The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Closed Thread

Old March 13, 2013, 01:36 PM   #51
eldermike

I did not say it was his fault, I said: (LGS) has become of no use to me in this time we are now in. LGS sells everything on the truck to a bunch of folks that don't work I assume because they are always there when the truck comes in.
Old March 13, 2013, 02:53 PM   #52
serf 'rett

Quote:
(LGS) has become of no use to me
Now that comment is one I can understand OldMike (assuming you are using elder in the sense of older and wiser instead of an office holder in the local religious group).

When I first started reloading, the LGS' were pretty much worthless when it came to the bullets and overpriced on the few primers and powders they stocked. None of them had 9mm or 40S&W bullets - the common idea being "just buy the loaded ammo because you can't save any money reloading those calibers."

Last edited by serf 'rett; March 13, 2013 at 03:36 PM.
Old March 13, 2013, 03:06 PM   #53
ScottRiqui

My LGS has never had good prices on powder or cast bullets - for the bullets, basically double Missouri Bullet's prices, and you'd be in the ballpark. I'm glad that other posters here turned me onto Powder Valley, Missouri Bullets and several other online vendors, because at first, I thought the LGS prices were typical.

Now, I'll go there and pay the premium for something I have to have *today*, but other than that, I try to get everything I can online.
Old March 13, 2013, 03:26 PM   #54
5 STRING

"Now, I'll go there and pay the premium for something I have to have *today*, but other than that, I try to get everything I can online. "

The problem is......There ain't nothin' online to get......I just managed to find a few SPP and a couple of pounds of powder this morning at my LGS. My sales person told me this morning "we got a shippment of powder in yesterday afternoon" .... The only thing that they had left in stock 24 hours later was a few 1 lb jugs of Unique, so I grabbed my "limit" of that which was (2) per customer....

Old March 13, 2013, 04:23 PM   #55
thump_rrr

I know that we don't have the same political climate in Canada but we in essence have the same supply chain.
In December after Sandy Hook I went to my shooting club that also sells reloading components and purchased 5,000 Small Pistol Primers which were on special for $26.00/k when you purchased 5,000.
I also purchased 5,000 Small Rifle Primers at the regular price since they were not on special.
I bought an 8lb jug of Varget for $200.00 which is the regular price and I ordered an 8lb jug of IMR XBR(8208) which I received this Tuesday for $209.00 which is also the regular price.

I didn't buy any pistol bullets since my club usually puts them on special during an upcoming competition and they have pallettes full of both 9mm and .45ACP.

I went to another LGS because my club doesn't sell rifle bullets and found a 500 pack of .30cal 168gr SMK's and a 500 pack of .30cal 180gr SMK's.
I wanted to buy both but they had 11 pmags on the shelf and I didn't want to break my budget so I only bought the 168gr.

I needed the Pmags for the 2 new AR's I bought both at regular prices.

What was the point of all this?
If something is for sale and someone is willing to pay the asking price it is not hoarding.
I did not go into the store and with 10 other people behind me empty the shelves.
If I wanted to buy 100,000 primers and they were there and available I see nothing wrong with it.
I am not rich and I do need to watch my money and I have sacrificed in other areas to buy enough reloading components to hold me over wherever I can.

I don't have enough 55gr .223 projectiles but I chose not to purchase LC bullets for $132.00/1,000 a few weeks ago and now they are selling the same bullets for $160.00/1,000.
These are the same bullets I was buying for $90.00 last year.
I only have myself to blame.

I have only been shooting for a little over 2 years now so I haven't had a chance to stock up over many years as others have.
I will be doing this when things get back to normal.
Old March 13, 2013, 05:13 PM   #56
breakingcontact

Re: LGS = worthless to the non-hoarding non-prepping public

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldermike View Post
I have made a personal decision to waste no more gas and time on the LGS's and resigned myself to hazmat fees as part of the overall costs of shooting. As a shooter these type stores have become of no use to me. If I were a hoarder/prepper then perhaps they would present me with some value.

I will continue my new ways on a permanent basis. I reserve the right to change my mind if: I ever see an actual zombie or my information gets low enough to convince me that there is an actual crisis.
I will go to one LGS I like. Nice owner, often does have things I'd like to buy. But I don't have time, energy or gas money to drive all over looking at multiple shops for something to buy.
Old March 13, 2013, 06:30 PM   #57
rogn

I may be a bit out of bounds, but I tire of the gripeing about component pricing. I have 1 question for the gripers---How much could you sell that pound of powder or the 1K primers for????? AND SHOW ANY PROFIT> Le tme know.
Old March 13, 2013, 06:38 PM   #58
reynolds357

If you were a hoarder, you could be a shooter whenever you want; not merely whenever you can find stuff to shoot.
Old March 13, 2013, 08:07 PM   #59
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Having to go without for a time

In trying not to be to transparent on this post.
In this local area. Shortages were seen as far back as early last summer. Everytime the shelves went empty and were filled again a week later. There was an immediate .5 or .7% increase in product price. I speculate many like me who grew tired of that trend. (Short term shortages here and there and continuous price increases.) I chose at the time on my next re-orderings to intentionally buy larger quantity's in hopes to insulate myself from ever increasing higher prices and availability interruptions. I never once considered, "I was intentionally hording." I thought it was a smart thing to do. Those who didn't, couldn't, or never thought too. You may find yourself in a short term predicament. I honestly feel your pain as I went through the same circumstance myself once. (having to go without for a time)

S/S
Old March 13, 2013, 08:25 PM   #60
zxcvbob

The only ones to really be angry at are
  1. Yourself (and myself) if you had an opportunity to buy when stuff was plentiful and you didn't do it.
  2. The guys who camp out at the LGS's and Walmart so they can buy the entire stock as soon as (or before) it hits the shelves without leaving any at all for the next guy. Then they "flip" it on Gunbroker at outrageous prices. Then they do it again tomorrow. OTOH, they are taking a risk that the price will collapse while they are holding a bunch of product. (we can hope)
Old March 13, 2013, 08:37 PM   #61
reynolds357

You do know Wal Mart will order you whatever you want? If you want to put in an order for $5k of stuff, you will be the one with a pallet of ammo to keep or flip on gun broker.
Old March 13, 2013, 08:46 PM   #62
zxcvbob

Quote:
You do know Wal Mart will order you whatever you want?
I did not know that! I will have to check with them about ordering 5000 CCI MiniMags (.22LR) or 10000 if the price is good. I have enough .22 already that I can wait a while for it, but I've been shooting enough of it lately my stock is running low.
Old March 13, 2013, 08:50 PM   #63
reynolds357

They order me stuff all the time. Until I got to know the sporting goods manager I had to pre-pay for it, but only did that a few times. Now he just orders it. Cant order .223 stuff right now, but if its in the system they will order it.
Old March 13, 2013, 08:54 PM   #64
ScottRiqui

If you can order it, keep in mind that there may be multiple SKU numbers for CCI Mini-Mags. Our local Wal-Mart carries (carried) them in the 100-round plastic trays, as well as the 1600-round ammo can (which is just a plastic can with 16 10-round trays in it), and I think there's also a 375-round "Swamp People" bulk box, although I don't know if W-M carried that.

When I was pricing it, I think the 1600-round pack was (not surprisingly) the cheapest way to go on a per-round basis.
Old March 13, 2013, 10:54 PM   #65
Colorado Redneck

2008---Gun owners/reloaders got their underwear all in a bunch over the incoming president, coupled with the military rebuilding low stocks. Shelves were empty for some time. However, the new president didn't even sniff at gun control.

2013---Gun owners get their underwear all in a bunch over the same president being re-elected, even though nothing happened in his first term. Shelves started going bare in August, after the polls started showing that Romney probably couldn't win. Sandy Hook happened, and some politicians are talking about 1)stronger background checks 2)limited magazines 3)proposed assualt weapon bans 4)Mental health 5)research on gun violence. Reloading components disappeared as if by magic. Assault style weapons were being purchased by people that had never owned a gun.

Nowhere do I see anything about ammunition bans, component bans, consfiscation of firearms, nor does it look possible that anything significant will even happen. Yet there are those that predict that soon we will not even be able to buy reloading supplies.

In a year, when this has blown over, will we have learned anything?
Old March 14, 2013, 06:33 AM   #66
rajbcpa

I like this post.

...it shows people's motivations and that is interesting...
Old March 14, 2013, 07:36 AM   #67
eldermike

Redneck, we have learned that people will fly off like huge flock of birds when one bird senses something and hits the sky. It's a visual image I have in my head.

If I were running a LGS I would daily post rumor and speculation of the pending end of all shooting sports, I would agree with my customers that the end is near: and just watch the birds fly as I count my money.
Old March 14, 2013, 07:41 AM   #68
breakingcontact

Re: LGS = worthless to the non-hoarding non-prepping public

^really glad you don't run an LGS^
Old March 14, 2013, 08:03 AM   #69
eldermike

Said for effect, I would not actually lie to people on purpose. And, it's not necessary when your customers are doing a fine job of it on the other side of the counter.

I just heard one tell another that we were all going to be taking anger managment classes before we would buy ammo.........low information is dangerous.

One bird takes off and the whole flock heads for the sky. "where are we going"?

Low information panic
Old March 14, 2013, 08:09 AM   #70
rajbcpa

I live in NY. New laws in NY now restrict ammo transactions and will eliminate internet sales of ammo and components as soon as the NY ammo background check system is established (setup)....

...so YES - the scare that is causing the ammo and ammo component shortage is VERY REAL AND JUSTIFIABLE!

Similar ammo restriction laws are being considered in Colorado, NJ, Mass., CT, Maryland and other states.

If you are not scared about the restrictions on ammo and ammo components you probably live in Texas. ...the rest of the country is justifiably scared because enactment of new restrictive gun and ammo laws are happening all over.
Old March 14, 2013, 08:13 AM   #71
ScottRiqui

Quote:
I live in NY. New laws in NY now restrict ammo transactions and will eliminate internet sales of ammo and components as soon as the NY ammo background check system is established (setup)....
I don't think there's anything in the NY law that addresses reloading components.
Old March 14, 2013, 08:20 AM   #72
reloader28

Since your too lazy to spell it out, I'm assuming LGS is local gun store.

I guess we're hoarders. Went into an "LGS" the other day and bought out the entire supply of Bullseye. All 6lbs.
Why? Because they didnt have an 8lb keg.
It was a good price and we shoot alotts Bullseye. Since my previous 8lb keg is all but empty, we emptied the store.

Except for testing out a new powder, I didnt know there was anyone that buys only a pound of powder at a time. I sure dont go into a store and buy only 100 primers.
Old March 14, 2013, 08:23 AM   #73
zincwarrior

Quote:
Redneck, we have learned that people will fly off like huge flock of birds when one bird senses something and hits the sky. It's a visual image I have in my head.

If I were running a LGS I would daily post rumor and speculation of the pending end of all shooting sports, I would agree with my customers that the end is near: and just watch the birds fly as I count my money.
I think a large portion of the frenzy posts on gun sites are just that: LGS 's and flippers.
Old March 14, 2013, 09:04 AM   #74
rajbcpa

Have you tried to buy ammo components or ammo in Mass? ...since Mitt Romney signed ammo restriction legislation into law as Mass governor this is not possible without permission and an ammo purchase license from the state.

The new NY law on ammo purchase restrictions does not specifically state that a background check is required for the purchase of powder, primers, brass, bullets and which eliminates all Internet purchases. However, the ATF classifies these items as "ammo" and, therefore, the NY legislature fully intended that the new law would apply to ammo components.

Once the NY background check system is in place, I doubt USPS, UPS, FedEx will ship hazardous materials to NY addresses (non FFLs) but we will wait and see.

In the mean time, I am hoarding in NY like crazy and, apparently, I am not alone.
Old March 14, 2013, 09:46 AM   #75
maillemaker

I wish I had the kind of disposable income some of you guys seem to have to be a "hoarder". I buy my powder a pound at a time.

Gun stores are in a bit of a fix in times like this. There was a great post over on reddit by a gun store owner. The problem is that unless you are a huge gun store moving large amounts of product, when the supply chain tightens up it is very hard for them to get product. They are in line behind all the big boys.

As a result, they have to raise prices by a lot. Profit margins are normally very thin anyway. They have to make up for it on volume in order to keep the doors open. When the supply goes away there is no longer any way to make it up on volume. If you can only sell 2 ARs a week because that is all you can get, you have to make a lot more profit on those 2 guns to keep the doors open.

I try to support my local gun stores so that when I need something now I can drive down and get it. But I am a little annoyed with their pricing. I bought 2 boxes of .243 Winchester (40 rounds total) for $60 from JC's here in Huntsville. Then I found it for nearly half that at Walmart (one of the few boxes of ammo in the case, I might add). Likewise black powder is $26 a pound from JC's (the only local store that carries it), but I can order it from Back Creek Gun Shop in Winchester VA for $15 a pound. That's almost double the price.

I'm almost resigned to buying in bulk with the hazmat fee even though I can't really afford to buy in bulk quantities.

Steve
Closed Thread