The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old October 21, 2010, 03:34 PM   #1
Shrapnel

CA gun laws?

Hey everyone, first poster here.

I was wondering about certain gun laws for California, after looking through their site i still couldnt find my answers.
I wanted to know about owning a class 3 permit. Im not trying to make fully autos or silencers, big bore 50 cals or anything but is it required for modifying guns? making new stocks, sight rails, triggers, small things like that? and if i wanted to sell aftermarket parts what would i need, to do it legally?

Thanks in advance, i hope to be posting much more here.
Old October 21, 2010, 04:19 PM   #2
zippy13

Greetings Shrapnel, and welcome aboard.

Check with your local city (or county if in an unincorporated area) about the requirements for obtaining a business license. Some CA cities have pretty bizarre gun laws. Your next step is the franchise tax board for a resale tax number.

If you can legally avoid having a FFL, don't get one. There are some pretty large companies that sell a lot of gun related stuff but don't actually do anything that requires a FFL.

The CA Att'y Gen's web site can steer you to a list of what's prohibited in CA -- like mags with more than 10 rounds capacity. If you really want to be cautions, you could send a letter the AG, describing what you intend to manufacture and/or sell, requesting verification that none of the items are prohibited in CA. Items not controlled by ATF&E can still get you in trouble in CA.
Old October 22, 2010, 06:48 AM   #3
blume357

You are actually asking a question that I think is way out of most of our abilities..

it really sounds like you are wanting to become a manufacturer of firearm parts and specifically class 3 / full auto parts. Actually, that is not that hard to do on the Federal level...but as for doing it in the state of California... I don't have a clue.

Just keep in mind just about all you make can only be sold to police or the military... thanks to one of your ex governors and a late president.
Old October 22, 2010, 07:39 AM   #4
roy reali

re:blume357

Quote:
but as for doing it in the state of California... I don't have a clue.
Who does? As I have said before, the laws of California are so convoluted that anyone with an IQ of less then 150 is helpless in trying to understand them. Anyone that understands these laws should try out for Jeopardy!
Old October 22, 2010, 10:45 AM   #5
zippy13

Quote:
Anyone that understands these laws should try out for Jeopardy!
Alex, I'll try "Crazy in Cali" for $100.
Old October 22, 2010, 10:47 AM   #6
TheGoldenState

lmao^^^