The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 20, 2013, 04:48 PM   #1
Tangentabacus

590A1 safety question

As some of you may have seen I got a 590A1 over the last few days and finally got it in my hands to play with it and I'm concerned that the safety isn't working properly. No matter if I have the safety on the hammer will come forward. I feel somewhat competent enough to tear into it on my own but can't seem to find much information on the web about the gun's safety and what parts I should be ordering or how to safely get into that area to figure out what's wrong.

This is a new gun to me so I'm not familiar with how to take it apart much past the tube and barrel.

This gun will be an HD and bear gun so having a properly working safety is extremely important to me as it will spend a lot of its life ready to go. Not to mention I shoot a lot with people who don't shoot or have never shot a gun so this gun is off limits shooting until I can figure out the safety.

Thanks in advanced for answering my noob questions.
Old December 20, 2013, 06:12 PM   #2
Willie Lowman

I don't think the safety on the 590 blocks the hammer. It's only function is to stop the trigger.
Old December 20, 2013, 06:13 PM   #3
g.willikers

The safety button is just held in place with a screw.
You can see it from the top.
However, the actual safety is inside the receiver.
So, the trigger guard and assembly must be removed.
Just two pins hold it all in place.
Then you can see and replace the safety.
There's plenty of youtube videos on how to do it.
http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...sassembly&sm=1
Old December 20, 2013, 09:35 PM   #4
Dreaming100Straight

I believe you bought this from its second owner. You might find that the safety is operating in the manner one of the previous owners intended by fixing the safety so that it cannot be engaged. In other words it's been Bubba'd.

Last edited by Dreaming100Straight; December 20, 2013 at 10:21 PM.
Old December 20, 2013, 09:54 PM   #5
Dreaming100Straight

Thinking about it, can you take the gun back?
Old December 21, 2013, 12:33 AM   #6
Tangentabacus

I highly doubt it... I have a feeling the internals are mostly untouched. From what I can tell a lot of people who know little about the shotgun will install a stock and screw it in too tight causing the safety to not work properly or breaking it.

Nothing else on the gun is broken and in fact it's in quite decent condition as far as I can tell. Doesn't look used that much honestly.
Old December 21, 2013, 12:59 AM   #7
Tangentabacus

Alright... I figured out what is wrong!!

The trigger group housing is made of one piece of forged aluminum and there's like these bits of metal that stick up to hold the plate that helps interface with the safety and they are broken (see attached picture). Now... How to fix it? Any ideas?

Note the bare metal from where there used to be those metal bits.

Last edited by Tangentabacus; December 21, 2013 at 01:06 AM.
Old December 21, 2013, 01:31 AM   #8
Dreaming100Straight

This will give you an idea how busted up that is. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCyGTndIb1k You may just want to order a trigger assembly from Brownells for about $95

You may also want to take a look at this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=687XR4Ckoco

I think Bubba intentionally broke some parts off. For different reasons people defeat their safeties.

Last edited by Dreaming100Straight; December 21, 2013 at 01:39 AM.
Old December 21, 2013, 01:54 AM   #9
Tangentabacus

Thankfully the guy I bought it from is pretty nice. He's offering to buy it back.
Old December 21, 2013, 01:57 AM   #10
Dreaming100Straight

Great. As for being nice, he should never have sold that gun without disclosing its defective condition. It looks to me like it at least needs a connector and a trigger and a trigger assembly housing and he had to have known that it was modified. Do yourself a favor and order a new gun from Buds.
Old December 21, 2013, 02:13 AM   #11
Tangentabacus

As soon as I get the $450 back that's my plan... On the upside of things I've become pretty knowledgeable on how a 590A1 tears down and it's inner workings. So yay for that.
Old December 21, 2013, 05:20 AM   #12
Dreaming100Straight

I was looking at some things and apparently some Bubba could possibly bust his trigger assembly up like that while installing an after market stock with the wrong bolt BUT HE WOULD HAVE TO REALLY FORCE IT. Like forcing too long a bolt with an air gun. Hoping you indeed get your money back.