The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old October 17, 2012, 10:20 AM   #1
Nathan

Another stupid help me pick my next gun ???

, but I need help.

Glock 23 - I need one because I really need to own and fully experience Glocks. This maybe to bash them of to fall in love. A23 because I like the feel and to love a Glock, you have to CCW it, at least some. I'm thinking a pre-scratched version with night sights. If they are burnt out, I'll send 'em in for new tubes.

Ruger SA 45 LC/45 ACP - To own a beautiful plow handle blue or blue/case colored Ruger. And another platform for my 45 loads.

EO Tech - My AR needs a Red Dot bad! I have a 1-4 now, but I need options!

Uberti 45 LC - Beautiful cowboy gun, but may want to go 44-40 or 38-40 to eliminate possible round mixing. Round mixing is not a big issue. At my house Ruger only 45 Colt loads go in Starline brass only.

SA XDs - I have enough CCW guns, but this seems like a nice piece of technology to own. I would probably add it too my CCW arsenal, but not sure why.

S&W 13/65 3" - I preach this gun to people as the great CCW, but I do not own one. It would be fun to get an older 13, go through it, ceracote it and find so nice leather/cool wood for it. Not sure I want another project.

Pink Magpul MOE AR15 - I could dive into my lightweight pink AR project for the girls, but I won't really be able to complete it. That said, for under $300, I could have a lot of fun getting started! Anyone know any good $75 lowers?

Any other $500ish ideas I might need?
Old October 17, 2012, 10:32 AM   #2
KMAX

Buy the Ruger 45 convertible. It is all you need from now on.

Seriously though, I just bought one and I have really been enjoying it. Yet another reason to reload.

I am not into Glocks, but whatever floats your boat. I have actually considered one though, but would more likely go for an XD.

I'm not old. I'm CLASSIC!
Old October 17, 2012, 10:36 AM   #3
Woody55

I have a Glock 23. I don't know why. I don't carry it - I have a Glock 27 for that. It isn't as accurate as other pistols I have, but it is more accurate than I can shoot. And I like the night sights. Only things I've ever shot with it are a cotton mouth snake, a feral hog and an armadillo ravaging my wife's flower bed. Funny thing is it took three shots for the armadillo to stop moving and only one shot for the hog.

I have an EOTECH on an AR-15. I LOVE red dot sights. If it weren't for the price of the sight and mount, I'd probably have bought an Aim Point instead because the round profile lets you put a filter on it that makes it easier to use in bright sunlight.
Old October 18, 2012, 10:55 AM   #4
stu925

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan
Ruger SA 45 LC/45 ACP - To own a beautiful plow handle blue or blue/case colored Ruger. And another platform for my 45 loads.
This one! You can't possibly go wrong with another .45 and a Ruger will last forever. If I were to go with the Uberti I'd opt for the .44-40 as I've always liked the cartridge (although I prefer the .45 Colt) and don't have one.

Stu
Old October 18, 2012, 11:04 AM   #5
Tactical Jackalope

Also had an EOTECH on my AR...Sold it and went to iron sights again.

As for those choices?

Hell...make them a wish list and get them all with time. Better than just pretending you just want one of them.
Old October 18, 2012, 11:20 AM   #6
BLUETIP

ruger 45 colt. sold a convertible and have been kicking myself daily.
Old October 18, 2012, 03:38 PM   #7
TheFlash

Definitely go with the convertible Ruger 45LC!

I just recently bought one of the stainless Flattop convertibles 45LC/45ACP with the ivory polymer grips.
Love it!!!

And, it makes a nice companion SA revolver with my 45LC New Model Vaquero...

Regards,
Mike
Old October 18, 2012, 03:46 PM   #8
sgms

If you decide to go fun gun, the Uberti 1873 cattleman in .44-40 is a great selection. Got one with a 4-5" barrel and eventually added the 1873 carbine in .44-40 great way to spend a day busting cans.
The carbine is on the high side price wise, I got lucky and found a little shot used one, worth looking for if you want the long gun to.
Old October 18, 2012, 03:51 PM   #9
lee n. field

Quote:
S&W 13/65 3" - I preach this gun to people as the great CCW, but I do not own one. It would be fun to get an older 13, go through it, ceracote it and find so nice leather/cool wood for it. Not sure I want another project.
If you've got one available, grab it.

3" round butt K-frame .357 sounds just about perfect to me.

I just about had one, some years back.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old October 19, 2012, 12:02 AM   #10
TennJed

Ruger 45colt/45acp