The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 2, 2012, 09:24 AM   #1
Jimbo-Indy

Nipple size for 51 Navy repro.

I have a Traditions 1851 Navy, brass frame, 44 cal. revolver. I can't find any markings as to the true manufacturer, just the basic Italian proof marks. The date code is for 1985. Does anyone know the thread for the nipples and/or the proper nipple to buy? The gun works just fine except for crappy nipples that are a little to big for #10 and slightly loose with #11.
Old February 2, 2012, 10:15 AM   #2
timothy75

All mine are the same way, just pinch the 11's a bit with your fingers. As the gun gets dirty while firing they'll fit tighter.
Old February 2, 2012, 10:58 AM   #3
Fingers McGee

What markings are on it? FAP in a diamond is Pietta, and an intertwined ASM is Armi San Marco.

ASM - Top left corner of the frame:
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old February 2, 2012, 11:13 AM   #4
Jimbo-Indy

I didn't see any manufacturers symbols, just the proof marks and the date code. I will look again when I get home tonight and repost if I can find anything. Thanks for the help.
The problem with the nipples is that most of them are not round at the top, where the cap fits over. It's like they have a small flat ground in the side. This is not the flat next to the cylinder where the nipple wrench fits. It's almost like a piece of the nipple has chipped off.
Old February 2, 2012, 12:11 PM   #5
Doc Hoy

Just to add complexity

I had a Pietta frame which was not marked at all.
Old February 2, 2012, 07:38 PM   #6
Hellgate

A lot of my stock ASM nipples are somewhat flattened on two sides i.e. not true cone shaped. Look under the rammer for more marks and describe them to us.
The ASMs & Ubertis take the more coars threaded 12X28 nipples and Pietta takes the 6X.75mm
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old February 2, 2012, 10:05 PM   #7
Jimbo-Indy

I found it! Actually I was confusing two different guns. The Traditions '51 Navy is marked ASM. I also have a '58 Remy that is marked CVA but has no manufacturers markings. The '51 Navy is the one with the funky nipples. The Remy is just fine.
Thanks for all the help. Now I know what size nipples to order.