The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 29, 2001, 06:54 PM   #1
Sisco

One load, two guns.

I loaded a bunch of .357 mag using 5.6gr of Titegroup under a 140gr JHP. These worked fine in my GP100 but when I tried them out in my new SP101 (3" barrel) I had difficulity extracting them from the cylinders, no other signs of high pressure - primers OK etc. Is it possible to develop higher pressure in one gun than another? Maybe the SP cylinders are tighter?
Old October 29, 2001, 08:56 PM   #2
C.R.Sam

Quickie check, Try puttin fired brass from the GP into the SP.

Nuther thing.....measure the chamber throats...at the barrel end. Could be that the SP cylinder is bored tighter. Quickie there is see how far a jacketed bullet goes in from the front of the cylinder.

And, I have found a .009" spread tween tightest and loosest .357 barrels. On new guns.

Sam
Old October 29, 2001, 09:21 PM   #3
Sisco

Okay.
The brass test: two of five cylinders the brass from the GP fit fine, dropped right to the rim, the other three cylinders had to be pushed the last 1/16" or so. (.38 spcl, didn't have any unsized .357)
The bullet test: four of five cylinders the bullet would pass through with slight effort, some less than others. The fifth cylinder the bullet had to be forced through. As another test I dropped the jacketed bullet in from the back then pushed it all the way through with a pencil. Same thing, 4 of them dropped on through with very little effort the 5th one requrired considerable force to get it through.
Tried the same thing with the GP, they all went through with ease but then again the GP's had a couple thousand rounds through it.
I'm going to take the cylinder to work tomorrow and have a machinist check the inside diameter of all 5 cylinders.
Call Ruger?
Another note. I had 6 rounds of .357 lead SWC's that I fired though the SP, can't remember the data on the load, but they ejected ok.
Old October 30, 2001, 10:00 PM   #4
WESHOOT2

Try a slower powder.
I use W296, H110, AA9, N110, 2400, 3N37 (special -- take care), Universal Clays, W231, Bullseye and AA2. (slow to fast).

The most accurate load = 140g, H110, CCI550.
Old October 30, 2001, 10:27 PM   #5
Sisco

Definately a problem with one of the chambers. Took the cylinder out and took it to work with me today. On close inspection one chamber looks like it's peened on one side causing a restriction. I'll take it back to the dealer Friday. To make matters worse, this is the second gun! The cylinder sometimes wouldn't close and the extractor would stick on the first gun. The dealer contacted Ruger and they shipped out a new one. I was pretty pleased with the quick turnaround but now I discover the second gun has problems too.
I've always considered myself a Ruger kinda guy, own 6 of 'em, but this is startin' to tick me off.