The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 16, 2010, 02:31 PM   #1
jmquinn05

Finishing brass

I found a CVA 1861 Colt Navy that my dad got years ago and I just about have it done except for the brass and grip. I have the brass looking alot better than it did when I opened the kit but it still could use some work. I am out of ideas on what to use, this is the first kit I have built and the instructions for the gun are long gone. If anyone has any ideas that would be great. Thanks.
Old October 16, 2010, 03:33 PM   #2
bedbugbilly

I'm assuming the brass is "as cast"? If so, staert with a fine mill file and smooth up the casting. Brass has a tendency to "clog" the teeth of the file which can cause even more "scratches" - one way around this is to run a piece of chalk over the file before filing and repeat as necessary. From there, various grades of emery paper can be used. Back the emery paper with a small wood block or similar so that surfaces remane flat and square where they need to be. Once you have it worked down with the emery paper - say perhaps a 400 or 600 grit, you can then do a final buffing of it with a buffing wheel mounted on a grinder utilizing rouge. Just take it slow and don't over file, emery paper or buff in order to keep square edges square, etc. It sounds like you have a fun project - good luck with it! Others on here will probably have other suggestions as well as there is always more than one way to "get 'er done".
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old October 16, 2010, 03:44 PM   #3
jmquinn05

It has been very fun working on it and I'm almost sad that its nearing the end but the result will be worth it. Thd steel was rusted from years of being in a shed but with some work it now has the look of an old gun. Thanks for the tips they will help out alot.
Old October 16, 2010, 04:57 PM   #4
whipper

Most all of my BP guns were kits, I had a lot of fun putting them together, a lot of filing and sanding.

If you have a dremal tool you can use it to get into the small areas for sanding and polishing.

I use Flitz to polish all the brass, with very little effort it will look like gold when done.

Have fun!
Old October 16, 2010, 05:48 PM   #5
Doc Hoy

JM,

Once you get the finish where you want it you can hit it with Brasso or Neverdull. It'll shine like a ruby in a goat's a __ __.