The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 5, 2006, 07:41 AM   #1
Dennis Rogers

Lazer sights

Hi all. I need some opinions here. What are the pros & con of lazer sights?
What are the best brands? Best type of acctavation switch? Before I dump a bunch of coin I hope someone can help.
Thanks
Dennis
Old December 5, 2006, 02:05 PM   #2
Samurai

The pros are that they put a little dot on the place where the bullet is going to go.

The cons are that the dot is often hard to see, that the lasers are bulky, difficult to get turned on, difficult to calibrate, require batteries, often require cutting into your gun in order to mount, and for the aspiring marksman, lasers tend to develop bad shooting habits and poor sight-alignment. Oh, and one more thing... Lasers cost ALOT of money.

For me, the cons outweigh the pros. I don't have any. That said, look at the Crimson Trace laser grips. They're BLOODY EXPENSIVE, but they are supposed to work pretty well. They also don't require cutting your pistol to properly mount.

- Why is it that we fire 1,000 rounds and know that we need more practice, but yet we punch a bag 10 times and think we know how to fight?

- When in doubt, train, train, train...
Old December 5, 2006, 02:59 PM   #3
Excalibur

I have lasers on a couple of pistols. I do not think they are 'bloody expensive'. Crimson Trace grips can be had just about anywhere for <$250. I have them on my Defender and they work great.

I also have a TLR-2 mounted to another and it is very easy to turn on. Just bump the switch as you reach for the trigger. Natural placement makes it very easy and I like having the built in flashlight.
Old December 5, 2006, 03:14 PM   #4
Samurai

I'm glad you're a "man with the means," Excalibur. Me, I'm just a poor, starving attorney, and I can't afford those sorts of toys!

- Why is it that we fire 1,000 rounds and know that we need more practice, but yet we punch a bag 10 times and think we know how to fight?

- When in doubt, train, train, train...
Old December 6, 2006, 02:28 AM   #5
raymond-

laser recommendations better answered if one knew the platform you've
selected to host the laser....and for what task(s) eg pistol vs dark dark,
or under higher ambient light conditions, or IR....rifle... cool factor, etc
Old December 6, 2006, 07:15 PM   #6
Dennis Rogers

Laser sights

Thanks for the input. I have a Colt officers lightweight in .45 that I carry for personal protection day and night. I like the idea of the laser sight as an idiot proof aiming device in the heat of having to remove it from the holster.
(God forbid I would ever have to) but thats my reasoning and circumstance. I see Crimson Trace has two types of actuation buttons, which is more desirable/ practical? Thanks for the help here.
Old December 6, 2006, 07:43 PM   #7
oldbillthundercheif

Stay away from those "laserlyte" cheapie-jobs. They shift point of aim about 2" for every 10 rounds fired (.22lr, no less...).

I'm saving up for one of those retarded-bright green-beam contraptions. Argh... another few hundred down the tubes but you get what you pay for.
Old December 12, 2006, 06:32 PM   #8
firemedic1975

"Laser sights are not half bad. As long as you understand they are auxillary sights and not a substitue for you irons." Ken Hackathorn.
You HAVE to stand for something or you WILL fall for anything!!! American by birth SOUTHERN by the Grace of God!!! Colt Double Eagle .45, Kimber Stainless Ultra Carry II .45, Sig 226 9mm, Ruger G100 .357 mag, S&W Airweight .38+p, Glock 23, Berretta Neo .22, (2) Yugo SKS's, 12 gauge Winchester 3 in, Marlin 30-30, H&K G-3 (91)
Old December 25, 2006, 07:15 AM   #9
BigV

Quote:
Thanks for the input. I have a Colt officers lightweight in .45 that I carry for personal protection day and night. I like the idea of the laser sight as an idiot proof aiming device in the heat of having to remove it from the holster.
(God forbid I would ever have to) but thats my reasoning and circumstance. I see Crimson Trace has two types of actuation buttons, which is more desirable/ practical? Thanks for the help here.
Crimson Trace make a great product. I have them on my Kimber Eclipse. The first set I purchased has the activation buttons on the sides of the grips. They were (in my opinion) difficult to activate. I sold them and purchased a new pair with the activation button on the front of the grips. This seemed more natural and made it easier to activate the laser by using a more natural grip. The laser is great for low light/no light situations. During bright daylight hours it is difficult to nearly impossible to see the laser.
With CT laser grips there is no modifications needed for you weapon and the laser is small and compact. I used the same OTW holster after the laser was put on.
As stated earlier, laser tend to develop bad shooting habits and poor sight-alignment, so practice without the laser and use it as a tool to help during certain situations.
Old December 25, 2006, 07:43 AM   #10
NCHornet

Lazer sights can be quite useful in the right conditions, but you really get what you pay for. You can get a LS for $59.95, these are the tubes that hang on the bottom of the frame and everytime you shoot the gun they are knocked out of adjustment. I have a Baretta 92F Italian made, 10 years ago I bought the very best lazer sight on the market, just shy of $500, they have come down a lot since then. It is a rectangular box device that mounts solidly to the frame and also to the trigger guard, after hundreds and hundreds of rounds it has never lost it's point of aim. The negative is you can't find a holster to fit this type of device so one has to be custom made. Now we have the type that replace the guide rod on pistols and also the crimson trace which are in the grip. I have not shot these so I will leave the comments to those that have. Make sure you get a true daylight lazer, I have seen many that claim to be day light lazers but you have to wear yellow shooting glasses to see it, no thanks. I myself would want a on off switch and not grip activated, there are many situations where using a lazer could not be smart, and with the grip type they are on whenever your hand is on the grip. I am just now getting back into guns after 10 years and if you would like to know the maker of my sight I would be happy to dig it out of the safe and see.
Merry Christmas.
Old December 25, 2006, 09:01 AM   #11
BigV

Quote:
I myself would want a on off switch and not grip activated, there are many situations where using a lazer could not be smart, and with the grip type they are on whenever your hand is on the grip.
Actually CT laser grips have an on/off switch recessed in the bottom portion of the grips. The CT grips must be squeezed to activate the activation button. A slight loosening of the grip and the laser button not activated. It is easy to use the weapon with or without the laser simply by loosing your grip just slightly. As far as accuracy goes with CT lasers, the projectile goes where the red dot is pointed. I have found no difference in accuracy from 5 feet to 25 feet. They are also adjustable for windage and elevation so you can adjust the laser to shoot exactly where your point of aim is using your steel sights. I have heard that some manufactures are make a "green" laser, but batter power is adversely affected with the green laser. I have had the same batteries in my CT grips now for almost 2 years and they are fine. I shoot between 300 to 500 rounds weekly using this laser for about 30 to 40 % of the shots fired. CT was offering free replacement batteries for life, I don’t know if they still are.
Old December 25, 2006, 11:03 AM   #12
NCHornet

BigV,
Thanks for clearing that up, I wasn't aware of the on/off switch. As far as accuracy you need to zero in the lazer the same as you would a scope. You can't expect the bullet to go where the red dot is at 15 yards and at 45 yards. I usually zereo it in for 15 yards, as I don't usually do much serious shooting past that distance.
Old December 25, 2006, 01:25 PM   #13
BigV

I zeroed mine at 15 feet. When shooting drills, I don’t really see a difference between 5 and 25 feet. Perhaps an inch one way or the other, but no noticeable difference between those distances.
Old December 26, 2006, 04:39 PM   #14
NCHornet

You won't notice to much drop at those distances, but go out to 75 ft and there will be a big difference! Although I believe zereoing a defensive weapon for anything more than 10-15 yards is useless. The further the BG is from you the harder it is to justify a good shoot. Just my .02
Old December 26, 2006, 06:26 PM   #15
bubbygator

I've had 7 Crimson Trace & 1 LaserMax over the last few years, all except one on various SD guns. Sold a life-long knife collection & had enough $$ to experiment. I still have CT's on BHP, S&W-442, & Ruger MK-2. Everything you hear about the quality and performance of CT's is correct; they are a choice accessory - well designed to use in defending your life.

They have some additional uses in training (or re-training) for accuracy, and in helping people with sight deficiencies. I had stopped shooting about 15 years ago due to poor eyesight - I could point-shoot OK for SD, but couldn't focus for range practice. Then about 5 years ago I discovered CT. Now I'm back to shooting; CT really builds confidence. I became totally convinced when I shot my BHP at 10 yards - 18 quick shots in a 5" group... shooting from my hip. Targeting for multiple targets is really fast too.

Your mileage may vary - some people just don't like 'em.
Old December 27, 2006, 12:08 PM   #16
OBIWAN

Crimson Trace is good to go - but not all have the on-off switch

Lasers in general are an asset for training as well as shooting in "unconventional positions"

Watching that dot wobble and working to correct it will pay huge dividends in all your shooting...not just the laser equipped weapon.

It is a great addition to your dry fire practice...watch the dot move when you squeeze the trigger!

What they will not do is make up for poor shooting skills

People that buy them so they "cannot miss" are in for a rude awakening

If your grip/stance is weak...all the laser will do is point out just how bad your mechanics are