The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 1, 2006, 09:52 PM   #1
Doug.38PR

Fobus: Holster of Death

I would post pictures posting what I am talking about, but for some reason my phone camera isn't picking up my guns anymore when I photograph them (all blurry....and it only messes up when photoing guns now ) Anyway,
I just bought a Sig Sauer P226 9mm from the gun show in Houston yesterday .
I also bought a plastic holster by Fobus in which the gun snaps into place fitting into it. I CAN'T GET THE GUN OUT!!!! The dealer told me all you have to do is give it a good jerk or snap and it pops out. The gun is solidly in the holster and I can't get it out unless I take it off the belt and work it lose in the holster.
What is the deal there? Is Fobus a bad holster design?
Old January 1, 2006, 10:23 PM   #2
Wildalaska

Quote:
Is Fobus a bad holster design?
Yep

WildjunkAlaska
Old January 1, 2006, 11:07 PM   #3
GallantAlpha

Fobus Holster

I've never done this with a holster. But you might want to throw it in the oven for a few minutes (keeping an eye on it of course). Then take it out, completly wrap your gun with a clean non-tacky thin towel and slide it in the holster. Let it cool down, remove towel and see if it worked. Like I said I have not done this with holsters but I have seen it done when someone gets new skates. And they do it to get the skate to conform to the buyers foot. Which is basically what your trying to do.

If you do try it, just make sure not to over heat to the point where the plastic is tacky. That way if it doesn't work you might be able to get your money back.

Good Luck!

GA
Old January 1, 2006, 11:09 PM   #4
NDN-MAN

Doug

I have never seen fobus holster without screws on it. Have you let the tension off the screws holding the gun in place? If not give it a try. It should work then the gun should come out. Then adjust the holster until you are comfortable with it. If this does not work take it back. GOOD LUCK
Old January 1, 2006, 11:10 PM   #5
Lycanthrope

She's too tight. Plastic holsters are very fast when setup correctly.
Old January 1, 2006, 11:36 PM   #6
choochboost

I have no problems drawing from my fobus. Its only secure enough to keep it...uh...secure. I can actually draw from it pretty easily. By the way, my fobus does not have retention screws that you can adjust. Before purchasing my fobus I asked around a lot and some guys indicated that not every fobus holster is the same. Some apparently are super tight, like yours, while others are easier to draw from like mine. One guy suggested that you try your gun in different fobus holsters before buying to make sure you like the fit. I know that sounds like a lot of work just to get a holster that should fit in the first place. If you really want to see why the fobus is the holster of death, you should check out the video floating around cyberspace of the fobus paddle holster that breaks right off the guys hip.
Old January 1, 2006, 11:47 PM   #7
GLP Standard

Thats exactly how mine was when I got it the other day in the mail. I couldnt get my gun out at first. Had to put it on me, and jerk it as hard as I could.

Adjust the retention screw, and youll be fine. You can make as hard/as easy as you want with the retention screw.

Fobus is a very simple holster design, and its perfectly safe, making it ideal IMO for open carry.
Old January 2, 2006, 12:02 AM   #8
Lycanthrope

Or...put your gun in a plastic bag and heat the holster until it spreads. Let her cool and see how it fares.
Old January 2, 2006, 01:24 AM   #9
L-2

Fobus has a fine holster for the money(less than $30);
I've found a little WD-40 sprayed inside the holster can help;
I do not recommend heating the holster and I'm unaware of any retention/adjustment screws, other than the one on the "Roto" versions, which control cant;
Fobus lists the "SG21" series for the SIG P226 models. Check to be sure you have a holster in this series;
Some P226 models now have bottom rails, but the original did not. Although Fobus says its holsters fit P226's with rails, I don't know if this could be a related problem.

Let us know how it all works out.

Last edited by L-2; January 3, 2006 at 10:43 PM.
Old January 2, 2006, 01:32 AM   #10
BillCA

Heating a plastic holster can ruin it if you're not careful.

Next time, spray a cloth with Pledge furniture polish and wipe down the inside first.

You might check out Galco's M7X holster. I have these for my 1911's and Glock and they're the most comfy belt holsters I've used in years.
Old January 2, 2006, 01:34 AM   #11
Lycanthrope

I've never ruined one while heating it with the gun IN the holster.........

It doesn't seem to be usefull for him as is.....
Old January 2, 2006, 02:20 AM   #12
tshank

Go to your trusty drill press and drill a hole through the retention dimple. Keep enlarging hole until you get the amount of retention you desire. If not satisfied, throw the holster away and buy a good one.
Old January 2, 2006, 02:32 AM   #13
Zen900

Any moron can buy a gun that suits to a T but darn if buying a good holster isn't a hassle. I bought 3 before I found one I liked and even then I settled.
Old January 2, 2006, 03:00 AM   #14
newworldCurmudgeon

Didn't like my fobus at first

I had the same problem with my fobus/glock at first.....eventually it worked, with a lot of practice draws.....I also learned I do not like paddle style holsters. Here is a link to a kydex maker in Tucson, I bought a tuckable IWB from him, had a problem (I have the extended magazine release, and occasionally the mag was releasing while in the holster) brought it back and he fixed it up for me. Tension is also adjustable. They can make 'em left or right handed etc

http://buybrownholsters.com/
Old January 2, 2006, 05:17 AM   #15
Optical Serenity

As much as I prefer Safariland and Galco, I like my Fobus every now and then for a very lightweight quick H&K holster....
Old January 2, 2006, 07:01 AM   #16
tegemu

It may sound simplistic but have you asked Fobus?
Old January 2, 2006, 09:37 AM   #17
Double Naught Spy

My mom had the same problem with her Fobus Paddle Holster for her Glock 26. When she claimed she could not draw her gun, I asked to try. I thought I would just pull the gun from the holster on her blet. I lifted my late 60ish mother off the ground, much to her horror and the fact that she was off balance and her pulling up of the gun, hence holster hence belt hence jeans apparently produced a very uncomfortable sensation.

I dribbled in some water and got the gun out.

WD40 sounds good, but for things like plastics, one of the best lubes you can get is Armor All. Between a little ArmorAll and me taking the gun home for a few hundred practice draws, she can use it just fine.

Since then, we have applied Armorall a couple of times. You can even put a tad on the trigger guard if the guard is plastic (as on a Glock) but do NOT apply it to the frame other other plastic parts because it will make them slick and hard to handle.
Old January 2, 2006, 10:50 AM   #18
HappyGunner

You'r next holster

I sure would be contacting Comp-Tac and see what they have to offer.
http://www.comp-tac.com/
Old January 2, 2006, 01:19 PM   #19
ISP2605

Where are you finding Fobus holsters with tension screws?
I've sold a couple of hundred Fobus for Glock 22/23 and several for J frames and PPK. None of them had tension screws. Every Fobus I have ever seen were riveted.
Old January 2, 2006, 03:09 PM   #20
GLP Standard

^Its my understanding after reading this thread and another thread and looking at a couple pictures that only the Roto holsters have retention screws. Ill take a picture of mine in a few minutes to show what it looks like with one
Old January 2, 2006, 03:50 PM   #21
ISP2605

GLP,
Please do.
Even the rotos I've seen are riveted. The only screw I saw was the one allowing for the angle adjustment.
Old January 2, 2006, 03:54 PM   #22
GLP Standard

Sorry, bad photos, but you get the point. My camera makes pictures look like this for some reason.

Here is the rubber circle that pushes the back and front of the holster apart

and here is the screw to adjust it, right below where the trigger guard goes.
Old January 2, 2006, 04:02 PM   #23
ISP2605

Appreciate it. Fobus must have wised up some to start including that adjustment. I had several dozen for Glock 22/23 that I had to send back. You couldn't hardly get a gun in one and if you could you couldn't get it out if it was on your pants. Way undersized. They would fit 2nd gen Glocks OK but 3rd gens were just a bit oversized somewhere. They made good on them but it was just the hassle. Thanks for the photos.
Old January 2, 2006, 04:39 PM   #24
choochboost

Glad I didn't need a adjustable rention screw on my fobus cause it doesn't have one.
Old January 2, 2006, 04:56 PM   #25
Doug.38PR

the holster has no screws on it. BUT I just stretched the holster apart and put something in between the back end of it to hold it that way for a few minutes and it worked. It seems to come out okay now. The holster is loose...but somewhat secure (I'm sure it won't just flop out if I jump or run )