The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 9, 2012, 09:19 AM   #1
rebs

dillon rl 450 ?

Does anyone have one and can tell me about it, pro's and con's ?
Old September 9, 2012, 09:23 AM   #2
WESHOOT2

Call Dillon direct and ask.
Old September 9, 2012, 10:24 AM   #3
243winxb

Dillon RL 450

Have one, bought new years ago. It loads ammo slowly. Had a major problem with shell plates for bottle neck cartridges. The 223 shell plate is a different thickness at each station. The shoulder can be set back way to much on full lenght sizing, causing case separations. Always use a cartridge gage like L E Wilson to chech sizing. The press now needs a rebuild, so Dillon thinks, but it has always had a problem at the sizing station. When FL sizing 45 acp the case cant always find the die mouth, requiring hand positioning of the brass. Slop in the linkage from new, causes this, but an allignment pin can help. This adjusts the subplate. Newer modern dies have more of a flare on the FL carbide dies, helping alignment. Follow photo album link below for Dillon RL 450 pic album & info.
Old September 9, 2012, 03:18 PM   #4
1stmar

You can upgrade a 450 to a 550
Old September 9, 2012, 03:54 PM   #5
243winxb

Dillon RL 450 Test

There is a test to see if the linkage is worn. Move the operating handle so its parallel to the floor. Move handle left and right. If the ram & sub-plate rotate a large amount, it needs a upgrade/rebuild.
Old September 9, 2012, 11:55 PM   #6
medalguy

I have 2 of them I use for rifle cases. I've never had a problem with either of them except for adjustments to the priming system, hence I only use them for rifle cases and I don't use the 450 for priming.

I prepare all the brass on a single stage press, them prime on a bench-mounted RCBS Autoprime. Next the brass goes into the 450, where I charge, seat, and crimp the cases.

The 450 is not the best press for pistol cases. You will want to upgrade to the 550, or probably better yet, sell the 450 on evilbay, and buy a new 550. The 450 will do very well for pistol cases in one pass.

Depending on the type ammo you want to reload, the 450 might work very well, or a 550 might be better.
Old September 10, 2012, 09:34 AM   #7
BDS-THR

Dillon 450 is a 4 station progressive press without removable tool head for dies and came with manual powder/primer feed attachments and manual shellplate advance.

Because of manual powder/primer feed, progressive loading on 450 can be slow but you can upgrade both with a conversion kits from Dillon.

I have 2 other progressives (1 turret and 2 single stage presses) so the 450 is used dedicated to a caliber and solid top works like a single stage to give me precise OAL consistency control which I like.

http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p/8/catid/6

450 to 550 conversion body with removable tool head will cost you $95, auto powder measure $89, auto priming attachment $86, auto case eject $60, low primer warning kit $26. The upgrade will run you around $350 but you can sell the solid top body to recoup some of the upgrade cost.
Old September 11, 2012, 08:49 PM   #8
crowbeaner

I have an RL450 bought new and still running. I can't begin to count how many rounds in various calibers it's loaded; several thousand this year alone. I consider it the best reloader ever made by anyone at any price. you can have your 550 if you want; I'll stick with my manual operation. No double charges, no empty rounds, nada. When I get enough money saved up, I'm going to buy another used one for dedicated 223 and 380 loading. I've had a 650, SDB, and a 550. I sold them all and still load on the 450. I may not break the world record for amount loaded in an hour, but I'm retired and don't have anything but time. YMMV. CB.