The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 14, 2009, 08:09 PM   #1
Gwhite

Using a Dillon XL650 Sitting?

I just got a new XL650 which I'm in the midst of setting up. My basement has a low ceiling, and my existing benches are high enough to work at comfortably while standing, which means the top of my casefeeder is going to be a good bit over my head. The only existing bench I can mount it to has a beam running above it, and there's only a few inches of clearance.

I'm thinking about building a low bench for the press so that I can operate it while sitting. Then I can just stand up to check or fill the casefeeder. What I'm wondering about is the forces involved in running the machine, especially for full length sizing .308 rifle brass.

Do you have to put enough of your weight into the process that I will just end up popping up & down out of a chair? All of the chairs I have in the shop at the moment have casters, and swivel. I can just imagine myself rolling & spinning around every time I work the handle. I suspect a chair with a fixed seat & good non-slip feet is going to work better, but I'd love to hear some first hand experience. The handle is a good bit longer than on my old Rock Chucker, so I'm assuming the force will be lower. On the other hand, I'll be doing 5 things at once with the XL650 handle, which could largely negate the extra leverage.

I'd also like to know roughly at what angle the force is at a maximum. For example, if you look at the press from the left, I'd guess it's around 3:00. I want to be pushing down using my weight at that point, which says the press should be fairly low. On the other hand, I'll need it high enough so there's room for my knees someplace... I may be that the handle is long enough that I can sit back a bit & it won't be an issue.

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old January 14, 2009, 09:13 PM   #2
Strick

I have always used mine sitting down. There is not a tremendous amount of force that needs to be applied, leverage is a wonderful thing.
Old January 14, 2009, 09:30 PM   #3
Gwhite

That's good news. Brian Enos recommends having the handle at about shoulder height when it is up. Is that about right from your experience? Any thoughts on how securely my chair needs to be nailed down?
Old January 14, 2009, 09:42 PM   #4
Strick

Yeah shoulder height seems about right. I have never bolted a chair down, when it was in my basement in MD I sat on a cheap folding stool. It takes a little effort but it is not like you will be straining on the lever. By little effort I mean you will feel resistance but nothing overwhelming.
Old January 15, 2009, 10:35 AM   #5
TINCUP AL

I would take the casters off of your chair. You should still be able to load just fine while sitting. Good luck
Old January 15, 2009, 10:53 AM   #6
WESHOOT2

sitting through a few million

My XL650 is mounted on a bench 32" high; it's bolted to a 2X6 that slightly extends past the front of the bench, which is then firmly bolted to the bench (which is bolted directly to the Earth's core; suggest you do the same).

I most highly recommend, if any (real) volume loading is anticipated, to use metal folding chairs as your height guide (because constant working at the press causes stress on the chair and floor; I've broken numerous chairs, and worn holes in the floor).

Do yourself an ergonomic favor; buy the roller handle.
Old January 15, 2009, 11:10 AM   #7
jmorris

I use a roll around office chair. It’s adjustable height so I can get to the correct height to run all of the different loaders. FWIW I prefer a good bench to the not so “strong mount”.
Old January 15, 2009, 07:19 PM   #8
Gwhite

I've already got the roller handle. At the recommendation of several folks, I also got the strong mount and the bullet tray that mounts to it. Securely bolted down, I don't think it's going to move unless the bench does.

I've been thinking about getting an adjustable height swivel chair, and then removing the casters. I need to figure out how much room I've got to work with, but the bench won't be very big or heavy. I've been considering attaching the chair to a support sticking out from the bench so that I provide some added mass to stabilize things. Sort of like a kid's school desk where the chair is attached to the desk.

The other advantage of making the chair height adjustable is that it will be easier to press my wife & daughter into helping. The main reason I bought a progressive is to feed them ammo. I can keep up with my own needs with the Rock Chucker, but not with all three of us shooting.
Old January 16, 2009, 12:27 AM   #9
jmorris

Make sure they keep the hands clean after and don’t show them this until they are hooked. http://s121.photobucket.com/albums/o...rrent=1050.flv

The 650 with the gsi and/or kiss is just as fast