The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old January 13, 2005, 11:36 PM   #1
Juggernaut

Jeff Shannon Level 1 Personal Defense Course- Knoxville TN Area

Hey guys- quick intro, I'm Trevor Putnam with Coal Creek Armory, East TN's premiere gun boutique and indoor range. I have the perhaps dubious privilege of working with Tamara on a daily basis, and she suggested that THR folk should know about our class schedule. CCA is offering Jeff Shannon's Level 1 Personal Defense class.

Jeff has 20 years of experience with personal protection and criminal confrontation. He's spent 19 years as a Corrections Officer, with 12 years in Maximum Security, at the Brushy Mountain State Pen. He's one of the guys they send into the cell when the prisoner doesn't want to leave. He's also a graduate of Executive Protectiuon Institute, the best and oldest bodyguard academy. He has 20 years of martial arts training in Chinese, Filipino, Indonesian, Japanese and Western fighting systems. From his experience and his intruction he's distilled an amazingly effective technique, based on real world dangers, not sport, exercise or point fighting. It's the program you want to have taken to come home alive from a dark parking lot, not a clean sterile dojo. All the material he teaches, you can know he's used in real life confrontations with violent criminals.

I was impressed to watch the 'moves' he presented us with in trainign, open handed, and with knife stick and gun trainers, they are simple, yet devastatingly effective, physics based, field tested and highly adaptable to any situation, even for the small or frail. It really has to be seen to be believed, the holds and breaks that he showed us just worked, no matter how big or strong the attacker. I was particularly impressed by the myriad of ways he turned around an attack as quickly as possible, in a variety of simple ways, and put himself in a position to control and damage them regardles of the size, weight, strength of the the attacker.

The course is $100, for the next 5 Friday nights, beginning Friday, January 21. Classes will meet at Coal Creek Armory from 6:30 PM- 8:30 PM(EST). For those who don't know, Coal Creek Armory is off Lovell Road in Knoxville, Exit 374 on I-40, right behind the Truck Stop. Call 865-966-4545 with any questions, ask for Trevor, and I'll answer any questions I can.