The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 30, 2013, 08:52 AM   #1
Rem308

WV Early Season Doe Hunt (Pics & Video Added)

I like that WV offers the Early Antlerless Only Deer hunt and I was glad to see that Monroe County was one of the select counties. Not only can people help with the high ratio of does to bucks but also it gives a great opportunity to put meat in the freezer.
I decided that I would attempt to film my own hunt, so I setup watching a field and after daylight several does were feeding in the wood edge. I could see a few smaller deer, a button buck, and then I picked a good sized doe that ended up giving me a good broadside shot. I had to set the camera up and get it ready, then steady off my pack for a shot. I ranged this at 248 yards. Squeezed the trigger and hit the doe hard w/ my Rem 700 chambered in .30-06. She sort of backed up and fell about 10 feet from where the shot was, but due to some trees the fall itself wasn't completely in frame.
I had technical difficulties with the camera, the entire audio was terrible and I had to just mute that and add annotations. I'm aggravated about that, but that's how it goes. Not sure if I want to save up the $$ and buy a new camera or not...expen$ive hobby!

As I was filming the 'after-the-shot' portion, the does came back into the field and I ended up running them off when I went to retrieve the deer. The bullet went through the shoulder and took out the top of the heart. The doe was a good sized one and provided a lot of good meat.

After all the work was done, I had some of the tenderloins marinading and I had to treat myself to Dairy Queen again for lunch and watching some people fishing.

And I had to share the finished product, fresh honey-glazed-bacon-wrapped tenderloins off the grill. Don't let my pup's snarl fool you, they were good!

Again, I am very pleased that WV offers this hunt as I was able to get out and enjoy a little early season hunting.

Here is the finished video, uploading to Youtube caused me to lose some quality. Like I said, technical difficulties caused the audio to be terrible so it is a best-effort attempt.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgRcaqfZRuo