The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 20, 2000, 11:15 PM   #1
bernie

I am looking for a good layout boat for duck hunting. In the strong chance that my terminology is different than yours, let me explain a layout boat.
It is a small boat, generally that can be carried by one many and can fit in the back of a pickup with the tailgate down. It needs to carry one or two people and have enough room for 2 shotguns and a few duck decoys. Shallow draft, wide bottom. It is something that would not be paddled realistically more than a quarter to half mile. It also must be stable enough to shoot out of. Price is always a consideration, but value is important.
Has anybody seen something like this. I have seen several designs, but have not found one I like yet. Please do not assume I have seen the one you would mention but think I probably already know about.
Thanks
Old November 20, 2000, 11:59 PM   #2
Field-dressed

Bernie, Have you seen the Poke Boat? They have several designs from small to canoe-sized. I've had my eye on the Poke Boat Maxi which can carry you and your dog plus gear. Weighs about 40 lbs or so. I've paddled the standard poke boat, tracks like a dream and weighs 20-some lbs. You're looking at about a grand with shipping.
http://www.pokeboat.com/fowl.htm