The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 30, 2007, 12:02 AM   #26
Hawg

Quote:
botfly infestations which the old folks call 'wolfs' for some reason.
They're also known as wolf worms.
I don't get a lot of chances to hunt so I hunt whatever the weather is. Here it's usually t-shirt and jeans until after the first of January, maybe an unlined denim jacket in the mornings and late evenings. After that the temps usually drop to below 30 degrees, sometimes down to the teens but not very often so a pair of long johns under the jeans and a quilted flannel shirt over the t-shirt and maybe a jacket depending on temp.
Old September 30, 2007, 12:54 AM   #27
CamoCop

what's it like to hunt in weather under 85 degree's? here in Florida, we have no winter.
Old October 2, 2007, 03:08 PM   #28
FirstFreedom

Quote:
what's it like to hunt in weather under 85 degree's?
It is (unfortunately for you) infinitely more enjoyable than hunting in 80+ deg weather. I feel for you. How do youens even keep your meat from spoiling? I am envisioning an olympic-style "speed-skinning" competition to get the thing small enough to fit in a cooler in the fastest possible time.
Old October 2, 2007, 06:21 PM   #29
crowbeaner

I think we need a new Olympic event called the deer drag. 3 categories will do. Cat. (1) is a 100 lb. sack of feed in a burlap bag to be dragged 1/2 mile to the car/truck. Cat. (2) is 2 100 lb. sacks the same distance to mimic the bigger bucks we have up here. Cat. (3) is 3 100 lb. bags to mimic the Canadian monsters of Alberta etc. All drags are to be made in full camo hunting regalia with a shouldered 8 lb. gun, a backpack weighing 20 lbs., and 20 rounds of ammo on your belt. All drags MUST be done in 1 hour to beat dark. No sleds or skid sheets allowed. No helpers are allowed. All finishers must endure 20 minutes of questioning by a game official at the end of the drag. All finishers must LOAD the weight by themselves onto a table the same height as a tailgate/trunk. All finishers must have a valid hunting license, and at least 10 hours of hunter safety. Did I miss anything? Hope this helps make your day. Enjoy. CB.