The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old March 13, 2010, 04:47 PM   #1
KevinCa

Benchrest shooting?

Hello everyone! I've just registered here after reading a few threads.
I've just bought a Savage 204 cal and was wanting to get into competitive shooting. Its a have gun (11 lbs) with a inch barrel (Which makes it very top heavy, and hard to stand and shoot.) The dealer kept saying this is a bench rest gun. So what kind of matches can I get in with this?

I'm very new to this, so any kind of tips or help would help a lot!
Thanks!
Old March 14, 2010, 09:23 AM   #2
4EVERM-14

Benchrest is a form of shooting dedicated to precision. Matches are fired for group size or for score. There are several categories depending on the weight of the gun. It sounds like your rifle was custom built for this. Bench guns are fired from sturdy tripods and bags. Here's a link that may help.
http://nbrsa.org/
Distinguished Rifleman #731
Presidents 100
Old March 14, 2010, 09:32 AM   #3
Vt.birdhunter

What model is it? Sounds like a model 12, a nice varmint rifle. .204 is a flat shooting, accurate round suitable for game up to coyote. Using it on deer sized game and larger is a highly debated topic.

When the dealer said its a "bench rest" gun, he meant its most comfortable and accurate when shot of a rest. A rest can be a rolled up jacket, a bipod, a table, etc; anything you can "rest" or lay the gun on while shooting.

Before entering competions, you should head to your local range (hopefully its your backyard) and practice practice practice. With the gun you have and the right ammo (guns are brand picky, find the ammo your gun shoots best) you should be putting 3-5 rounds into a 1" circle at 100 yards.

Best of luck to you.
Old March 14, 2010, 11:04 AM   #4
KevinCa

Thank you! I'm so confused when it comes to this! It's a Savage 12 cal 204 ruger. Has a 6oz trigger. I'm trying a lot of different ammo, so far I have an 1 inch group at 100 yards with a sled. I really don't want to carry a sled around with me all the time with that gun so im thinking about getting a bipod. That link helps a lot, thank you!