The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 26, 2009, 08:38 PM   #1
Homerboy

Knoxx Spec Ops vs. Limbsaver?

How does the Limbsaver pad compare to a Knoxx Spec-op's? I have the Knoxx on my 870, and while it does change the "punch" to a "push", I get whacked in the cheek everytime I fire it! I have looked at the pic for the proper alignment and am doing it correctly. The Limsaver claims to do wonders and is much cheaper, plus it keeps the traditional look.
Old August 26, 2009, 08:43 PM   #2
ebutler462

Limbsaver for me.
Old August 26, 2009, 08:43 PM   #3
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Never used the Knoxx but the Limbsavers are incredibly effective.
Old August 27, 2009, 07:25 AM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

A couple Limbsavers here. One on the B gun. T'other adorns an NEF single shot 12 gauge.

Both do the job of turning the recoil mule into a pony.
Old August 27, 2009, 09:41 AM   #5
Technosavant

I use a SpecOps, but never have gotten whacked in the cheek- you need to remember the receiver slides in the channel, so your face needs to be kept farther back than you might otherwise do.
Old August 27, 2009, 09:55 AM   #6
hoytinak

I've never used a SpecOps recoil pad (didn't even know they made one) but I can highly recommend Limbsaver, Kick Eez and Gooey recoil pads.
Old August 27, 2009, 09:59 AM   #7
oneounceload

If you're getting whacked in the cheek, then your stock is not fitting you properly. There's more to stock fit than just LOP. Properly fitted, recoil will feel much less, even more so with a good pad.
Old August 27, 2009, 02:55 PM   #8
Homerboy

No matter what position I put my cheek, I get whacked. Only way to avoid it is to raise my cheek off the stock, which isn't apppropriate for accuracy. Maybe the stock just doesn't fit me.
Old August 27, 2009, 03:58 PM   #9
Shpadoinkel

I don't know how accurate it is, but I read somewhere (could have even been the instruction manual on mine) that if you're getting bad cheek-slap, an easy fix is to extend it out one more position.
Old August 27, 2009, 06:45 PM   #10
Homerboy

I have tried it on every position. The 870 just has a bead sight, so you have to put your head low to acquire it.
Old August 27, 2009, 06:56 PM   #11
oneounceload

Quote:
The 870 just has a bead sight, so you have to put your head low to acquire it.
A bead sight is just fine - you should be placing the gun in your shoulder and it should be situated so you are not lowering your head that much, if at all. It really sounds like this stock just isn't fitted right
Old August 29, 2009, 12:29 PM   #12
Homerboy

Quote:
A bead sight is just fine - you should be placing the gun in your shoulder and it should be situated so you are not lowering your head that much, if at all. It really sounds like this stock just isn't fitted right
I don't know. I seat the butt into the pocket of my shoulder, and lower my face so I can see down the barrel to the sight. I pull the trigger and WHAM. Only way to avoid it is to literally take my face off the stock, but accuracy goes out the window then. I have moved up and down on the adjustable stock, and no difference.

Doesn't really happen when I shoot my 930 SPX with a standard stock configuration.
Old August 29, 2009, 12:34 PM   #13
MLeake

I don't have one on my 12ga...

... but I have a LimbSaver on my .30-06 Remington 700. It makes a tremendous difference. 40 rounds from a bench, no bruise. Hard to beat that.
Old August 29, 2009, 01:17 PM   #14
sakeneko

We just got and installed a Knoxx SpecOps on our new Mossberg 500 this week, and will be taking it out and shooting it this weekend. I'll report back on what I think. (We got it because I couldn't handle the gun properly with the stock it came with -- too long -- and wanted something that could absorb a bit of the recoil.)
Old August 29, 2009, 08:08 PM   #15
7jinxed7

I had Limbsaver when I first bought my 870.The Limbsaver is great I loved it.I did later switch to a Knoxx stock because I wanted a shorter stock.The Limbsaver is the way to go if your fine with traditional stocks.The Knoxx has had alot of complaints similar to yours.If you extend the stock it will be worse.If you put the stock high on the shoulder with the pressure on the lower portion of the buttpad it will be worse.Their seems to be alot of flex to the stock when fully extended.I use my stock on position 3 I believe and its not too bad as long as you keep it low on the shoulder.
Old August 31, 2009, 02:40 PM   #16
sakeneko

Finally went out and shot our Mossberg 500 with the new Knoxx SpecOps stock. All I can say is -- Wow! I can shoot this 12-gauge shotgun without bruising my shoulder up, and when the stock is adjusted to its shortest (of five) positions I can reach the forend properly to hold the gun while shooting.

From what I'm reading here, the Limbsaver may work better for people who can handle the standard length stocks, but the Knoxx SpecOps made a huge positive difference for me.