Old September 28, 2013, 05:24 PM   #16
Carne Frio

The grocery store that I use keeps trying to get me to apply
for their VISA card. I emailed them the following link today.
It talks about another area where VISA is anti gun and anti
gun business. I doubt they really care. but a local boycott
would get their panties in a bunch.
http://www.thedailysheeple.com/visa-...actions_092013
Old September 29, 2013, 02:31 AM   #17
LockedBreech

Abstaining from Visa is like trying to abstain from water. It's an omnipresent card.

I use the bonus points from mine to buy guns and gun stuff, and from what I see this wasn't Visa's deal, it was a processor's.

I also love Google and Amazon, and their heads both gave money to Obama. Some stuff makes my life enjoyable/easy enough that differing politics aren't enough to get me to boycott it.
Old September 29, 2013, 08:50 AM   #18
Revoltella

The processors are not subsideries of Visa. They are third party companies that provide a service to Visa, MasterCard et al.
Old September 29, 2013, 10:56 AM   #19
CajunBass

Quote:
Abstaining from Visa is like trying to abstain from water. It's an omnipresent card.
Ain't that the truth? If I stopped using a "visa" card, I couldn't buy a pack of gum. I almost never have as much as a dime in my pocket, and I like it that way. Swipe the card and go.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old September 29, 2013, 11:46 AM   #20
Tom Servo
Staff

As per forum rules, we don't do partisan politics here.
Closed Thread