The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 5, 2010, 11:59 PM   #1
ReserveCop

Flashlight for Everyday Carry ?

Before I retired as a reserve cop, I used to carry a small flashlight on my person when I was off-duty. It came in handy many times.

I'm getting ready to "trade in" my old flashlight for a new 2010-model of an new and improved everyday carry flashlight.

I was wondering if anyone can suggest a flashlight that would work for me as any everyday flashlight (for under $100 if possible and a flashlight that I can clip to my pocket)?

Last edited by ReserveCop; May 6, 2010 at 12:04 AM.
Old May 6, 2010, 12:43 AM   #2
stephen426

I have a Surefire Backup that is a great everyday carry, but it is above your $100 price point. It has a click on/click off tail cap and highbeam (80 lumens) and low beam (5 lumens). It runs off a single Lithium CR123 and it gets a decent run time since it is a LED. Overall dimensions are very small and it is a very well built light. It is a bit pricey at $139, but they have a life time warranty on it.

There are a ton of bright compact LED lights on the market today. I think there is actually a flashlight forum. I have found some decent lights on Battery Junction. You have to take their lumen output ratings with a grain of salt. Their prices aren't bad though. Good luck!

I found a flashlight forum... http://www.flashlight-forums.com/

Last edited by stephen426; May 6, 2010 at 01:01 AM.
Old May 6, 2010, 01:27 AM   #3
FatPants

I carry a cheapo in my pocket all the time. I tend to lose/break things, so it works for me.
Ive currently got this guy:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.19187

I filed the bezel down flat because it was eating holes through my pants pockets, but its been great. Very bright, seems durable enough. Ive had it close to a year now, I think I got my $17 worth out of it.
Old May 6, 2010, 06:09 AM   #4
KChen986

I splurged $150 and bought a Surefire E2D defender. Low 5 lumen output, brilliant 200 high output. IIRC 2 hour run time on high, something like 70 hours on low.

It has been extremely handy and I use it all the time, not to mention I can use the E2d to blind someone and run away if need be.
Old May 6, 2010, 09:53 AM   #5
ClydeFrog

My picks...

I'd suggest the Sportsman's Guide tactical light, www.sportsmansguide.com . It sells for around $45-49.00 comes with a home/vehicle recharger, has a strobe function and a super bright LED 240lum white light. .
S&W puts out a new Military and Police model flashlight with a strobe feature and about 160lum. It retails for around $90.00.

You can also see a few good brands at www.galls.com www.qmuniforms.com www.blackhawk.com .

CF
Old May 6, 2010, 09:58 AM   #6
KMO

As a retired cop, I'm sure you remember when most officers used to carry Mag-Lite flashlights as a standard piece of equipment. They've been surpassed by the more popular rechargeable lights used by LE today, but Mag-Lite does offer a pretty cool little LED model now. It looks just like the old ones, but much brighter.
Old May 6, 2010, 10:01 AM   #7
Neruda

I recently bought a Fenix Tk11 which operates on two lithium C123 batteries or one rechargeable li-ion. Max power on my model is, I think, 240 lumens -although the latest uses a slightly more powerful LED. Cost in the USA is about $75
Fenix is a Chinese company - but the quality and reputation seem very good - so far. Their web page: http://www.fenixlight.com/
Old May 6, 2010, 11:39 AM   #8
Wagonman

I just bought the new Mag-lite LED 35 bucks and crazy bright. 3AAA batteries.

Does Surefire Make a 3AAA mini light?
Old May 6, 2010, 12:12 PM   #9
comn-cents

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=457063
Old May 6, 2010, 09:41 PM   #10
sylathnie

Check out www.candlepowerforums.com if you really want some info.

I have some Quarks and some Fenix lights and both work great. Both can be had at www.4sevens.com (Weird name but very good shop.)

I'm currently carrying a tactical 123-2 Quark. It's a very nice light and I have a medium level for daily use programmed as the mode with the head tightened. If I loosen the head slightly it jumps to a pretty crazy high brightness.

Oh, hide your wallet from yourself before you go over there.

<Stolen from another fellow flashaholic.>
Old May 6, 2010, 09:48 PM   #11
VHinch

My EDC light is a Streamlight TLR-2, but you can't go wrong with anything in the Surefire line either.
Old May 6, 2010, 10:27 PM   #12
Onward Allusion

Like I'd said in another forum

Rayovac ROUGHNECK Metal Flashlight, LED, Hi @ 200 Lumens, Low @ 70 Lumens, Strobe effect, uses AAA, AND has sharp bevels - Under $30 & comes with batteries

Quote:
ReserveCop
Flashlight for Everyday Carry ?

Before I retired as a reserve cop, I used to carry a small flashlight on my person when I was off-duty. It came in handy many times.

I'm getting ready to "trade in" my old flashlight for a new 2010-model of an new and improved everyday carry flashlight.

I was wondering if anyone can suggest a flashlight that would work for me as any everyday flashlight (for under $100 if possible and a flashlight that I can clip to my pocket)?
Old May 7, 2010, 06:39 AM   #13
1goodshot

http://www.malkoffdevices.com/
Top of the line stuff. Ive beat the crap out of my light and it still works.
Old May 8, 2010, 08:58 AM   #14
shooter_john

Since my Surefire E2D was stolen, I now carry a Pelican PM6 LED... I will never carry a $100+ flashlight again. If you don't mind the absence of a pocket clip, Academy Sports carries a very nice Brinkman pocket sized LED for $15. It works GREAT for vehicle searches etc, and has a two hour run time on 1 AA battery.
Old May 8, 2010, 01:51 PM   #15
WESHOOT2

wish I were as bright

I have a small 'combat' lithium-powered Streamlight (under $70), and one with a plastic body that was under $40.

Next to my bed, however, is a 4-D-Cell Maglite, perfect (when utilized correctly) as a non-lethal (hopefully) bashing tool; ay?
Old May 8, 2010, 02:08 PM   #16
Pilot

I also use a Pelican PM6 LED, but also have a Surefire A2 Aviator for my flightbag.
Old May 10, 2010, 02:45 AM   #17
hknut

I daily carry one of 2 different models of the Surefire line. Both are over the $100 price point you set. Model 1 is a E2D Defender and the other is a L1 Digital Lumamax. I love the L1 for the high and low beam option. And being a led light it runs forever on a set of batteries. Good luck.

Walk softly and carry a big SIG.
Old May 13, 2010, 02:10 PM   #18
Rinspeed

Surefire 6P with a Malkoff M60L drop in is as good as you're going to get in my opinion.
Old May 25, 2010, 10:50 PM   #19
Caboclo

Coleman Cree LED, $25 at Walmart. I compared this to my Surefire G2; the Coleman's light was slightly yellower than the G2, but brightness and corona size were identical. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-Cr...3-AAA/10196618
Old May 25, 2010, 10:54 PM   #20
popeyespappy

I just picked up a Fenix PD30r4 a couple of weeks ago and am loving it. Rated at up to 265 Lumens, .84" diameter, 5.5" length and a tail switch. $52 delivered from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product
Old May 25, 2010, 11:32 PM   #21
SIGSHR

I carry a MiniMaglite 2 AA cell model. Plenty bright, doesn't take odd batteries
and they usually sell for $10 or so. I have 4 in fact. Have the nylon flap holsters, another $10 or so-more secure than a clip IMHO. Had my initials engraved on them as well.
Old May 25, 2010, 11:43 PM   #22
Bill DeShivs

My Delights run on regular batteries, are insanely bright, focusable, and come with a sheath. 1 "AA" models an 3 "AAA" models. They are inexpensive, too.
Old May 26, 2010, 12:07 AM   #23
ScottRiqui

I use a Surefire G2. Very bright, and 123A batteries aren't "weird" for me because I also have some camera equipment and other things around the house that use them.

They're about $35 and extremely rugged. The only drawback for me is that they don't have an on/off switch - you twist the butt to turn it on or off, or press the end of the butt in for momentary use.

I also have a little belt holster for it, and the holster can slide off of its belt mount and slide onto a standard rail for on-gun use, if that feature appeals to you.
Old May 26, 2010, 02:48 AM   #24
Ridge_Runner_5

I keep a Surefire G2L in a holster on my reaction side.
Old May 26, 2010, 08:49 AM   #25
Mike Irwin
Staff

Friend of mine gave me a Spider Fire X-03 LED programmable, the recharger, and three rechargeable batteries for my birthday recently.

VERY bright, VERY focused LED beam, and depending on how many times and how fast you click the end cap switch, you get full power, half power, and quarter power (my estimates) beams, a full-power rapid strobe (for giving attackers seizures?) and a full-power SOS signal.

Construction on the unit is absolutely excellent. It is a little bigger than my Surefire 6P, but most of that seems to be in the electronics in the switch cap needed to alternate the functions.

One nice thing about the X-03 is that even though it uses rechargeable batteries, it can still, in a pinch, use C123 cells.

The best part is the price. From what I've seen, the Spiderfire is about 1/3rd the cost of the Surefire 6P.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.

Tags
edc flashlight , everyday carry flashlight , flashlight , tactical flashlight