The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old November 18, 2011, 12:34 AM   #1
checkmyswag

Military service turn you off of military style rifles?

I now have no desire to buy an AR15. The M16A2 and M4 were fine rifles that functioned pretty well, handled great and were accurate.

I don't know if I've just "punched that card" and moved on or what?

I was also a SAW gunner, and it was fun at the time to shoot it on the range, especially with tracers at night, I don't have any desire to now shoot a machine gun at a rental range.

Anyone else?

I actually don't like the shotguns/rifles with M4 style stocks. I don't want/need pistol grips. I don't want/need my gun to be all black.

Not slamming anyone for being into military style arms, I still appreciate what they are and am not ruling out ever picking up one again, but I'm just not "into" it anymore.
Old November 18, 2011, 12:41 AM   #2
riggins_83

Working at a gun store I hear that a lot- "I don't want one of these- feel like I'm at work."
Old November 18, 2011, 01:55 AM   #3
rtpzwms

You are not alone. Still no black rifles here, as close as I come is a Thompson 1927A-1 T1-C it is black currently but that can be changed. But it looks nothing like an AR.
Old November 18, 2011, 05:49 AM   #4
WC145

I never really liked the AR-15/M16 platform, not even waaayyy back in the early 80's when I was in the service. Disliked them as patrol rifles as well, just had to tolerate them. Switched to a SIG 556 Classic and I'm much happier with it - the balance, ergonomics, recoil, ease of care - hell, just the overall feel of it fits me much better than the Stoner design. I won't be going back.
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge or jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - LtCol Jeff Cooper
Old November 18, 2011, 06:38 AM   #5
Master Blaster 2

At first afterI left the Army in 1978. I Was into guns but never wanted an AR. Then when the Chine AKs hit the market in the 80's I thought no Commie gun for me.
Now I have them all plus. Lost my hang ups.
Old November 18, 2011, 06:44 AM   #6
AirForceShooter

I was issued the first btach of m-16's.
Learned to hate it.
I mean; hate, distrust and avoid carrying it at any cost.

To this day I won't pick one up.

I want my m-14 back.

AFS
Old November 18, 2011, 07:06 AM   #7
jason_iowa

I miss some of the HKs that they don't let me own as a civilian. I would love to have a saw! Generally I like the older military rifles. If I had endless money I would have one or two of everything.

I'm not a big fan of the 5.56 but it has its uses. I'm not a fan of the M9 but we had HKs or 1911s and I would never buy a 92.

I like anything in 7.62
.45 in any form
Would love to have a .50 BMG in any form
Old November 18, 2011, 07:12 AM   #8
TNT

Military rifles don't bother me I have a M4 variant a Garand a M1 carbine and a k98 but the only one I am contemplating on selling is the M4 only because I dont shoot it and I am bored with it after 20+ yrs I still believe they had their time and purpose
Old November 18, 2011, 08:23 AM   #9
Uncle Buck

The only military rifle I want is an M-1 Garand. I just do not care to play with the newer ones.

Maybe because for six months out of a year, for four years, I carried the M-16 with me everywhere. I would have that rifle when I slept, when I showered, eating chow, or using the bathroom. It was just me and that rifle. I think it scarred me for life.

A friend has the AR-15 version and was at the house one day shooting. I shot it once and heard that twang of the spring and lost all interest. I did show him how to field strip and clean it. ("Are you sure that spring is supposed to come out?" In reference to the buffer spring.)

I do have a Chinese (?) SKS in the safe. It was given to me and I lied and said I thought it was pretty neat, thanks. Never shot the thing. Looks like it might be in good shape, but it has the bayonet attached. Maybe someday one of the boys will want to shoot it.
Old November 18, 2011, 08:29 AM   #10
4thHorseman

checkmyswag, you are not alone brother. I do believe it will chnage with the years, however.
When I first got our, I could not tolerate an "Officer" or "Commanader" style 1911s just because it had the words in them.
Later in life, I lost the feeling and I don't mind any longer.
But, I do understand where you are coming from.
The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed -- where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once." -- Justice Alex Kozinski, US 9th Circuit Court, 2003
Old November 18, 2011, 08:32 AM   #11
Doyle

It DEFINATELY turned me off of ever wanting an M-14. I hated that thing.
Old November 18, 2011, 08:46 AM   #12
sundog

I first handled and shot the M16 in 1969 and subsequently used them for the next 26 years. Never really liked it at all. Give me an M1 or an M14 (which I also had the privilege to be issued at different times) or 03/03A3. Anyway, I broke down last year and bought a National Match Rock River for NRA High Power. It was a good choice. It is by far one of the easiest, most cost effective, and accurate rifles to use and maintain for that venue.

But, not to worry, I did NOT give up my other stuff that I have been using for years....
Old November 18, 2011, 08:56 AM   #13
BGutzman

The M16 platform just never worked as advertised for me. The military rounds self-destruct on materials they should be able to penetrate (light mud brick walls) and the round itself is not particularly devastating although civilians do have better round choices.

I like the ability to add and remove gadgets and toys but overall I think its just an acceptable weapon and not a great one... and they require a fair amount of maintenance.... Too much oil and it gums up, too little oil and the bolt wont go forward reliably..
Old November 18, 2011, 09:04 AM   #14
Ronbert

It may be a wider effect of getting tired of what you had to live with day in and day out.

For instance, I have no desire to own a nuclear submarine. (or the small arms that go with it)
Old November 18, 2011, 09:08 AM   #15
kraigwy

I don't get anything out of full auto, machine gun or rifle, but I do like military rifles, M16,s M14s, M1s, M1917,s 1903's M1 Carbines.

In my old age I've really gotten into the CMP GSM Vintage Military Rifle Games, and still dabble in High Power with ARs and M1As.

Same with pistols.

I just don't like shooting to make noise.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old November 18, 2011, 09:13 AM   #16
Boatme98

My military weapons are antiques now. The M16 and M60.
For myself, I've always had an affinity for wood and blue steel. All my rifles are. But I also own new, poly guns (pistols).
One thing I can't stand is the freaking rail on practically every pistol made. I'd sure like the choice to not have it on a new gun.
Old November 18, 2011, 09:13 AM   #17
BlueTrain

I was interested in them before I went into the army and even more interested after I got out. I didn't really do much with handguns until a lot later. Didn't have anything much to do with them in the service either even though I had a personally owned pistol in the arms room.

I never saw an M16 until I joined the National Guard (the D.C. National Guard, no less) about five years after getting out of the army. My son, on the other hand, a tanker when he was in, has no interest at all in guns. Tanks, yes, but not guns.
Buy War Bonds.
Old November 18, 2011, 10:21 AM   #18
meatgrinder42

I have some desire to build a clone of my service rifle, an M16A4 with the M203. But it's not too overwhelming right now, and after seeing the civilian AR fanboys/girls... Mil-spec this and I hate everything else but my AR that... phooey...

I have more interest in foreign military rifles, such as I'm a huge fan of the G3. I think it's an awesome feeling and looking gun. And the SVD, anything stamped Mauser, etc.
Old November 18, 2011, 10:48 AM   #19
jason_iowa

I always got the best sleep on subs. I think I would have made a good sub sailor.

M1 is a fun gun but the M14 is superior imo. They were both way before my time though.

+1 on the G3 the best battle rifle made imo.
Old November 18, 2011, 11:06 AM   #20
drail

Even though I qualified "expert" with an M 16 I never had much use for one. I don't like the caliber or the direct impingement design that dumps powder fouling directly into the action. The M 14 while being much heavier is a much superior rifle.
Old November 18, 2011, 01:01 PM   #21
checkmyswag

I think I better understand it now. Didn't and don't have any issues w the weapons. But I have no desire to shoot to make noise, did the tactical training while in service and don't feel a need to "play Army" and finally...the AR fans that live and breathe black rifle put me off.

That is all. As you were!
Old November 18, 2011, 01:14 PM   #22
chadio

No. Prior Navy... Have shot, and would enjoy owning:

1) M14
2) M60
3) M2
Old November 18, 2011, 01:24 PM   #23
Adamantium

I would say that having absolutely no need for a military style rifle keeps me from owning one more than having served in the Army.
Old November 18, 2011, 01:57 PM   #24
dmazur

Well, I'm assuming the question would normally apply to those who carried a military rifle in combat.

However, some were in a branch of the service that didn't issue small arms to very many (Navy).

So, I had a week of exposure to the M1 Garand, and a few days with the 1911 during basic training. I carried a 1911 a few times when I stood guard duty, but that was the extent of it.

Many years later, out of nostalgia, I got a M1 Garand. In the original caliber, not the NATO version with a .308 barrel.

I enjoy shooting it very much. Probably because I didn't to hump one over half of europe like my uncle did...
Old November 18, 2011, 01:57 PM   #25
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

I was there during the transition from M1 to M14 to M16 and now I have 2 M1's. I cannot afford a M1A but would grab one if I could. No interest in the M16 for a lot of reasons. Namely the powers that be took a perfectly good concept and improved all the good qualities right out of it. I have not forgiven them.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--