The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 1, 2011, 08:41 PM   #1
dondavis3

Mossberg 500 JIC Just In Case Shotgun

I know I'm a little late to show.

But I've just heard of the Mossberg 500 JIC Just In Case Shotgun .

It comes in different flavors.

1. the Mariner - which is stainless
2. and the plain black model.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these shotguns?

Old June 1, 2011, 08:56 PM   #2
bigghoss

not the JIC in particular but the 500 is a very good shotgun. I'm no fan of pistol grips without a buttstock though.
Old June 1, 2011, 09:17 PM   #3
dondavis3

It has a cylinder bore 18" barrel and the pistol grip is so that it will fit in the tube.

Your right with the pistol grip, it will be a hand full to shoot.

But it's an emergency gun only, kinda bury it in the yard type thing.

Tube filled with emergency rations type stuff.

One won't be shooting clays or anything much - if at all.

It's meant as a oh sh** rig as I understand it.

Old June 1, 2011, 09:55 PM   #4
idek

Personally, I'd opt for something with a folding stock before I'd use a pistol grip only gun. You still get the compact storage, but when in comes time to use it, you have the added stability of a stock.

If portability is a person's top priority, he may be better off sticking with a handgun than a shotgun that is hard to control.
Old June 1, 2011, 10:27 PM   #5
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
1. the Mariner - which is stainless
Actually it is a silver anodized aluminum receiver and Silver tone coating on a steel barrel.

But what it is... Simply a mossberg 500 with a PGO (pistol grip only) grip and 18.5 inch barrel all stuffed in a plastic tube. If you need the tube, you can make one out of PVC.

If you need the short overall length, than the PGO might be what you need. It can be purchased separate.

For a good handling, versatile and significantly more accurate gun, I prefer the standard stock shape. Even the AR shaped stock is less functional and versatile than a standard stock.

With either the PGO or AR type, you have to consciously relocate your right hand to manipulate the safety tab on the receiver. As well, you have to exert effort to operate the action release if it is needed.

With a standard, I can thumb my safety or simply twist my right hand under the stock and can operate the action release with my middle finger tip.

Brent
Old June 1, 2011, 10:32 PM   #6
Dr. Strangelove

Yeah, the pics on the Mossberg site of the folks hiking with a giant plastic tube full o' shotgun and survival gear is a bit much.

Unless you're hiking in 100yds from the car, I've never been in a situation where I would want all that crap strapped to me. Plus, when you need it, it's all packed away in a tube!

I can see the utility of it, and why folks would buy it, just not for active hiking and the like.
Old June 1, 2011, 10:39 PM   #7
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

To expound on Dr.'s post... If you feel the need to pack a shotgun on a hike, yacht etc... I wouldn't want the plastic tube.

A simple sling works fine and gun is far more ready to help you out if loaded and ready while on your back.

Brent.
Old June 2, 2011, 01:13 PM   #8
bigghoss

if you want compact storage the tube unscrews from the receiver. just be careful not to loose the follower. really though for a SHTF/JIC gun a rifle with a folding stock would probably be better. my AK47 with a wire side folder folds down to 27". I really don't buy into the mossberg JIC and PGO shotguns are not very useful, I know because I've tried. a handgun would have better range and accuracy than a PGO shotgun and be way smaller.
Old June 2, 2011, 01:26 PM   #9
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Also, If you want a real nice "bury it in the yard type thing. Tube filled with emergency rations type stuff."
You can build your water tight tube with 8" PVC pipe and fittings. If length isn't a concern, you can put a gun with standard sock in a longer storage tube. The 8" will have tons of space to actually hold gobs of ammo and rations.

If you prefer the shorter length in your bury tube, you could simply remove the stock before putting the gun inside.

Don't forget to pack a decent quantity of silica gel or equivalent before sealing it all up.

Brent
Old June 4, 2011, 05:13 PM   #10
Missionary

Greetings Going along the lines of portability. I had my wife make me a roll up Mossy 500 carry case. I remove the stock & barrel which slide into thier own section. One other section is dedicated for the long screwdriver. Insert the 3 Mossy 500 groups, add the screwdriver & roll it up. Tied together with two leather straps. I added a shoulder carry strap. Ends up as long as the barrel.. normally an 18" is what is attached. From stop to shot I can have it opperational in 3 minutes easy. This is how I pack it on 2 wheelers for desert walking.
Old June 7, 2011, 03:42 PM   #11
NightSleeper

I have one and I like it. It has limited uses though, because it comes with just a pistol grip, no stock. You can of course get a stock for it, or just buy a different shotgun that comes with one.

It is great in a home defense situation (in my opinion) due to ease of use and the fact that it's shorter. No, it's not as accurate as one with a stock at range but will do the job at indoor range like 10yrds or less. Obviously, it's no good to you in a prolonged shootout, because a few shots will cause your hand to ache.

My advice to people who are looking for a first shotgun: don't go for a stockless one like the Mossberg 500 JIC. Get use to one with a stock first. The JIC is just a nice little backup weapon for your gun safe in case the SHTF.
Old June 7, 2011, 04:19 PM   #12
oneounceload

I bought a 500 PGO eons ago when naive and uninformed as to its uselessness. Less than a box of shells later, a full length shoulder stock was installed and the PGO grip is sitting in a drawer somewhere.

These two variations are the same thing, just marketed differently.