The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 19, 2013, 03:57 PM   #1
kh1911

Doubles barrels, Which one?

I saw in one of my local gun shops two spanish made double barrel SxS shotguns. I want a double barrel side by side mainly because i just love the way they look and theyre to fun to shoot. I also would like it for home defense, shooting clays, and maybe some small game. Anyway. I dont know all to much about these spanish guns, but the one is a 20 gauge Zabala for $220, and the other is a Sarasqueta which is a 12 gauge and is $225. They are both in pretty good condition, both dual triggers. Im more into 12s then 20s but im open to changes. Anyone know anything about these guns? Are the reliable, are they a good buy, is it a reasonable price, etc.
Old December 19, 2013, 04:29 PM   #2
BigD_in_FL

They were built to a variety of price points throughout the years and you want to pay special attention to those made during the DIARMS period. That was when just about every Spanish maker somewhat formed like a cooperative so they could all survive but the guns were questionable in quality. No steel through these and the proof marks on the barrels/water table will give you an idea of the tested pressure threshold

Here is a link to to a sticky thread on ShotgunWorld's Spanish gun subsection. From there you can follow the links about proofs, proofmarks, makers' marks etc.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=160159
Old December 19, 2013, 04:44 PM   #3
PetahW

Since both makers made very similar guns, I would think your decision lies more in whether you want a 20ga (my preference) or a 12ga, the condition of both guns being equal, i.e.

Old December 20, 2013, 04:34 PM   #4
jaguarxk120

If you go on guns international the Sarasqueta is listed and the Zabala is not.

I would go for the Sarasqueta first.
Old December 22, 2013, 01:07 AM   #5
sc928porsche

I have owned a Zabala for 49 years. It is a 12ga. 3" with mod/full. An excellent firearm. Everything was hand fitted and is still tight. For a double, it is quite light. As for todays quality, I cannot attest. I wouldn't trade the one I own for anything.