The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 4, 2002, 10:54 PM   #1
jYm

Need some opinions

Hey guys...this is my first post on TFL i have been lurking for like 2 months reading everything possible minding my own business

I am going to be purchasing my first shotgun very soon, a friend of mine took me shooting one weekend recently out at a range throwing some clays and i fell for it!!

My choices i have been lookin at are the Mossberg 590,the Remi 870 of course, and the Benelli Nova...

Also theres the choice of the El Cheapo Waal-mart pump guns which i dont know about but that 199.99$ price tag sure does make em look good lol...

I think i would want a 20" barrel because i would like the shotgun for Home defense also and the occasional clay... im not looking for a expert gun or anyhting because im not comitted to the sport if i was id get the proper gun...but i just want an all around gun that can ber with me for awhile and is under about 350$...

throw out your suggestions and they will be greatly appreciated!!!!

thanks
Old December 5, 2002, 12:04 AM   #2
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

Glad to have you stop in. Pull up a chair.

My all-round favorite bbl length is 21" Seems to point rather smartly & gives up nothing vewlocity-wise that matters. 20" should too.

Last I looked, Rem's 870 Express ran about $220 or so.

Could do worse. You'll get other opinions.
Old December 5, 2002, 12:34 AM   #3
Preacherman

Hi, jYm, and welcome to TFL! Nice to have you with us.

I'd strongly recommend, as a "first shotgun", either the Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 Express "combo" packages, available through Wal-Mart at a very low price (typically around $300-$325, IIRC). They include the gun itself and two barrels, one a 26" or 28" with removable chokes, the other a shorter barrel for slug or defensive use. IIRC, the Remington "second barrel" is a 21" rifle-sighted improved-cylinder smoothbore. I think Mossberg has a couple of options, one being a rifled barrel for sabot slugs and the other an 18½" smoothbore with bead sight.

Such a combo package gives you the best of all worlds: a longer, heavier barrel with variable choke choice for sport and hunting, and a shorter barrel (with rifle sights, in the Remington version) for slug hunting or defensive use.

I recommend either gun. I agree with most shooters that the Remington 870 is probably the best pump gun out there, but the "Express" line of cheaper 870's is not as good, IMHO, as the original "Wingmaster" version (which is much more finely finished, and much more expensive!). I've also found they have a greater tendency to rust. The Mossberg isn't as smooth as the Remington, but is better finished, just as reliable, and more rust-resistant in my experience. (I own examples of both, and have had ample opportunity to learn the hard way!)

Whatever you choose, enjoy it - and welcome to shotgunning!
Old December 5, 2002, 06:51 AM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Welcome aboard!

The off brand El Cheapos should be avoided. A great pumpgun is not expensive, and the better ones have some resale value.

Look for used 870s, 500s,37s and 1200/1300s on the bulletin boards at the range, check want ads, call local gun shops and ask after USED examples of the Big Four. Since it's difficult to wear any of these out, used ones offer a great bargain. Police turnin 870s are a bargain I should have kept secret, darnit.

New pumps,like our Chaplain said. The combos are great deals. Remington did offer and may still offer a Turkey Express 870 with a 21" bbl. matte finish, and synthetic stock. This approaches an optimum choice for a one gun shotgunner. Adding a rifle sighted smoothbore bbl 20" long and a few tubes gives you a universal shotgun.

HTH....