The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old November 2, 2006, 11:18 PM   #1
ITEOTWAWKI

Odd day...

Had an odd day today, nothing serious, just odd. It started when a strange car parked in my driveway to look at the "For Rent" sign next door. Wasn't that annoying, just blocked me in for a minute when they should have rounded the block or turned around. That brough me up to condition yellow +1.

Then a young stranger knocked on my door asking to use the phone. After making sure he was alone and observing his eyes & behavior, I let him use the phone outside. Turns out he missed his bus and had too call his mom. Not a big deal, but he just looked shady. Sounded very polite and well mannered, just dressed like a hoodrat. Condition Yellow +2.

Then a cable van pulls up. Odd looking character asking to inspect the work of the cable installer who came a few days before. His van and uniform seems legitimate so I let him in.

Nothing really happened all day, just the frequency of strangers coming into 'my zone' kinda bothered me. For a moment when I didn't know what all the strangers were up too I'd kinda tested my missus by making a gun sign with my hand and knodding to the bedroom. She completely missed it. Warrior mindset, she has not. I need to take her shooting more and try to get her into a more paranoid mentality. Rappelling ninja zombies could rush us at any minute for crying out loud...and she'd still be at the computer going "huh?"
Old November 3, 2006, 10:09 AM   #2
Dino.

There's a fine line between cautious and paranoid.
I'd suggest decaf.
Old November 3, 2006, 10:37 AM   #3
mikejonestkd

decaf, and soon!!!!

Actually I get a bit that way in my neighborhood too when things get out of place or unfamiliar cars or people are present. I live at a deadend street on the edge of a neighboorhood that backs up to thousands of acres of woods so any unfamiliar person or car is either lost or up to no good.

in my case having two LEOS on my street I know that we are covered.
Old November 3, 2006, 10:42 AM   #4
Samurai

If you've trained enough, then you need to trust yourself and rely on your training. If you haven't trained enough, then you need to train more, and then trust yourself and rely on your training.

(Come to think of it, amend that statement: You ALWAYS need to train more. But, it doesn't hurt to believe in your training and trust in yourself.)

Remember, all of this - the guns, the permits, the plans, the training - all of it is so that you don't have to be afraid. If you're afraid anyway, then you need to go back to basics. Train, train, train!

It sounds like your wife maybe could use some more training...

- Why is it that we fire 1,000 rounds and know that we need more practice, but yet we punch a bag 10 times and think we know how to fight?

- When in doubt, train, train, train...
Old November 3, 2006, 10:44 AM   #5
mete

Did you get plate numbers ? check IDs ? There was a murder here which was solved in half a day because someone saw something suspicious and wrote down a plate number !!
Old November 3, 2006, 11:01 AM   #6
Dino.

Quote:
Did you get plate numbers ? check IDs ? There was a murder here which was solved in half a day because someone saw something suspicious and wrote down a plate number !!
Don't forget camera phones for any "suspicious" activity as well.
A quick snap-shot of the plate with a camera phone may also confirm things like color, make and model of the vehicle as well.

Maybe a quick snap-shot of the cable guys and/or their van?
As well as the "suspicious" vehicle parked in your driveway?

This would also document th date and time as well.

Camera phones are never discussed in these scenerios and IMO, should be.
Old November 3, 2006, 01:07 PM   #7
Desert Heat

You need a security center and when strangers come overs, tie a bandana around your head and the black paint under your eyes with a machete. Let them in and say today is the day, anytime now.
Old November 3, 2006, 01:39 PM   #8
ITEOTWAWKI

I'd just rather be paranoid and overly scrutinize every stranger coming in and around my home than inattentive and oblivious.

I guess I've just been tired and busy moving into a new house this week and I've just been wanting to bar the doors and fill the moat.
Old November 3, 2006, 01:57 PM   #9
DWARREN123

It's a mind set, some have it some don't. I spent too long in the ARMY and strange things make me look more closely and think what can happen.
Old November 3, 2006, 02:08 PM   #10
Desert Heat

I think you should let them in and hand them a rifle and say today we fight. I don't think they will come around anymore.
Old November 3, 2006, 02:27 PM   #11
marlboroman84

I've always been overlycautious. Not paranoid really, just certain things make me become a bit more wary.

I've always had a knack for remembering things and noting people. I can make pretty good observations about people and things like that.

Me and a friend were watching The Bourne Identity one afternoon and there's a part where Matt Damon is talking to the girl and he says something like "I can tell you the license plate numbers of all six cars in the parking lot. I can also tell you the guy sitting at the bar weighs 215 pounds and knows how to handle himself." My friend turns and looks at me and goes 'Maybe you should be a spy, cause that's you all over.'

Anyway, I'd rather be overlycautious, than be dead because I didn't pay enough attention.
Old November 3, 2006, 02:27 PM   #12
stephen426

ITEOTWAWKI...

Unless you are worth a lot of dough, live in a bad area, or have some people that are really pissed off at you, I would chill out a little. Most criminals would prefer the home owner NOT be at home while they are doing their business.

I work in the restaurant business which is a mostly cash based business. I am cautious, not paranoid. I watch people's eyes to see what they are looking at. I watch to see how long people stay, especially around closing time. I check restrooms and doors at closing and always have a few staff around until we all leave together. One of my managers was robbed at knife point on the way to night drop and another was robbed in the parking lot. We also had someone break into the store and walk out with the safe (baught it all on tape too). This occured in a shopping center in downtown Miami. Needless to say, I am always armed and on high alert when I am there.

Last edited by stephen426; November 3, 2006 at 03:23 PM.
Old November 3, 2006, 02:44 PM   #13
Desert Heat

He is 3 out of 3 of what you listed there.
Old November 3, 2006, 02:53 PM   #14
ITEOTWAWKI

I thought I was only 2 for 3...what do you know that I don't?
Old November 3, 2006, 03:06 PM   #15
Dino.

Quote:
I'd just rather be paranoid and overly scrutinize every stranger coming in and around my home than inattentive and oblivious.
No one's suggesting you be "inattentive and oblivious".
Maybe your behavior was appropriate for the area in which you live, I dunno.
I personally would not be overly concerned if any of those things you mentioned happened to me. And I certainly wouldn't want to alarm my wife or other family members by motioning them to grab my roscoe whenever the doorbell rings. But again, that's just me.

It's your right to protect yourself and your family and I guess only you can really determine what would be considered a "threat".
It just sounds a little "paranoid" to me.
Old November 8, 2006, 04:52 AM   #16
Blackwater OPS

Quote:
I spent too long in the ARMY and strange things make me look more closely and think what can happen.
I don't know if it's really related, but all my army vet friends(and myself) have a mindset somewhere on the paranoid side of cautious...
-Ben Franklin

Spc. Jeremy M. Campbell
Died 9/1/2005
and the best DS ever
MSG Matthew Ritz
Died 11.23.2005
matthewritz.com

For those who have had to fight for it, Life holds a special meaning that the protected will never know.

(\__/)
(='.'=) Someone set us up the bunny!
(")_(")
Old November 8, 2006, 06:18 PM   #17
45-70

Air Force, but still cautious

Blackwater, I'm old Air Force, but had enough counter-terrorism training and practice (thankfully, not "experience") to be really cautious, too. Frankly, I seriously doubt I would have let a guy come in to "check the work" of another cable installer, unless I had called about problems. Not necessarily paranoia, but lots of folks don't get invited into my house and he would not qualify for an invite.
Old November 8, 2006, 09:58 PM   #18
bennnn

SKSFOREVER is still spitting his immature crap.... With a new label....
Man, you've got a second chance with a new handle,,, don't blow it.....

ITEOTWAWKI,

I feel you buddy, and I've put a +1 your way on a few things, so I'm going to give you my $.02 on this;
Quote:
get her into a more paranoid mentality
I know some guys are jumping on you for the word paranoid, but I'm not getting on that wagon..
My lady is the same way. I love her more than anything in the world, I'd kill or die for her if it came to it, but she has absolutly no idea what self defense really means.... She can shoot, kick, punch, ect, ect... But if I yell "duck" out of the blue she'll say "huh?".... If some S ever H's The F,,, well, it's my job to protect her untill she gets with the program.. I have trained my mind to take up her slack. She'd be great firing from cover or calling 911, AFTER the SHTF, but as far as premptive action based on instinct or observation before that moment I hope never comes,,,, well....

That's why I keep good dogs in the house, she just NEEDS some kind of DEW to bring her up from white to yellow....

Quote:
There's a fine line between cautious and paranoid.
I'm a J. Cash fan, AND I walk that line, but I know both sides of it well.

Quote:
Not necessarily paranoia, but lots of folks don't get invited into my house
+1 45-70...
Old November 9, 2006, 02:22 PM   #19
oldbillthundercheif

I also reside on the mildly paranoid side of cautious. It's an old habit.
Old November 9, 2006, 02:43 PM   #20
Edward429451

Within reason, there's no such thing as paranoia.

How many times we hear of something happening and people chime in to say OMG I never thought that he'd do that etc. Paranois is largly a buzz word used to get people to drop their guard.

I spot check my guys work by going to the customers house usually unannounced when in the area. Plenty of ID and politeness. Keeps the slackers on their toes.