The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 8, 2009, 05:26 AM   #51
richfr

WOW glad it worked out good for you

Could you clearly see he wasn't armed before you shouted out and did he freeze on the spot? (take it he was facing away from you)
If he had tried to run for the door would you have let him?
Do you think you would have shot instantly if he had turned towards you?
Old December 8, 2009, 01:02 PM   #52
wyobohunter

Sounds like you did exactly the right thing to me. Do you live in/near Anchorage? I have one of these on my nightstand.http://www.gunvault.com/multibiometric.nxg
If I didn't have a 3 year old I'd just have the pistola lying on the nightstand.
Old December 8, 2009, 07:19 PM   #53
DanThaMan

You will recieve plenty of wisdom from the other members on here... and I don't believe I would have done it any better than you dude to lack of training and experience. However, I would just like to say don't beat yourself up over it. Don't place ANY blame on yourself. You didn't do anything wrong... you could have only done a little more right.

Glad to hear it all worked out my friend.
Old December 8, 2009, 10:36 PM   #54
pacerdude

I am very glad you and your girlfriend are safe, that is all that matters. I could only hope to do so well in a similar situation.

God Bless you, my friend!
Old January 13, 2010, 03:20 PM   #55
Balog

Couple things I'm surprised no one has mentioned.

A good bright flashlight is an excellent tool to have, aids in target ID, blinds the bad guy etc.

All cell phones, by law, will dial 911 even if not on a service plan. Old cells can generally be had for free on Craig's List or Freecycle. Plug in charger, put cell on nightstand. I'd get a couple, were it me.

I am amused by all the internet wanna-be Rambos who'll shoot the first shadowy figure they see moving in their home. Let's hope it's not your spouse coming back from a midnight snack, your kid's boyfriend/girlfriend they've snuck in, your kid sneaking in, your kid's friend they had over to hang out etc. If you really think the person in your house can index on your voice, aim and fire faster than you can pull the trigger of the gun you have at the ready well.... either your reflexes are very poor or you're getting invaded by one of the plague of ninja assassins people on gun boards always seem to be bothered by. And all that assumes the bad guy is stalking your house with gun in hand and at the ready, which is very uncommon outside of actual home invasions.

I wonder how many of the kill 'em all and let God sort 'em out types have ever actually killed someone, or seen a person die violently? I've found that tends to dull the bravado a bit.
Old January 13, 2010, 03:39 PM   #56
RPB

True about the cell phones, and if you can't afford one .... they are free anyway http://www.911cellphonebank.org/agencies.asp
Old January 13, 2010, 03:41 PM   #57
leadcounsel

You did a good job with being armed and having a gun safe attached to the floor.

I purchased small alarms that I placed on all of my windows and doors. They were $1 each at the Dollar store. They work on a magnet system - a magnet on the frame and the door/window which, when they are detached creates and alarm that is very loud. Total cost under $20 for a secure house.

I also have dogs - may not be a good solution for you but they are loud, can hear much better than me, and are scary to most people.

And you should get a mobile phone or a phone in your bedroom. You should never be separated from your phone or your gun.
Old January 13, 2010, 05:56 PM   #58
N.H. Yankee

A first big step is you survived! You can now build on your experience and hopefully will never have to put it use again. I have found at least for me, in the heat of battle I feel tense ( likely adrenaline ), focused and not shaky. Now, when its all over, that's when the enormity of it all sinks in and I can't even write or talk straight for the next 10-20 minutes minimal.

I have been in a few situations and none are the same, one has to try to learn to compensate for events as they unfold. This is not to say not to have a well designed game plan, for a home setting it may be good to have a backup plan for different scenarios. Once again, I am a firm believer in a large dog to either alert and buy time, or outright deter an intruder, granted not everyone can have a dog for various reasons.

Glad you all made it through OK and don't worry about the nerves, we are all human and we all have them. Obviously your nerves held out, as you did the right thing and that's whats important.
Old January 13, 2010, 11:57 PM   #59
semi_problomatic

Good job, you survived, which is always the main focus.

Couple things. What if there had been two? Ever thought of a shotgun as a home defense? Mossberg 500 with 00 is like shooting 9 .38 rounds at once. Less likely that shaky hands are throwing off your aim, and more stopping force if his buddy that you didn't see comes charging around the door and you got to take a hip shot. Plus its a proven fact that the racking of a round will leave a yellow puddle where that burglar was standing. Just a thought though.
If you're too cheap for an alarm, try that trick off conspiracy theory, upside down bottle on the door handle .
Chain locks suck, thats why hotels stopped using them. But the ones they have with the knob and the loop of metal look pretty sound and easy to install yourself.
A radio or tv on probably isn't the best of ideas. Would you of heard the guy if the door was closed and a radio or tv on?

And as for the Castle law argument. Easy solution, kill the guy. Then you have one story told, yours. You can say the guy attacked you, pursued you, whatever. And he can't sue you. His family maybe, but he can't. And then you move. Because his gang banger esse's are coming after you for revenge. Maybe thats just paranoia... (Not being racist to mexicans I just liked the phrase gang banger esse's).
Old January 14, 2010, 12:50 AM   #60
rburch

Quote:
I pull the pistol and announce that I am armed and suggested that he not move. The pistol has crimson grips and an under the barrel tac light.
For those that are worried about verbal warning giving away your position and letting him shoot you...

How slow are you at pulling the trigger?

I say nail him with the tac light, as you yell the warning. If he makes anything even slightly resembling a move for a weapon, I'm pulling the trigger.

Last thing I want to ever do is kill somebody. How many burglars do you think are fast enough to "Beat the Drop"
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Old January 14, 2010, 11:44 AM   #61
jj05

alot of good advice here. The best part about your experience was that therre was no loss of life. Good job my friend.
Old January 14, 2010, 12:04 PM   #62
OldMarksman
Staff

Quote:
How many burglars do you think are fast enough to "Beat the Drop"
The ones with guns in hand and ready who see you before you see them?
Old January 14, 2010, 12:27 PM   #63
Balog

Ah yes, those darn ninja assassins everyone on gun boards seem to be dealing all the time.

If you see an intruder, lighting him up with a high lumen flashlight and issuing a verbal command seems to be a fairly good idea. If there is enough light for target ID, there should be enough light to determine if the subject is armed. All this supposes you see him before he sees you. If someone gets the drop on you, the question of whether to issue a warning is moot, nicht wahr?

Of course some here will say it's legally better to just kill an intruder. I've even seen a thread suggesting if you need to shoot someone on the street you should kill all witnesses just in case they're part of a gang who could ID you for reprisals. I really wonder how many of the people suggesting these things have actually killed someone themselves, or even seen a person die violently.
Old January 14, 2010, 05:28 PM   #64
OldMarksman
Staff

Quote:
If you see an intruder, lighting him up with a high lumen flashlight and issuing a verbal command seems to be a fairly good idea.
Verbal warnings have worked for me three times in the past, in that no shot was required; I did not have, nor did I need, a flashlight.

In none of these instances was the intruder armed with a firearm, and in each case, he was alone.

It would seem to me that giving away one's position by using a fash light on the gun and calling out might prove very disadvantageous in the event of an invasion involving more than one participant, particularly if one or both had firearms, unless one is behind cover in a "safe room." Under those conditions, with little chance of an ambush or crossfire, the idea of illuminating the target and issuing a warning sounds reasonable.

Does anyone happen to know what is advised regarding warnings in the NRA Personal Protection in the Home course?
Old January 14, 2010, 06:26 PM   #65
N.H. Yankee

What horrible advice, haven't any of you figured out you put the flashlight on YOUR WIFE'S SIDE of the bed