The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 14, 2013, 08:56 PM   #1
hotrod_361

Nosler accubond bullets

New to forum great stuff guys. I was looking at the nosler accubond (308) for whitetail hunting. Any one use these and did they have good knock down( oneshot humane kill) thanks for your help.
Old February 14, 2013, 09:21 PM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I can't speak to the Nosler Accubond in particular but I can say that bullets that hit the important parts will kill animals quickly and bullets that don't, won't. The inherent accuracy of the firearm/bullet/load combination and your ability to put it on target is, far and away, the primary factor. Any bullet built for big game, and frankly most that aren't, will do the job if you do yours.
Old February 14, 2013, 09:35 PM   #3
hotrod_361

So true just know some bullets don't have great mushroom chariterists. But nothing replaces practice ,practice,practice. Oh yea and good knowledge of firearm and your pry.
Old February 15, 2013, 12:37 AM   #4
DeerSlayer86

My hunting partner uses the 150 grain AB in his 308 and he doesn't have any problems. I was with him last year last year and he shot a buck at about 290 yards and it dropped like a rock..it was a very well placed shot though. That has probably been brought up already...shot placement, shot placement, shot placement ! Figure that part out and the bullet selection is less important. Any of the good bullets (nosler,barnes,swift,Sierra,etc) will work very well on game, especially whitetail. They're not that hard to kill!! For my buddies rifle though...his recipe was 150 nosler AB, IMR4064(54.something?? Grains) about 2950 fps in a 22" barrel...fun stuff
Old February 15, 2013, 01:16 PM   #5
hotrod_361

Yea jus don't like bullets that come apart and fragment. Nothing worse than taking a bite of leadin your steak.
Old February 15, 2013, 01:49 PM   #6
sig220mwxxxx

Deer are much harder to see than to kill. Once you see them, any spire point designed bullet made by all of the manufacturers will do. They have all been proven to be up to the task since deer aren't all that bullet resistant. If you want to load a tougher bullet by all means do so but you'll be spending more money than necessary at least for whitetails.

What exactly is a chairterist?
Old February 15, 2013, 03:31 PM   #7
hooligan1

I have used Accubonds in three different calibers for three years now and have shot four deer with the .270 win 130 grainers. One shot deer kills are the norm, and they do exactly what they were made to do, penetrate and hold together while being very accurate.
They are easily as accurate as any Ballistic tipped bullet from Any maker, but they bonded and I like the performance.
The very first deer I killed with an Accubond was a doe that jumped and ran along a field, my shot caught her in mid stride right in front of her udders and went all the way into her chest cavity, but I couldn't find that bullet for the life of me, it's all I could think about, because I found no exit, (because her stomach was full of grass) but it blew her hearty up and bloodshot her lungs to mush,,,, oh yeah that was my first deer with my Savage 110, .270 win.
Old February 17, 2013, 09:23 AM   #8
Chick

I used up 3 boxes of 140 gr Accubonds, trying to find a load that would shoot worth a darn in my Rem Mod 700 7mm08. I could not find a load that was acceptable to me. About the best I could get was sub 2" groups, but not by much. I went back to the Ballistic Tips, and the group dropped to sub 1" group.
Old February 17, 2013, 10:08 AM   #9
hooligan1

I get 3/4 moa or better (usually me) with 140 grain Accubonds in my 7mm rem mag, and I get a little better precision with 160 grain Accubonds in the same rifle, but this rifle shoots 5 loads very nicely, 140 Accubond, 160 Accubond, 150 Ballistic Tip, 150 Partition, 139 grain Hornady BTSP Custom ammo.
I consider this rifle to be my best, at trying new bullets, but it wouldn't shoot Swift Sirroccos worth a crap,
Old February 17, 2013, 12:54 PM   #10
Horseman

Scirrocco's are known to be sensitive to seating depth. Once you find it they're very accurate.

Accubonds will work well for the OP's purpose. I've shot a few deer with them. They will hold together better than a ballistic tip but are more violent expanders than Partitions. They're a good deer bullet for sure. They are sometimes just as accurate as the ballistic tips too.
Old February 18, 2013, 03:10 AM   #11
math teacher

My buddies and I ave killed 17 moose with Accubonds. Deer drop so fast that we lose sight of them in the recoil. Actually they are a better bullet than is necessary for deer.