The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 23, 2009, 08:22 PM   #1
semi_problomatic

can't get primers in casing

I'm using a RCBS hand primer trying to load CCI large rifle primers into a once fired case. Primers won't feed into the case, I measured one primer against the one I popped out of the fired brass and they're the same size. What gives? Oh yeah...I just got the RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Kit from the bass pro, set it all up today, read through the manuals for two weeks, and again tonight. I've read the ABC's of reloading cover to cover and nothing covers this, all the RCBS manual says is don't force it. Any suggestions?

Last edited by semi_problomatic; October 24, 2009 at 02:18 PM.
Old October 23, 2009, 08:35 PM   #2
armoredman

First question, is it NATO brass? Does it have a little circle with a plus sign inside on the headstamp? If so, you probably will have to ream out the primer pocket, as military primers are crimped. This crimp needs to go away before you can re prime them. Dillon makes a great tool for that, the Super Swage, IIRC.
Old October 23, 2009, 08:38 PM   #3
stump shooter

Another vote to verify if it's crimped brass.

A swager might be in order.
Old October 23, 2009, 11:59 PM   #4
Edward429451

I'll take it! I like nato brass. I'll send you 308 Win brass 1 for 1 for it, oince fired.
Old October 24, 2009, 12:17 PM   #5
semi_problomatic

No its civilian bought Winchester. THE VERY FIRST PIECE OF BRASS I'VE EVER TRIED TO RELOAD!!! No crimp and the bottom says WCC 08 with a O'ed x on top left. Ah crap... I guess it is nato brass...

Last edited by semi_problomatic; October 24, 2009 at 02:20 PM.
Old October 24, 2009, 02:54 PM   #6
bcl32

Get you a primer pocket reamer or a primer pocket swager, then you can use them.
Old October 24, 2009, 03:14 PM   #7
dozernomore

I do believe the rcbs hand primer comes with 2 primer seater's,and 2 set's of plastic housings for large and small rifle primers,,,you don't have a little mix up ???? maybe ??
Old October 24, 2009, 04:19 PM   #8
Alleykat

Quote:
I do believe the rcbs hand primer comes with 2 primer seater's,and 2 set's of plastic housings for large and small rifle primers,,,you don't have a little mix up ???? maybe ??
Think that's a good answer, when he's already "discovered" that his primer pockets are crimped?
Old November 1, 2009, 01:18 AM   #9
semi_problomatic

Haha thsnks allykat. Even though the size of that lityle bar wouldnt keep the primers from loading anyway. Haha. Yeah im a jack@ss but how was i supposed to know the lil x meant nato? Oh well
Old November 1, 2009, 02:01 AM   #10
armoredman

Take Edward up on his trade offer, or buy a swager. Good luck!
Old November 1, 2009, 02:17 AM   #11
Unclenick
Staff

WCC is Western Cartridge Company. Winchester's commercial market brass is usually stamped W-W, for Winchester-Western these days, though they actually have used quite a number of other military and commercial headstamps over the years, ranging from a simple "W" to the whole word "WINCHESTER" written in an arc. The easiest way to tell commercial from U.S. military brass is the later has a standard format consisting of the maker initials and the last two digits of the year of manufacture. So, the 08 means it was made in 2008, and not that it is .308. Commercial brass usually has both the company mark and the name of the chambering on it with no year.

There are actually two NATO symbols you'll encounter. One is that circle and crosshair symbol, which means the ammo will function in NATO compliant arms, but the ballistics are whatever the cartridge is deigned to do. The other is a little fat lobed cross that looks sort of like a four-leaf clover. That means it is NATO Standardization Agreement compliant ball (147 +/- 3 gr. bullet with an MV of 2750 +/- 50 feet per second).
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle