The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 7, 2009, 03:54 PM   #1
Rahjerz

Savage shotgun cracked stock

My dbl bl fox has developed a horizontal crack in the stock on the right side about 3/4 in from the bottom. Can this be repaired?
Old February 7, 2009, 04:49 PM   #2
GreyOne

Yes, it most likely can. A good smith can clean the crack, fill it with acraglas or superglue as appropriate, and clamp it with rubber tubing. It also often helps to drill a guide hole across the crack, drive an epoxy coated brass rod through, and then cut the ends flush. This helps reinforce the wood, especially if it has gotten oil soaked and soft.
Old February 7, 2009, 05:22 PM   #3
Doyle

Does the crack open up/close as you put pressure on various places? If so, fix it yourself. Get some slow-set superglue, an air compressor (or can of compressed air), some acetone, and some woodworkers clamps. It may help to have an extra pair of hands.

Move the stock to make the crack open up. Pour acetone down in the crack and blow it out until it is all dried out. Now, open the crack up again and put as much superglue as you can into the crack. Use the compressed air to gently force as much glue into the crack as you can. Clamp the stock closed with the woodworkers clamps. Use a papertowel damped with acetone to wipe excess glue off before it sets.
Old February 7, 2009, 08:26 PM   #4
Rahjerz

The crack is in the pistolgrip of the stock only on the left side and is abt 1.75 inches long. Should I take the stock off, use a small wedge to open the crack and then glue it?
Old February 7, 2009, 08:41 PM   #5
Doyle

I would only use the wedge if I could put it in from the inside. Otherwise, it will put a dent in the finished side. If you do, do the other stuff I outlined.
Old February 7, 2009, 08:50 PM   #6
Bill DeShivs

Be very careful and wear safety glasses when usuing superglue in this manner. If the crack suddenly closes, the glue can squirt into your eyes. This happened to me, and I cam very close to losing my eye! Plus, superglue on your eyeball hurts like hell!
Old February 8, 2009, 01:03 PM   #7
Rahjerz

Thanks for the help guys.