The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 5, 2007, 05:34 AM   #1
king.460

Blue Tongue disease in Illinois

This dreaded game disease is hammering the Illinois whitetail population. I had heard about the problem in southern Illinois but a buddy returned from Pike Co. yesterday and reported a major hit there as well. Said there was a stench wherever he scouted or hunted in the woods and found seven carcasses on Sunday before opening day on Monday. This is terrible and won't get better until several hard freezes.
Old October 5, 2007, 11:08 AM   #2
FrontSight

dumb question but what is that? first i've heard of it, unless it's the same disease that's hitting new jersey?
Old October 5, 2007, 07:14 PM   #3
hpg

It's all over us here in Kentucky as well. It's bad, real bad here.......hpg
Old October 5, 2007, 09:36 PM   #4
H&R088

I've never heard of it either.
Old October 5, 2007, 10:25 PM   #5
tarheelshooter

This is a common problem in the southeast.We have had three outbreaks in the past seven years and it always happens right before the season starts.I believe blue tongue is another name for hemmhoragic disease and is caused by biting flies.The flies spread this through the deer herd but the deer don't pass it between themselves.That is why the problem goes away after cooler weather.Some deer survive it after being infected but not many.Don,t worry it won't wipe out a whole herd,but it can put a major dent in your population for a few years.If you aren,t seeing as many deer as you are accustomed to and suspect that you may have an outbreak,look around water supplies for carcasses and for extremely lethargic deer.My favorite hunting spot got hit again this year but is not as bad as several years ago.Hope for cooler weather.
Old October 6, 2007, 01:33 PM   #6
hpg

here's a link on it.......hpg

http://fw.ky.gov/newsrelease.asp?nid...05C122C581C646
Old October 6, 2007, 09:37 PM   #7
BIGR

Yea its hitting the deer in my area hard this year. We don't have many to spare either.
Old October 6, 2007, 10:41 PM   #8
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Not to argue with the label "blue tongue", but that has always been associated with sheep, in the Southwest, and led to the demise of the desert bighorn in Texas. Some sort of long-lived bug that lives on/in the ground for many, many years. It apparently has died out after some sixty years, and the bighorn restoration projects are finally becoming successful.

Art