The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 14, 2013, 01:51 AM   #1
overlordofwar

.308 bullet seating help

I just got done trying to load my first batch of .308 rounds and there is a major issue that stopped me in my tracks. When seating the bullets into the cases the bullet fits so loosely that I can remove it by hand. I've taken measurements of the inside diameter of several cases which come to 0.309 to 0.310, which leads me to believe there is something wrong with the dies I'm using (which are some really old Lee dies). I'm wondering if there is some kind of adjustment that needs to be made or if I should just invest in some new dies.
Old March 14, 2013, 03:11 AM   #2
Nathan

Not sure what die you are using, but it sounds like the neck area is too big, or the expander ball is too big.

I think this has also been found with some die brand and brass brand combinations. The die maker should be able to help.
Old March 14, 2013, 04:05 AM   #3
sourdough44

What exact bullet & what type of brass? Is it only the one type of brass, or all you have tried? Have you tried to full length resize the brass, even if new?

After a case is fired a bullet will usually fall in, resizing takes care of that. I had some bulk 30 cal 147 grn bullets that would fall into most necks, even after a resize. It was mostly these bullets with one type of brass, commercial bullets were fine.

Before you start modifying your dies with sandpaper & such I'd try other brass & bullet combinations.
Old March 14, 2013, 05:31 PM   #4
PA-Joe

Is this a neck sizing dies or a full length die? Unscrew the decapping stem and clean the mandrel that sizes the inside of teh neck. You can also polish this so that it is smoother.
Old March 15, 2013, 08:21 PM   #5
Txhillbilly

Is your brass used?
It may need to be annealed.

If you measure the expanding mandrel,and it isn't the problem,I'd anneal your cases and that should fix the problem if your dies are set up correctly.
Old March 15, 2013, 08:37 PM   #6
Jerry45

If it's a Lee Neck Sizing Die it's not adjusted correctly. If it's a Lee Full Length Die it needs to be screwed down until it contacts the shell holder when the ram is all the way up or you won't size the neck. Or it could have the wrong size expander or an oversize expander in the die. We need more info. Do you have the instructions that tell you how to adjust the die? Is it adjusted properly?