The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 11, 2005, 07:52 AM   #1
LEE3370

Need info on ASM 1st model Dragoon

Does anyone have an Armi San Marco 1st model Dragoon? I need to know the diameter of the cylinder pin. All I need is the measurement of where the cylinder rides. It is an ASM.
Thanks, Lee
Old September 13, 2005, 08:57 AM   #2
saaman

My ASM Dragoons both measure .569 inch as near as I can read my dial caliper--they are first and third models. The center hole in the cylinder measures .572 on one and .571 on the other.

On both of these ASM Dragoons, the chambers came undersized and gave 6 or 7 inch groups at 20 yards. On one of them I reamed the chambers out, increasing them from about .448 to a uniform .450--now that pistol gives 2 to 3 inch groups at the same range. I used a dowel wrapped in sandpaper and reamed the front third of the chambers by hand, checking my progress frequently. When I have time, the other gun will get the same treatment.
Old September 14, 2005, 06:42 AM   #3
LEE3370

Diameter

Howdy saaman,
Thank You Very Much for the measurement. It is just what I needed.
I don't know about the chamber measurements yet, I don't have a cylinder.
For my hobby, I buy parts/pieces of black powder revolvers and rebuild them. It is something to do with my retirement time and a lot of satisfaction to take a "dead" gun and make it "live" again.
Again, Thank You,
Lee
Old September 14, 2005, 07:30 AM   #4
saaman

I do the same thing though I just now retired. Used to repair cap n ball revolvers for gunfight re-enactors and they were very rough on guns, so I have a lot of experience.
Old September 14, 2005, 01:07 PM   #5
mec

I'm glad you showed up and told him. Saaman got that asm dragoon shooting really good.

below are pictures of saaman's asm dragoon

Last edited by mec; August 28, 2010 at 09:22 PM.
Old September 15, 2005, 07:52 AM   #6
LEE3370

ASM measurements

The measurements were what I needed to know that what I had was not a 1st model dragoon. What I bought is a frame with all the internals. It has the rounded grip cutouts like the Walker, but it has a cylinder pin diameter of .589". Now I think it may be from an ASM Whitneyville Hartford Dragoon.
That is why I am doing this. Learn a lot and uses a lot of time.
Lee