The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 21, 2008, 12:38 AM   #26
jhansman

Well said TexasSeaRay. I've heard the same garbage about Lee equipment since I started reloading, usually from the 'green' crowd. FWIW, I just made a batch of .223 using Federal primers and the Lee Auto Prime tool. No problems, but that has been long since established. No point in speculating if Lee is in cahoots with CCI/Winchester/whatever. I will make the point to the Lee haters that my .223 ammo out of my Savage 12VLP groups well under an inch (often a half inch) at 100yds, from brass neck sized with the Lee collet die. Can't explain it-must be luck.
Old February 21, 2008, 12:45 AM   #27
DWARREN123

I use Lee reloading equipment and Federal small pistol primers and have never had a problem.
Old February 21, 2008, 01:55 AM   #28
darrentxs

I heard Daniel Boone & Davey Crocket used to argue about who made the best flints.
Old February 21, 2008, 02:08 AM   #29
inkie

Federal Primers

I have been using Federal to load my ammo and shot shells for many years without any problems and they always go bang! I use a Dillon, Mec and a Pacific. I am happy this thread was started because I had to get 5k of Winchester small pistol primers this week. The dealer said he can't keep Federal in stock as they are sold as soon as he gets the shipment. Hopefully if enough of you stop using Federal Primers I can once again purchase all I need.
Old February 22, 2008, 08:29 AM   #30
WESHOOT2

"spade, meet spade"

Let's get past color wars for just a wee minute and go 'real life'.
Just for a minute....

LEE junk is junk, but many folks find it first meets their budget, and then, after purchase, it meets their needs.

Not 'bad'; 'good'.

But to presume just because one has never had a 'problem' does not automatically make the brand itself immune.
Ay?

Some have enough brands to be able to actually compare, and find their needs best met with other less junky brands.
And there IS that warranty 'thing'.....

But, while I no longer use my pair of broken LEE hand-priming units ('cause they're broken, see?), I still regularly use one of my broken LEE presses, and many LEE dies, and the chamfer tool and the primer pocket cleaner, and advise they offer the finest funnel.

And Dillon, while 'good', offers free replacement parts for a reason ('cause NO ONE would buy one if they didn't).

When in doubt buy RCBS; they absolutely earned their rep.

I am most drefinitely not a tooling snob, but I am certainly able to recognize reality......anyone else?
Old February 22, 2008, 08:55 AM   #31
Musketeer

I am certain that the BMW 7 series is better made than my Saturn but my Saturn gets the job done for a reasonable price.

Not everyone can afford a BMW 7 series and it is nice to know there is something else out there which meets the basic demand. That does not make it junk though.

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin
Old February 22, 2008, 09:55 AM   #32
WESHOOT2

BMW forum over there.....

We are talking about junky LEE equipment, not junky German cars.....
Old February 22, 2008, 02:33 PM   #33
Crosshair

The only problem with using them from my experience is that they are much easier to crush than other primers so you have to make sure everything is lined up right. Just a little extra care and no problems for me when using Federals in my Lee equipment. Have not had one go boom yet.
Old February 22, 2008, 04:45 PM   #34
wncchester

I've used Lee's Auto Prime and Auto Prime II since they first came out. Used every kind of primers, never had a bobble with any but accept I could have IF I get ham-fisted with them.

I also use every brand of loading equipment, including several no longer available and have never had any quality problem with anything in a red box. And have only had to take advantage of big green's customer service a couple of times. I do see that a good number of folks have some reason to exhault both RCBS and Dillion's customer service tho. ??? Why might that be?
Old February 22, 2008, 07:40 PM   #35
Casimer

I suspect that LEE's warning is also motivated by their recognition that many of their customers are new to reloading - i.e. they may not understand that you shouldn't force a primer, especially a soft one.
Old February 22, 2008, 09:33 PM   #36
Tim R

Lee has said not to use Federal Primers for at least 25 years!

That's how long I've been filling primer pockets with a Lee hand held auto prime. I use more CCI and Remington primers than any thing else but I do have a tuned up 308 M-1 where I use Federal Gold match primers. (firing pin been sprung) I also use Federal primers for use in a slicked up 686. I've not had problems with the Federal's in the Lee hand primer tool.

I've got a little color from about all the reloading manfs. I don't care for Lee dies or about any thing lese they make other than the priming tool. I think their shell holders are loose compaired to RCBS. And I drive a couple of Fords and a Toyota. I still have my first car, a 55 Ford F-100 purchased in Sept of 1970 in the garage as we speak.
Old February 22, 2008, 10:06 PM   #37
ForneyRider

I use CCI, Remington, Federal, and Winchester primers in Lee equipment.
All good.

The Lee literature also says something about only 10 WLP primers in the primer tray. I load it full.
Old February 22, 2008, 10:14 PM   #38
jackwillis

Well, since I orignally posed this question there have been many answers. Being new to reloading and to this forum I have learned a few things about both via this one question. 1) There is alot of brand loyalty out there. 2) There is a tremendous amount of experience in this forum. 3) And, to each his own. Thanks to you all for your input.
Old February 22, 2008, 11:28 PM   #39
Unregistered

I think one reason that there are more complaints about Lee is because there are more Lee products out there than some other brands.

Some Lee stuff is OK. Their classic cast press is fine and works as well as any press... but there isn't as much opportunity to screw up a single stage press than a progressive.

Their Classic Turret press is OK for pistol rounds and 223, but I don't think it is too great for other rifle rounds.

The Pro-Auto Disk is so-so. It works OK, and at least its fast, but its not as accurate as a Uniflow.
Old February 24, 2008, 12:10 PM   #40
BigDog454

I prefer Win primers. That being said, I have a lee 1000 pro the only problem I have is with the primer feed. The lee primer feed will only feed smooth primers; ie. primers that are shinny, crome plated etc. Win primers hang up and will not feed properly. So, when I want to use the progressive press I have to make sure that I have slippery primers, CCI, Fed, etc. I only use this press to load for serious target shooting and will load 500 or so rounds of 38 at a setting. For loading my .454 casull I have had too many misfires and hang fires with CCI, When I switched to Win primers in the .454 all of those problems went away.
Old February 24, 2008, 02:08 PM   #41
snuffy

First, I use a LOT of lee products. The reason is, because no one else makes what lee makes. The factory crimp die, the collet neck sizer, the disc powder measure. powder dippers,,,,, do I need to go on? I will NOT claim that lee dies have the quality of say redding, forster or even RCBS. The fit and finish is not as good. But ya know what? they work!

Richard Lee is a genius. His innovations are displayed in the dies no one else makes. He must be doing something right, others have copied his designs. Some,(K&M), use his priming tool shell holders for their precision primer seater.

My bench is also multi colored. A Bonanza co-ax, next to a Hornady 366,, on the other side is a brand new lee classic turret. On the end is a Lyman 450 lubber. Another bench has only a dillon XL 650 on it. A third bench has a lee chalanger, a MEC 600 jr, and a lee pro 20 lead melter. Dies from lee, Hornady, Lyman, RCBS, Redding, Forster, and Bonanza.

As for the primer issue, I use whatever I can get. A special deal came up for some Federal lg pistol primers. I got 5K for $95.00. I didn't hesitate because I use a lee auto prime, or the dillon stack-em-up tube feed. I have yet to detonate a primer while loading, I doubt I ever will,(well once when useing a lee hammer tool)!

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old February 24, 2008, 02:39 PM   #42
Wildalaska

By the way, just so the record is clear, I use Lee dippers as an adjunct to my Lyman 1200 press, and for loading 7.62 nagant rounds.

WildthatsitAlaska TM
Old February 24, 2008, 02:39 PM   #43
BerettaBill

I just started using some Federal small pistol primers to load my 40 S&W rounds. I have a Lee primer tool and last night I noticed that one of the primers got mangled by the Lee tool. Now I don't know if it was something I did or if the primer was like that out of the package or what. I just kind of wrote it off as a random mishap. This is just a wild hypothesis based on your conversation with the Lee rep. and my incident last night but maybe the federal primers are too soft or pliable for the Lee tool.
Old February 24, 2008, 02:42 PM   #44
TexasSeaRay

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffy
Richard Lee is a genius. His innovations are displayed in the dies no one else makes. He must be doing something right, others have copied his designs.
I'll wholeheartedly, enthusiastically second that.

I doubt any one individual is more responsible for getting more shooters into the hobby of reloading than Richard Lee.

His cost-effective production combined with out-of-the-box thinking designs and innovations set the standard for others to challenge themselves to keep up with.

I like RCBS, Hornady, Dillon, Lyman . . . have stuff from all of them, and it's all good stuff. I've had problems over the years with all of their stuff, Lee included. Tools are tools. I've had problems with Craftsman, Mac and Snap-On tools over the years as well.

I've had problems with my Sea Ray boat that Bayliner owners haven't had--Sea Ray is supposed to be the "Dillon" of the boat world, but they have their warts like everyone else. Occasionally I take some ribbing about owning and flying a Cessna (have had two now) from the Bonanza owners. I smile and point out that my annuals cost a fraction of what theirs do, my fuel costs are half, parts are a third of what Beechcraft parts are, etc etc.

And the bottom line is my Cessna gets me where I want to go reliably and safely--and again, for far less than if I were to buy a Bonanza. Does this mean I "hate" Beechcraft? Not at all! It simply means I make my purchasing decisions based upon a combination of my wants, needs, budget and expectations.

With that criteria, Lee reloading equipment has served me extremely well over the years and will continue to do so. So has my RCBS, Lyman, Dillon and Hornady equipment.

Jeff

So to those of you who are members of neither, thanks for nothing.
Old February 24, 2008, 02:49 PM   #45
Wildalaska

Quote:
Occasionally I take some ribbing about owning and flying a Cessna (have had two now) from the Bonanza owners. I smile and point out that my annuals cost a fraction of what theirs do, my fuel costs are half, parts are a third of what Beechcraft parts are, etc etc.
Thread drift but point out that Cessna's are the F150s of the Alaska Skies...everywhere...arent many Bonanzas on floats or skies...

WildcarryonewiththeleefestAlaska TM
Old February 25, 2008, 03:32 AM   #46
billiam915

Lee #1

I own nothing but LEE tools. they have never let me down. The one time i had a problem with a LEE perfect powder measure, LEE made it right free of charge. Hands down, LEE products just make sense. BUT ON THE SUBJECT OF THE FEDERAL PRIMERS- LEE KNOWS THIER FACTS. AND IF LEE SAYS NO FEDERAL PRIMERS, THEN NO FEDERAL PRIMERS.
Old February 25, 2008, 07:13 PM   #47
Mark B

yikes!
I've been using 150s in my Autoprime for ever.
Old February 26, 2008, 03:35 PM   #48
629 shooter

Quote:
What about Federal primers in the handheld Lee Auto Prime?
I have used plenty of Federal primers in my Lee Auto Prime with no problems at all.
Old February 26, 2008, 11:43 PM   #49
tharmer

I had a primer chain explosion with my Lee Loadmaster. Lee says two things about federal primers. 1) Don't use them. 2) use the blast deflector if you use them. Depends on which disclaimer you read.

A week after my primer detonation another primer blew. This didn't go up the chute into the primer tray, but it was enough for me

I sold the LM, bought a 550B and have had no problems with anything. I shoulda bought the Dillon the first time but I was busy being cheap. Didn't pay for me.
Old February 27, 2008, 12:44 AM   #50
Robert M Boren Sr

I have several brands of presses and lee equipment. I use my Dillon 550 for when I get a load worked up off of my single press. Here's how I do it, I get a new caliber, first thing is a caliber quick change for the Dillon and dies for it. Then I get a set of lee dies for the single stage. Yes two sets for each caliber. That way, when I work up a load I don't have to take the dies off the Dillon. As for the equipment argument, anything mechanical can and will fail at some point in time. I've had to replace pieces on all my presses from lee, Dillon, RCBS, Pacific, C&H, and the orange press, I can't think of the name right off hand, all are good presses all loaded excellent bullets provided I done my part. I buy what's on sale and usually get the lee dies because they cost less than the others. I love their factory crimp dies by the way. I use the lee zip trim, what a amazing tool that is, with the one size fits all jaws. Man I can go on and on. If there is a problem, nine times out of ten it was something I done. Now I never have had a primer go off on me. If I had to force one I stopped immediately and looked for the problem. Just don't force anything. I've used all brands of primers in my lee hand priming tool. No problems. I have always been careful not to force things and get in a big hurry. Just my 2 cents worth. I hate seeing one brand or another being dished.