The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 28, 2013, 06:58 PM   #1
L2R

opinions about a Browning Silver Hunter

I have an offer which includes a trade.

Not a lot of info out there on this. It gets good reviews like almost all guns do by those who shot them for a day.

Looking for someone who owns one rather than someone who owns another competitor.

For the money, it is right.

Question is, is it right for trap and sporting clays?
Old April 29, 2013, 01:01 PM   #2
BigJimP

Citor's field grade guns....Lightning, White Lightning, Silver Hunter series, Satin Hunter, etc....are all solid guns. They all have the legendary strong Citori barrel to receiver lockup.

I still have a number of my Citori field grade O/U's in 12ga and 20ga with 28" barrels ...forerunners of these series I listed above today ...from the late 1980's.../ all of them have well over 250,000 shells thru them with no issues.
-----------
Its right for Trap, or Skeet, or sporting clays....if it fits you ??

All of the Browning field grade O/U's have angled stocks on them...so drop at comb, drop at heel and length of pull are all critical on "Fit" ....and the only way you can tell if it "Fits" is to go to a pattern board, put in a Full choke at 25 yds, and see what the pint of impact is ( shoot at a 3" Dot ) ...and see if you need some adjustment in the stock - to fit you ...so it hits where you look !
-------------
In general....( if they fit ) field guns(especially Browning's O/U's - are just fine for sporting clays ...and probably skeet. They aren't optimal for Trap ...but they're just fine for casual Trap shooting ...or for anyone that wants one gun to do most everything with.

In the Citroi line of guns...I think the Citori XS Skeet model with the parallel comb ...especially with an adj comb...in 30" barrels is a better gun ( in the field on live birds, or for sporting or skeet...).../ and a model like the Citroi XT Trap in 32" barrels is a better Trap gun - but not a good gun, for general shotgunning.
------------
If the gun you've found is in good shape...is still reasonably tight...and fits you ...and its in your budget, I don't think its a bad buy for an entry level O/U that you'll probably keep for a long time -even if you move on to some of the other more specialized models in the Citroi line of Brownings.
Old April 29, 2013, 05:45 PM   #3
LSnSC

I'm assuming you are talking about the Silver Hunter autoloader.
If so, it is fine for sporting, but less than optimal for trap. My youngest shoots scholastic sporting clays with one and it has been super reliable.
Old April 29, 2013, 06:01 PM   #4
L2R

thanks gang

Yes, it is a semi auto.
It is back bored and has invector plus chokes.

I got to try it out today and it is going home with me.

I really could not find much about these.

No doubt Benelli's and Baretta's are great.

It just felt good to me, pointed good and recoil was minimal. I enjoyed shooting it and it looks good to boot.

Guess I will figure this thing out as I go.
Old April 29, 2013, 06:52 PM   #5
BigD_in_FL

Browning makes good guns, whether O/U or auto. With a modicum of reasonable care, your grandkids will be passing it down to their grandkids
Old April 30, 2013, 07:36 AM   #6
94bluerat

I have a Gold Hunter. It has a couple features not found on the Silver. Speedload and Magazine cut off I believe. My Gold has ran great since 2003.

Good gun, enjoy it!

Rifleman
BSA Eagle Scout
Old April 30, 2013, 10:29 AM   #7
BigJimP

My mistake ...on my assumption you were talking about one of the derivations of the Browning field grade O/U's....they have so many names I lose track of them....

http://www.browning.com/products/cat...id=013&tid=497

But yes, I agree the silver series semi-auto ...and specifically the hunter model...is a good all around entry level semi-auto for the money.