The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 5, 2008, 02:19 PM   #1
macmonkey

Vietnam Era Shotgun?

I was speaking with a friend of mine whom fought in 'nam. He was telling me about his carry-gun which was a shotgun that would shoot "on the pump". It didn't have a trigger.

Does anyone know what this shotgun could have been? I'd like to learn more about it.

Thanks
Old November 5, 2008, 02:28 PM   #2
New_Pollution1086

sounds like a bad idea.

you wouldnt be able to have one in the hole ready to go.

T
- T. Boone Pickens
Old November 5, 2008, 02:29 PM   #3
Chipperman

No trigger? That doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

I've not heard of that, but the older "trench shotguns" did not have a disconnect, so you could hold down the trigger and it would fire when pumped.
Old November 5, 2008, 02:34 PM   #4
Scattergun Bob

macmonkey

Gee, that is interesting!

The military had both Win M-12 and Ithaca M-37 pump guns that would fire by holding the trigger back (slam fire). I suppose you could wire the trigger back and have a slam fire only scattergun, But Why Would You?

I carried at times a M-37, M-12, 870 in that part of the world. Some very interesting and specialized weapons emerged from the bush, so could have been a "creative" field gunsmith job.

Like most specialized weapons in war, scatterguns took on the personality of there unit or owner, some modifications latter became standard issue, others became the trivia of war, Remington's model 7188, and the duckbill diverter come to mind.

Good Luck & be safe
Old November 5, 2008, 05:22 PM   #5
macmonkey

Thanks Guys

Thanks guys - After reading it sound like he was talking about about the M-37. Next time I see him I'll ask.

Not that I want one or anything. Just seemed like an interesting weapon.
Old November 5, 2008, 07:04 PM   #6
Hemicuda

Scattergun Bob...

you got everything right there, but the name of the feature...

in firearms terms, it is called an "Auto-Trigger"...

I have a pump .22, and a couple pump shotguns that have the feature, including a Remington 870 Marine Magnum...

I even have a paintball gun called a Benjamin-Sheridan P-68-AT which stands for Pump action, .68 caliber, Auto-Trigger...

slam-fire has the unfortunate stigma of meaning a gun that fires accidentally, upon the closing of the bolt, and in FA terms, of a gun that fires intentionally, upon closing of the bolt... on a pump, it is usually called an Auto-Trigger, FYI...

gun and car collector.
Rare cars, and rarer guns.
Old November 6, 2008, 12:07 AM   #7
Scattergun Bob

Hemicuda

Thanks for that information, been around this stuff for awhile never heard of auto-trigger.

Of interest to me is a 870 that has a auto-trigger, not that I am an expert but I can not see how that would work with the current trigger group configuration. I would think you would have to alter the catch trigger hook to get it to work. Please share!
Old November 6, 2008, 08:08 PM   #8
Hemicuda

you have it right, SB... the trigger group isn't stock... heck, the housing is billet aluminum...

when I bought the gun, used, it came with a box-o-parts... in there was a trigger group, made of billet aluminum, that intermnally appeared to have a "Ithaca Mod. 37" look to it, but definitely for a Rem. 870...

when I inquired about it, the guy selling it told me it was his dad's personal home-defense shotgun, and his dad, a gunsmith by trade, had made a trigger group, based on the Mod. 37, but fit to the 870, to get the auto-trigger in there...

all I did was drop the stocker and re-install the AT...

I also got a sweet extended-mag-tube clamp with integral swivel stud, aluminum magazine follower, a laser and mount, and all the stock, originall parts...

gun and car collector.
Rare cars, and rarer guns.