The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old June 25, 2011, 03:51 PM   #51
Sgt Pepper

Don't get the .22 snake shot comments. I've killed three with the CCI capsule loads. Only took one shot at the head each time. Lot better than leaning in with a shovel in my opinion. The other benefit of the shot shells as opposed to bullets is that there is no down range or ricochet problem if you are in a populated or crowded area. While I agree that they have limited use, they are pretty effective at short range on reptiles and pests.
Old June 25, 2011, 04:09 PM   #52
armsmaster270

I take the 38/357 & 44 Shot Capsules fill them with #11 or 12 shot then load them in my brass. A lot better than #9 in the pre-loaded shells at close range.
Old June 26, 2011, 12:34 PM   #53
gak

Haven't tried the .22 shot yet; will have to some time when I have the "luxury" on the trail--as in distance if it doesn't work out too well But,...never had a problem with store bought .38/.357 or .44.
Old June 27, 2011, 08:04 AM   #54
Nordeste

RedLevel... that is one scary b**t*rd!!. I wonder how much that would weigh!. (the snake, not your revolver ).

Guess the photo if prior to the shot. If you hit the head cleanly, you can have a good belt afterwards.
Old June 27, 2011, 11:07 PM   #55
Eagleks

Quote:
Originally Posted by gak;
...but don't agree on leaving the rattlers (or other venomous ones (but in Az it's primarily rattlers) alone. Anywhere where you/your loved ones or others tromp regularly, - letting the fanged ones go just leaves them as a problem for someone else, their kids, etc, or you to revisit another day under even more unpleasant circumstances. I don't get that.
Anywhere near my domicile or fave fishing hole where my daughter, nieces, nephews or dog might encounter - need to be gone.
Because there are so many snakes out there , that you could spend a lifetime trying to get rid of them, and it would still never happen. Everyone, including my grandkids, realize how to act and deal with them. We keep poisonous one's away from the area of the house... as best we can, and leave the bull and king snakes alone in that area. Bull snakes will drive out a rattlesnake. I'm not going to try hunt all of the snakes down on 320 acres in the flint hills. You are welcome to come out and give it a try.

There is rattlesnake venom vaccines for dogs, cost $25 at your local vet.
Dogs, although not good, don't react as seriously to rattlesnake venom as humans.

Last edited by Eagleks; June 27, 2011 at 11:19 PM.
Old June 28, 2011, 12:40 AM   #56
gak

Eagleks wrote:
I'm not going to try hunt all of the snakes down on 320 acres in the flint hills. You are welcome to come out and give it a try. There is rattlesnake venom vaccines for dogs, cost $25 at your local vet.Dogs, although not good, don't react as seriously to rattlesnake venom as humans.

Don't blame you, but - no thanks, not that enamored with them to overtly seek them out...run across them "accidentally" enough
Many a good gundog is lost annually in the various bird seasons to the fanged ones--despite "snake training."
Old March 6, 2013, 10:40 AM   #57
Garycw

Snake cartridges

Sent from iPhone
Old March 6, 2013, 12:38 PM   #58
DPris
Member Emeritus

Those don't function reliably in ALL .45 ACP autos & are not recommended in revolvers.
Just FYI.
Denis
Old March 6, 2013, 01:33 PM   #59
Sleuth

I have some experience with the canine 'snake vaccine'.

My black Lab "Gunner" was bitten on the face one night in our back yard. We rushed him to the Vet, and when told he had the vaccine on board, he said "Great, all we have to worry about is infection!"
The vet kept him overnight, he was sleepy the next day, and in 48 hours was 100%

It does not "proof" your dog against a rattler, but it does give you more time to get your pup to the vet.

Recommended!
Old March 6, 2013, 01:38 PM   #60
Garycw

Snake cartridges

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPris View Post
Those don't function reliably in ALL .45 ACP autos & are not recommended in revolvers.
Just FYI.
Denis
I haven't tried them in anything yet. Hope they work. I didn't even know they were made for ACP. It did say not for revolvers though. I'll be getting some different .357 shot shells for my revolver

Sent from iPhone

Last edited by Garycw; March 6, 2013 at 03:35 PM.
Old March 6, 2013, 03:09 PM   #61
motorhead0922

Quote:
not recommended in revolvers
Is that because the spent case will stick into the barrel? Seems like it wouldn't stick out that far.

I was thinking these little guys would be better in a revolver, because it's been my experience that the lightweight plastic case won't cycle the slide of a semi-auto.
2020: It's pronounced twenty twenty.
Old March 6, 2013, 03:39 PM   #62
Garycw

Snake cartridges

CCI makes both kinds. One for ACP and one for Revolvers. I'm not sure but thinking the revolvers may be longer?

Sent from iPhone
Old March 6, 2013, 06:12 PM   #63
DPris
Member Emeritus

The .45 ACP versions do not have the plastic shotshell cup, they use a crimped mouth.
That mouth opens up on firing, extending the case length.
The extended length can jam in a revolver chamber, and it can & does also interfere with ejection in SOME autopistols.

Did not eject empties (stuck in the port) on my Colt GM, ran fine without a hiccup in my S&W 4516.

You have to try them in your individual pistol.
Denis
Old March 6, 2013, 07:05 PM   #64
Garycw

Snake cartridges

Thanks DP, I'll try them in a couple different ones. I was a little skeptical and surprised to see they were even made for semi autos

Sent from iPhone
Old March 6, 2013, 07:48 PM   #65
DPris
Member Emeritus

The 9mms were picky, too.
My Glock smashed the plastic shot cups in trying to feed, my Ruger P94 would shoot them all day long.

I've killed a snake with the .22 LR version & tested the Speers in various calibers through over 20 guns of different types.
The only way you'll know if they work in yours is to try them in yours.
Denis
Old March 7, 2013, 09:18 PM   #66
cdbeagle

There are many poisonous snakes in Texas. If they are around the house, yard, or barn I kill them, otherwise I leave them alone. The pictured tool is in my opinion much better for killing snakes than a handgun. It is what I use. I would also much rather use a shotgun than a handgun to kill a snake if my brush cutter wasn't available. Much easier.

Last edited by cdbeagle; March 7, 2013 at 09:33 PM.