The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old May 2, 2011, 05:18 AM   #1
Vans Crew 303rd

Hi new collector and need help

OK here we go. my dad left me in his trust 7 handguns. 5 I have, 2 New York State Police have. the help I seek is any info the members can provide. I know little about old handguns besides firing them and caliber. if anyone can help with a BASE value or range this would be helpful as well. I need to be schooled!!!
with that said this is my new collection:
1 Colt 1860 Army ball and cap s/n 121XX mfg date 1861/62?
fully fuctional, have 5 matching s/n's, condition fair/good maybe better. .44 cal??? not a repoduction

1 C Sharps 4 barrel pepperbox .22 cal says Pat. 1859 on one side
C sharps & Co philada pa on the other. s/n 53XX with a little space then number 2 condition aged, brass is good carved wood grips very good. fully fuctional

1 Colt model ? yr? no PAT. date to be seen. On front trigger ass. left ( gun point away) .455 cal( Brit. round ? } and the letter E. On the barrel it reads Colt's PT FA MFG Co HARTSFORD CT U.S.A. DEPOT 14 PALL MALL LONDON.
S/n on bottom of handle two lines top is 10 under is 5XX single action or thumbed dual action ??? action is smooth if a SA. fully fuctional if SA. it has attachment on bottom of handle under S/n for a strap. nichel plated ?? grip type ?? condition good or better not sure what grips are made of.

1 Colt model ? yr. ? on left side under the cyl. two PAT dates. one july 25 1871 the second july 2 1872 S/n 30XX in two places on the ass. in front of brass trigger guard and on the Cyl. wood grip type ??? brass running front and back of grip. on the barrel a stage coach robbery ingraving. condition fair to good.

1 .22 yr?? model ?? make ?? saye '' ranger 22 long'' ?? this stamped on top of a closed cyl. also stamped under that is PAT MOH 28.71 MAY 27 and two more numbers witch i can not read due to pitting. no S/n can be seen, wood grips, nichel plated condition poor to fair.

the two our State police friends have, and yes I think I know what some might have to say about that situation. I will have these in less the 5 days. here is all I know about them :

1 Smith&Wesson K 22 Master Piece S/n 1353XX Yr 1951 ?? and

1 Colt SA Army .38 special pre WW2 S/n 3555XX Yr 1937/38 ??

Thats it, I know this is a great way to start out thanks to my dad. i know I could be stating condition wrong and understand that these handguns will need a prof. grading. I live in rural new york state, a disabled vet unable to drive, and there seems to be no guns shops within 100 miles who can assist me with grading. i will be buying digital camera soon for those who will want pics.I now have 13 days by NYS law as my dads representative of the trust to secure these handguns while I wait for my NYS gun premit. I guess I will take them out of state like to Pa. or with gun dealer in NYS maybe?? if there's an option I am not thinking of please tell me. again thanks for any info provided and I am looking forward to adding more, as I learn.

thanks Dave
Old May 2, 2011, 08:56 AM   #2
Jim Watson

Well, in the first place we need to get rid of those question marks.
A set of close clear pictures will let board members identify your guns and tie down the period of manufacture. So move ahead with that camera. Be sure to get one with closeup and macro capability. We need to be able to read those markings in 8 point type.

As to value, I am sure somebody here will make a guess; somebody else will tell you to look up completed auctions of similar models on Gunbroker.com and AuctionArms.com. If you need an "official" paid grading and appraisal for insurance or division of the estate, I think there is an outfit that will give you a number based on good photos. There might be somebody in NY that you could get them to. An ordinary gun shop is not worth the trip except in the most general way. The store here charges $30 for an appraisal that mostly consists of looking the model up in the Blue Book and writing the appropriate figure on a FFL letterhead. That might be good enough for insurance, though.

I question the idea of somebody stating a "value" not backed up by a cash offer to buy, but hey, everybody wants to know what his stuff is "worth." And, as said, insurance agents and lawyers want numbers on everything.

Good luck and my condolences on the passing of your Father.
Old May 2, 2011, 04:28 PM   #3
mapsjanhere

Have Amazon ship you the Blue Book before you spend a lot of money on appraisals. Many people here will be able to help you with identifications if you get decent pictures (remember, it's digital so it doesn't cost anything to keep shooting pics until you got it just right), and exact values are so dependent on condition that unless it's a cash offer everything else is someones educated guess.
Old May 2, 2011, 05:29 PM   #4
PetahW

Please accept my condolences, I'm sorry for your loss.

1 Colt 1860 Army ball and cap s/n 121XX mfg date 1861/62? fully fuctional, have 5 matching s/n's, condition fair/good maybe better. .44 cal??? not a repoduction
BBV = $5,000.00 in 50% original condition

1 C Sharps 4 barrel pepperbox .22 cal says Pat. 1859 on one side, C sharps & Co philada pa on the other. s/n 53XX with a little space then number 2 condition aged, brass is good carved wood grips very good. fully fuctional
1st or 2nd Model, BBV = $500

1 Colt model ? yr? no PAT. date to be seen. On front trigger ass. left ( gun point away) .455 cal( Brit. round ? } and the letter E. On the barrel it reads Colt's PT FA MFG Co HARTSFORD CT U.S.A. DEPOT 14 PALL MALL LONDON.
S/n on bottom of handle two lines top is 10 under is 5XX single action or thumbed dual action ??? action is smooth if a SA. fully fuctional if SA. it has attachment on bottom of handle under S/n for a strap. nichel plated ?? grip type ?? condition good or better not sure what grips are made of.
Sounds like a Model 1878 DA in .455 Eley, BBV = $3500.00

1 Colt model ? yr. ? on left side under the cyl. two PAT dates. one july 25 1871 the second july 2 1872 S/n 30XX in two places on the ass. in front of brass trigger guard and on the Cyl. wood grip type ??? brass running front and back of grip. on the barrel a stage coach robbery ingraving. condition fair to good.
Sounds like a Model 1871-1872 Open Top .44 Rimfire, BBV = $25,000.00

1 .22 yr?? model ?? make ?? saye '' ranger 22 long'' ?? this stamped on top of a closed cyl. also stamped under that is PAT MOH 28.71 MAY 27 and two more numbers witch i can not read due to pitting. no S/n can be seen, wood grips, nichel plated condition poor to fair. SNS, BBV = $50 max

1 Smith&Wesson K 22 Master Piece S/n 1353XX Yr 1951 ?? - BBV = $450.00

1 Colt SA Army .38 special pre WW2 S/n 3555XX Yr 1937/38 ?? - Late Smokeless Powder SAA, BBV = $7500.00

Last edited by PetahW; May 2, 2011 at 05:34 PM.