The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 9, 2006, 09:47 AM   #1
Superhornet

Lee Powder Dippers..random Thoughts

Anyone else use these volumn loading dippers for hunting loads?? Loaded 300WSM using W760, 180 grain Accubond using these dippers and that load accounted for 5 whitetail, one elk and one buffaloe. Of course these loads are low side or middle of the road and not max, but they did do the trick. Both Accubonds found on far side of elk and buffaloe under skin, with massive lung damage. I did not do the shooting, but of course got to do the butchering and cutting of meat.....
Old January 9, 2006, 11:35 AM   #2
Crosshair

I wish they had more of the smaller dippers. I can't make a load between .7 and 1 because I don't have a .1 dipper. kinda frustrating at times.
Old January 9, 2006, 11:43 AM   #3
Mike Irwin
Staff

"I wish they had a smaller dipper..."

Make your own with some cut down .32 or .38 brass. Solder on a stiff piece of wire to serve as a handle.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old January 9, 2006, 12:47 PM   #4
T. O'Heir

Nope. They're not accurate enough. The charge can vary plus or minus a full grain.
Old January 9, 2006, 01:26 PM   #5
Mike Irwin
Staff

And as long as you're not up against the firewall, a grain variation isn't that big a deal...

Using stick powders in my RCBS Uniflow will often give me anywhere from half to a grain variation.

With ball powders, the variation factor is cut back significantly.

Old January 9, 2006, 01:35 PM   #6
Superhornet

T.O'HEIR---------I wish you would have told me that before those 5 whitetail, one elk and one buff were shot. Longest whitetail 220 yard rangefinder yardage...AND as an afterthought...won a new Glock 17 shooting 9mm handloads (dipper loads) at Fort Benning many years ago.
Old January 9, 2006, 01:46 PM   #7
Leftoverdj

Quote:
Nope. They're not accurate enough. The charge can vary plus or minus a full grain.
Not for those who bothered to read and follow the instructions.
Old January 9, 2006, 03:30 PM   #8
Crosshair

I'll have to try a .22 LR case. Thanks for the idea Mike Irwin.
Old January 9, 2006, 05:06 PM   #9
Olaf

I use the dippers often. I find that they work quite well - I get charges consistently within .1 to .2 grains, above or below the intended weight. They save much time, as well. I do not use them for all powders, such as flake powders (I've found that they are inaccurate for this)....but for extruded powders, they work very well.
Old January 11, 2006, 11:51 PM   #10
Bogie

One theory in benchrest is that density of the load can mean more than the actual weight of the charge.

And making the world's greatest bottle openers!
Old January 12, 2006, 12:25 AM   #11
Mike Irwin
Staff

"One theory in benchrest is that density of the load can mean more than the actual weight of the charge."

And I'd say it's a very valid theory.

Old January 12, 2006, 03:20 AM   #12
kcoop9999

Lee dippers

I've been loading for over 20+ yrs and as long as you ALWAYS OBEY SAFTEY RULES they work great. I load for close to 30 different cartridges and like my dipper set enough that I've about worn out the original box. The only round I Don't use them on is .17 Remington, because in that round, one full grain can be just enough to go from a mild load to just plain too hot! A precise scale is truly a must when working with that little devil! All others get loaded with the dippers once I've got a load worked up!!
Old January 12, 2006, 09:25 AM   #13
deadin

If you are that worried about a 10th of a grain (or even a whole grain) in a rifle load, you must already have a scale or you wouldn't know that the dippers aren't precision instruments. Get a dripper and weigh out each load.
If you are working around maximum loads or trying for super accuracy loads, you should be doing this anyway.

Dean
Old January 17, 2006, 05:41 AM   #14
shero

yep, i use them and like em, handy easy and safe (I always follow the instructions)

jimmy
Old January 17, 2006, 08:58 AM   #15
BIGJACK

When i am loading for precision shooting i use the next smallest dipper and top the charge off on the scales. I hardly ever use the powder measure any more-I have found the dippers are faster and a little more consistent.

I wound up with a set of the dippers in about 1979 when I bought a rifle and a bunch of reloading equipment and ammo at an estate sale. I never used them for a long time but when I did decide to try them out for hunting loads for 30-06, 7mm mag and .243 I checked the consistency with my balance and found that the variation was about 1-1.2 % or about 0.5grs, This was with the 230 dipper which is next to the biggest in my set. This is probaly a lot closer than standard factory ammo.