The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old February 4, 2011, 09:45 AM   #1
jclayto

AOW possibilities?

First, I am just wishful thinking right now - my wife imposed gun ban is in full force for another year or so

But, when the time comes I think I might like to pick up an AOW for my first NFA adventure. I enjoy owning firearms that are somewhat unique and not something you find everyday at any gun range.

Full auto is out of the question right now as I don't have that much cash to spend. I thought about a suppressor for my SP1 since it is already threaded, but for some reason suppressors don't interest me all that much especially with the $200 stamp.

So this brings me to AOW, $5 stamp, somewhat unique, and not terribly expensive firearms from what i've seen thus far.

My question to you, what are the most interesting AOW's out there? The ones I keep running across are the subaru shorty and other similar pistol shotguns. They look neat, but surely there are other more interesting types of AOW?
Old February 4, 2011, 10:11 AM   #2
Skans

Some of the more interesting AOW's include: Cell-phone gun, GRAD knife gun, pen guns, MP5 briefcase, and cane guns. The Cell-phone guns haven't been made for over 10 years, so expect them to look quite dated (if you can find one). Also, the MP5 Briefcase is a little out of style too.
Old February 4, 2011, 06:19 PM   #3
oneounceload

Serbu Shorty:

http://www.serbu.com/top/superShorty.php
Old February 4, 2011, 07:15 PM   #4
Crosshair

Kimmel Kampers are sometimes hard to find and single shot, but a real hoot.

Old February 6, 2011, 09:22 AM   #5
jclayto

The Kimmel looks really interesting. Assuming I can find one, roughly what do they go for these days?
Old February 6, 2011, 11:11 AM   #6
Crosshair

I bought my 20 gauge for $420. The 12 gauge version often fetches a higher price. Funny thing is that the non AOW Kampers can often be had for dirt cheap.

Here is a 12 gauge model for sale.

Kimel Kamper 12 Ga. AOW Single Shot

The 12 gauge model typically has the barrel cut down more than the 20 gauge to lower velocity because otherwise the recoil would be uncontrollable.
Old February 6, 2011, 07:13 PM   #7
jclayto

..Which brings up a good question. What is recoil like on the super shorty and the Kimel in 12ga? I own a winchester 1300 defender which is a 12ga pistol grip and find the recoil quite manageable. I am just curious what the shorter versions might feel like?
Old February 6, 2011, 07:30 PM   #8
Crosshair

Quote:
..Which brings up a good question. What is recoil like on the super shorty and the Kimel in 12ga? I own a winchester 1300 defender which is a 12ga pistol grip and find the recoil quite manageable. I am just curious what the shorter versions might feel like?
A Winchester 1300 weighs about 6.5 pounds. My Kamper weighs about 3 pounds 11 ounces IIRC with a 12' barrel. Apply Newtons third law of motion and don't fire it one handed with buckshot or slugs, or else the ER will have to surgically remove the gun from your forehead.

Most YouTube videos show people shooting birdshot, which recoils VERY differently from buckshot or slugs.
Old February 7, 2011, 08:06 AM   #9
jclayto

Props to Crosshair for painting a very interesting mental image

I would definitely not shoot buck or slug out of one, I did that a time or two i the 1300 and it was not pleasant.

Thank you for all if the info!
Old February 7, 2011, 11:18 AM   #10
Crosshair

Quote:
Props to Crosshair for painting a very interesting mental image
If I have to give a vague and subjective answer, I try to at least make it entertaining.

Buckshot and slugs are certainly doable in these guns. It just takes practice. Shoot plenty of birdshot to build tolerance and experience.