The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old December 3, 2008, 05:28 PM   #1
M1911

C&R FFL Compliance inspections?

It appears that the ATF in MA is starting a round of compliance inspections of C&R FFL holders: http://northeastshooters.com/vbullet...ad.php?t=49324. At least five forum members on that site have received inspection notices in the past week.

It was my impression that in the past such inspections were very, very rare. Is this happening in other states? Or does the SAIC of the Boston office of the ATF just have a burr under his saddle?
Old December 4, 2008, 11:32 AM   #2
Technosavant

I haven't heard anything from them around here, so either that particular office got a burr under its saddle or they're rolling it out slowly.

Inspections are rather rare; I've only even heard of one or two of them (and they were pretty simple things from all accounts). I don't even know that anybody is certain about what triggers an inspection of a 03 FFL- I speculate that high numbers of dispositions on a renewal application might do so, but I'm not sure what else might.

We 03 FFLs are a really calm bunch and they pretty well know it. Inspections are generally a waste of time for all involved.
Old December 4, 2008, 02:24 PM   #3
M1911

Quote:
Inspections are rather rare; I've only even heard of one or two of them
Which is why 5+ 03 FFLs in MA getting notified of inspections within a couple days makes me wonder what the heck is going on.
Old December 5, 2008, 04:01 PM   #4
M1911

One odd thing that is being reported by those who have been inspected: at the end of the inspection, the ATF agent asks them if they have any animals and hidden rooms in their house.

Any idea why they would be asking those questions?
Old December 5, 2008, 07:44 PM   #5
Technosavant

That's just bizarre. Are they worried about C&R FFLs running puppy mills out of secret basement rooms?
Old December 5, 2008, 07:49 PM   #6
alloy

maybe they are looking for something specific?
Old December 5, 2008, 08:27 PM   #7
M1911

Quote:
That's just bizarre. Are they worried about C&R FFLs running puppy mills out of secret basement rooms?
Seems to me that they are asking for information that might be useful in a raid -- "any dogs that need to be shot? Any hidden rooms to find?"

Quote:
maybe they are looking for something specific?
So why ask the same two questions of several different 03 FFLs, all at the end of the interview? Do they suspect the same specific thing of each of these individuals? And if so, what is that specific thing? That they all have 2 german sheperds and a hidden cache of teletubby dolls?
Old December 5, 2008, 09:07 PM   #8
alloy

uhh no...what i meant was more like gambling, cock fighting, and dog fighting. especially in the vicinity of firearms or some specific firearms dealer they would like to talk to if they knew who he was. gets mo better if a bird or dog crossed a state line i think? german shepherds and hidden rooms full of teletubbies are pretty legal down here in the south last time i checked dont think thats what they were lookin for.

Last edited by alloy; December 5, 2008 at 10:08 PM.